Water???

Options
Ok I am stumped here.!! Would UNsweet tea count as water or a beverage? After all it is water with flavor.
Reason I ask is it is easier for me to drink lots of caffine free tea than water..

Thanks ahead for input !!!

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not count it
  • Pamelabradham
    Options
    So I still need to drink my daily water ontop of all the tea I drink??
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    In my opinion (actually my husbands opinion), your tea has more water in it than soda or coffee but not as much water as actual water. Maybe count a cup of tea as only a 3/4 serving. I would think it would count towards water since it is unsweetened.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, since you're going to use some of the water in the tea to digest the tea part, which makes it kind of hard to figure out how much actual water you're getting.

On the other hand, the 64oz of water/day thing is assumed to include water from foods and beverages, so if you're not feeling dehydrated, then say screw it and count the tea.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    As long as it's unsweetened, count the tea as water. Your body won't differentiate between the two, just like it doesn't differentiate between the water you get from food and the one you drink.
  • pdneedham
    Options
    Just. A few days into using MFP, so please excuse the noddy question. When measuring water intake what is a "cup". I am recording cups (1, 2,3 .etc) but in actuality each so called cup is a 250ml glass of water.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    When measuring water intake what is a "cup".

A cup is a unit of measuring volume. There are several standards commonly used — 240mL, 250mL, 8 fl. oz... They're all close enough to each other that you can use them interchangeably for the purposes of logging your fluid intake. Don't sweat the small stuff!
  • schaaf95
    schaaf95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me personally, if I am not drinking water am drinking unsweetened iced tea. I was told by my doctor that it will give me my water intake of the 64 oz goal and give my body the caffiene that it needs. I am not sure if that truly answers your question, but essentally, tea is flavored water, which I assume would be the same as the flavor packets or Mio that you put in water bottles without all of the sugar. My wife "does not like the taste of water" so she drinks iced tea, she has lost 60 lbs so far using tea instead of water.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! And if you are sick of water have seltzer!
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking herbal tea or decaffeinated black tea? Teas and coffees, whether decaffeinated or not, act as a diuretic, which expel water from your body and dehydrate you. Good rule of thumb is for every ounce of caffeinated or decaffeinated beverage, take in one ounce of regular water. At my desk I have a water cup with fluid ounces marked on the side and a coffee cup that is 12 ounces. This helps me do the math and stay hydrated.
    Another important factor to remember is that water aids in the digestive process as well as helping your cells move things around your body. The better hydrated you are, the quicker your body can metabolize your food and the more energy you will have. It also means that your body will be able to break down fats into energy better (YAY)!
    If you have a problem with the flavor of water, consider getting a Britta filter. Works WONDERS for our nasty tap down here in Arizona.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    Teas and coffees, whether decaffeinated or not, act as a diuretic, which expel water from your body and dehydrate you.

Yeah, no:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661