A reintroduction

Options
Hey all,

Tom here (again), a middle-aged fat man posting again after an extended period during which I ate everything that wasn't locked up. Somehow I'm still about the same weight as I was when I last weighed in here -- perhaps that's thanks to the extremely high blood sugars I began to experience, which caused some unexpected weight loss.

My doctor referred me out to the university hospital's endocrinology clinic, where they run a hardcore full meal replacement program aimed at rapid weight loss and controlling diabetes (with the ultimate goal of eliminating the need for diabetes medications). So I'm now on a pretty radical regimen of meal-replacement shakes 5-6 times per day, with only some non-starchy veggies and an occasional soup packet to mix things up. I'm now on day 4 of this program, the full-meal-replacement component of which will likely last three months (out of a total two-year commitment), but I'm already seeing a lot of positive changes.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello again and I'm back to logging on MFP. For now my food logs are full of HMR shakes, but in the fall I'll begin to add "real" food back into my diet, at which point this logging will become even more important. I'm looking to lose around 185 pounds, and if all goes well, I'll be awesomely thin for my 25-year college reunion in 2015. (That's not actually my big important goal, but it happens to be occurring right around the time that I hope to be reaching my goal weight.)

Replies