Struggling with Met

Options
jadeh218
jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
I can't seem to get over the side effect bump of metformin. I've been taking a dose at night before I go to bed, and I'm up with the runs, and nausea throughout the night. It's better than during the day though as I feel like dead man walking. Mainly just the nausea and the runs. Anyone else had anything like it? I've stopped and started on the metformin as I just haven't seemed to hit the stage where I've pushed through the other side of side effects. I've tried building up from a lower dose, and even feel dreadful on that. I've put up with it for a few weeks, but I just can't put life on hold! I'm not taking it at the moment, but I do need to go back onto it. Dr sympathises with me, but she says that it's the only drug available to help, and if I don't do this then I'm looking at other issues. I've already tried slow release as well as the normal tablets.

Replies

• MrsBluemoonButters
    Options
    I found the side effects went after about 3 weeks. I've now been taking 1500mg every day for around 11 months and no longer have any nasty side effects.

I always make sure I take it with food or after a meal as if I don't I do get a bit of upset stomach.

I agree the side affects are horrible but if stay with it the side effects should go after a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what dose you are on but I was told to start on 500mg a day for the first week, take 1000mg a day for the second week and then 1500mg a day from the third week. it may be worth building up to your recommended dose.
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get over the side effect bump of metformin. I've been taking a dose at night before I go to bed, and I'm up with the runs, and nausea throughout the night. It's better than during the day though as I feel like dead man walking. Mainly just the nausea and the runs. Anyone else had anything like it? I've stopped and started on the metformin as I just haven't seemed to hit the stage where I've pushed through the other side of side effects. I've tried building up from a lower dose, and even feel dreadful on that. I've put up with it for a few weeks, but I just can't put life on hold! I'm not taking it at the moment, but I do need to go back onto it. Dr sympathises with me, but she says that it's the only drug available to help, and if I don't do this then I'm looking at other issues. I've already tried slow release as well as the normal tablets.

Try some anti-diarrhea OTC.. once you get past the initial upset, it's not as bad. Try not to eat fatty foods around the time you take it, try to take it with crackers. I can say it gets better with time, but since taking the meds, I poo a lot more then usual. TMI.. sorry. I take 1000 2x a day... and on days that I know I am going to be doing something and don't have close access to bathrooms, I would take later in the evening, probably not good, but I didn't want to be caught without a potty. Good luck!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm BAND NEW to Metformin as well, but i have to say that the only side effect that i've had is that i have looser stools thani used to. Maybe a little bit of a stomach ache, but not TOO bad. I usualy do it with a VERY LARGE glass of water and make sure i drink a lot of water for the next hour or so. My only issue is the SIZE of the pill, but it is very easy to cut and take both halves seperatly.
  • jadeh218
    jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh good idea about some OTC diarrhea medications, might pair it with some buscopan for stomach too. I've stuck with it for over a month, and still not felt any difference. I've started on 1/2 500mg tablet once a day. I'm meant to go up to 850mg twice a day.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you on the XR version or just regular met? The extended release (XR) is supposed to be easier on the system, so might want to ask for it if you are not already on it. Also, echo others, definitely try to take it with food if it's really doing a number on you and at the same time of day for consistency until your system adjusts.
  • imgoingblue
    Options
    I just started taking Met three days ago and have found that taking it at night after dinner has worked well so far. Then my body has all night to adjust and I know that I'll always be near a bathroom!
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have been on Met for 4 years this year. My doctor started me on 500mlg at night for 2 weeks, and then moved me up an additional 500mlg every two weeks. I am taking 2000mlg every day now. My doctor also put me on a low fat low carb diet. If you high carb and take this medicine it will put you in the bathroom with some REALLY BAD pains. Still to this day I cannot eat pizza without getting super sick. I had some stomach pains but nothing like I was having when I first started and didn't want to listen to the Doctor and I ate what I wanted. I have had a few friends that have started taking MET and their doctors didn’t do this for them, and they couldn’t make it through the 1st week without quitting. I told them the way my doctor told me and they are a ok and made it through.

I hope this helps you! If you are interested you can add me as a Friend. I hope this will help with your PCOS!!