In praise of sleep

Options
One thing I know none of us is likely getting due to time of life/responsibilities is lots of sleep. Just had 10 hours last night and woke up feeling great PLUS - and this is the drumroll part - half a pound lighter. I think too little sleep makes me retain water - have noticed this before - and just letting myself crash for that long helped it drain off me. So, if you can, I say sleep! I don't know what the weather is like by you but here it is grey and wet and perfect for dreaming. Happy Sunday to you all.

Replies

• MNDAVEY
    Options
    You are sooo right- My doctor is always on me about sleeping for health and weight control. Your body needs time to heal and rest in order for your metabolism to be at the top of its game. Also less time awake=less time to eat, snack, graze. Unfortunatly for me I work the graveyard shift which I am convinced got its name from putting people in an early grave! In order to get a good "nights"" sleep it is really important to schedule my life around my sleep and not the other way around. Although in some cases it is very challenging- Doctors appointments, phone calls - all happen during my prime sleep time. I have gotten to the point where I need to turn my phone off during the day because of course I get calls all day- even people who know I work until 7am will call me at 2pm or 3pm and say "oh I figured you would be awake by now..." I don't even get home until 8am then I need to unwind a little...

Well I didnt mean to go on venting like that lol- I just really crave a more normal schedule and lots of sleep:grumble:
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I sleep for more than my usual 6 hours, I find I have more energy to tackle exercise the next day.
  • amyrllin
    Options
    I am a shift worker and I notice a huge change in how my body functions and how I feel when I am on night shift. I absolutely hate it!! I continually feel lethargic, grumpy and crave crap foods which I give into easily because I am too tired to want to make a decent meal. Also my running times really suck for days afterwards.
    I totally agree that sleep makes all the difference in your health and well being!!
  • cndrlla
    cndrlla Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Most "experts" recommend 7-8 hours of sleep per night to help with weight loss and overall health. I usually get 6, but I am trying to push for 7. :)
  • Cclye
    Cclye Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow..this one is going to be hard for me to do (beside cutting my carb).
    Sometimes, most of the time I sleep less than 6 hours . Last nite, I think only 3 hours !!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This is an area that I definitely struggle. I have seen on the news how getting enough sleep (at least 7.5 hours/night) will help with metabolism! I just can't seem to do it.

Anyone willing to private message me and help me fenagle my schedule (which may soon change) so that I can fit in everything that I need to and, HOPEFULLY, some stuff that I WANT to!???