First solo..

Options
I will be dancing my first solo at a Hafla in a cafe this Saturday. The nerves are rreally starting to kick in! Helpful tips/advice would be much appreciated. I really want this to go well : )

Replies

• LilithNoor
    Options
    How exciting!

Top tips from me -

Drink something before going on stage so your lips are not stuck to your teeth
    Smile - you don't have to grin inanely all the way through, but let them know you are happy to be there.
    Have a 'back up move' in your mind in case your choreography/improv ideas vanish mid step
    Remember to smile
    If you make a mistake, smile and move on. The audience will like you even more for not being untouchably perfect
    Smile again
    If you struggle to make eye contact, look just above someone's head instead - much better than looking at the floor!
    Still smiling!
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great tips from Lilith! How exciting!!

Enjoy yourself, and if Move X doesn't come out as planned, use Move Y and act like you planned it that way!

You'll do great! And yes, SMILE! :happy:

I'm still relatively new to soloing myself. I've found that even if you feel like you screwed up, you're the only one out there, so nobody knows it wasn't meant to be that way!! :flowerforyou:

Let us know how it goes!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    In addition to these tips - remember to breathe :) And remember your posture!
    Other than that, you'll be great - go knock em out.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is awesome! Good luck and enjoy! :heart:
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    Soooo, how'd it go?
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    Postponed! :( Friday afternoon I started with a bout of my kidney stones. I had such horrific back/pelvic pain, it just wasn't going to happen. The good news is, that I and a couple of my fellow students, have been invited to dance as guests of my instructor's troupe, this coming Saturday. It is an outdoor farm/craft/art market. It is usually very crowded/busy. I am waiting for her to e-mail me the rules for student guests. There is a possibility that I amy be allowed to do my solo there. Otherwise, I will bee scheduled for Labor Day weekend, at Hafla. I had a three day weekend, and spent all but the last few hours drinking water and sitting in the restroom, passing stones:(
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    Wow...my typing in that last entry was horrible! Apparently my fingers are also in a state of malfunction!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Oh my, how horrible for you. I hope you're feeling better now.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow. What a roller coaster! I'm so impressed that you were ready to do this, and confident you'll still be ready when the next opportunity arises.
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    Oh no, how horrible! I hope you're on the mend now and that you get to dance this weekend instead
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    Had the opportunity to dance, as a student/guest of the Troupe, at the local farm market. Did some group dancing, improv choreography, and some solo work with and without veil. It was a beautiful day, so there were a lot of people there. The troupe dancers are very nice gals...it was a great opportunity :)
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That sounds fabulous!