Me, myself, and PCOS

Options
I'm 26. Have PCOS. and I'm currently without health insurance. I had it up until last month but I moved out of state and have a different job which doesn't provide me with any insurance. Before I left my doctor put me on Birth Control..Sy..flrn? Something like that and this is the second month i'm on it. I have a 3 month and luckily he said he'd write me a prescription once it's up. So far thats the only thing that has been done to 'treat' my PCOS.

I'm just wondering what tips you guys have for myself. I'm sure you get asked this alot. Besides the stubborn weight loss, I have also had SERIOUS issues with thinning hair. My doctor said it would help with all the 'male pattern baldness' and I think I possibly might see some improvement? If you have ANY advice on that I would love it. I haven't tried rogain yet but have been using the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner which didn't seem to help even 1% but maybe I just don't see it?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The birth control pill did keep my hair from falling out. Once I went off of it to TTC, forget it. It fell out like crazy.
    Metformin also kept my hair from falling out but I don't know how feasible that would be for you without insurance.
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    Did anything help make it grow back? I used to have such thick beautiful hair :(
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Just the birth control and Metformin.
    Keep in mind that any change to your hair takes two to three months because of the life cycle of hair. So I did not start really losing mine until I had gone off BC for a few months and it did not stop falling out until I was on Metformin for a few months.
    So it's possible that your new BC pill will do the trick but you haven't been on it long enough to see a difference. The waiting is agonizing, I know. I feel like I still have thin spots at my temples but everyone tells me I have so much hair. I'm very sensitive about it though. I could see my part getting wider and that it was getting sparser along the hairline as well. And I have A LOT of hair so people don't notice now that I've been on metformin. It's also not falling out now that I'm pregnant, but that's not a very good long term solution!