Places to run/bike in Tampa?

Options
melanierf
melanierf Posts: 4 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Melanie, and I just moved to the Tampa area from South Carolina. I just graduated from Clemson University, and I'm about to start medical school at USF. Just wondering if anyone in this group has any advice on where to run/bike in the area. I lived on the border of New Tampa and Wesley Chapel, but I'm anxious to explore the whole Tampa area. Any advice would be great!!

Thanks so much!
Melanie

Replies

• hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie
    I am not familiar w/ Tampa trails, as I'm in downtown St Pete.
    But I remember hearing friends riding some great trails north Pinellas/Pasco area.
    I think this website shows you those trails:
    http://bikingflorida.net/main/?page_id=228
  • melanierf
    melanierf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I'll look into that website!!
  • danmo1999
    Options
    Flatwoods is a great trail on Bruce B Downs.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/lh-flatwoods.html

It has a 7 mile loop. Great for biking and jogging. Has water coolers along the way with Ice water.

Good Luck!

Dan
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try Flatwoods.

Lettuce Lake Park has bike trails, as well. The park entrance is on Fletcher Ave., just across from Telecom.

:flowerforyou:
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    I'm in St. Pete and interested in the Pinellas trail. Where does the trail start in downtown St. Pete?

Also, I want to start P90x. Yikes!
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Their are a couple - one I do and one I would like to do. One is the trail/walk that goes behind Dali and all the way to the bridge for Snell Isle..Basically Shore Dr down to Vinoy Park. It is a nice run. The other is Crescent Lake. What part of town are you in Southern?
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    I'm downtown.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yeah, then running down by the Vinoy is probably a nice little area and gives plenty of room for running a pretty good distance. I try to go after work sometimes, so if you ever see a big black dude plodding along...it is probably me :laugh:
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    Well, I absolutely hate running. I used to try in the YMCA on the treadmill in intervals but it's the worst. I do like biking though and I'll be checking out the Pinellas Trail for sure. Pretty stoked on that one. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just tried Flatwoods Park this past Friday and OMG, it's amazing! It is right there in New Tampa! :)