Couch to 5K

Options
I have started following the UK NHS Couch to 5K nine-week plan (but expect it to take me longer than 9 weeks).

Just finished 2nd session, first one was Saturday. Hard work but did it. 5 min warmup walk followed by 8 x 1min jogs with 1.5min walking in between, with a 5 min cool down walk. Next one is Friday, so will be just walking tomorrow. Got overtaken by a dog walker while doing one of the jogging sections - LOL!!!! But its the effort that counts, not the speed. Well thats what I keep telling myself ;-)

See here for more info: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Plan to record my progress here. If anyone in the 300+ Group wants to start, or is already doing Couch to 5K hopefully we can support and encourage each other here.

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I've been running two 5K and one 10K on the treadmill every week for the last month or so. It's been a great challenge! I didn't need to use a C25K program because I'd been working hard on my endurance for a year before I started (circuit training and elliptical at the gym, as well as mountain biking.) However, I have friends who started out untrained and had great success with C25K. Just take it slow, repeat a week if you have to and be consistent. You can do it!
  • pdneedham
    Options
    Thanks! 5K & 10K thats impressive, although not as impressive as loosing 310lb. Probably couldn't even walk 5K in one go at the moment. And 10K that's seems soooooo far away. But will be persevering. Will probably repeat week one till confident to move on.

Also conscious that running/jogging carrying so much weight cant be good for the knees/joints. And definitely suffering from what I believe is described as 'shin burn'. Definitely using muscles in a way they haven't been for a very very long time. Biggest surprise since taking up exercise is the pain across the neck, shoulders and upper back. Didn't expect that with walking. But then I haven't walked so much this last week in a long time.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1, and starting week 2 tomorrow. I did okay but I'm still a little afraid to run for a longer time.
  • lawohl
    lawohl Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok - I'm intrigued. You got me to check out the site and download the podcasts. I think I'll start this next week. We'll see!
  • rahdeyoung
    rahdeyoung Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! This is the first group I've joined. I just started the c25k this week. Today was day 2. I think I'm going to repeat week one at least once more because I'm just barely making it through the jogging sections. I've never been much of a runner and its hard when you are carrying extra weight but I've heard people have good results, so here we go!
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    Yay! I tried to start this exact thread in the other 300 pound group and only one person responded. I just started the C5K yesterday and it will probably take me a very long time to actually jog a whole 5K. I'm walking my first 5k September 21st, but I would like to jog some of it.
  • schaaf95
    schaaf95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like "alk", I am doing my own program of training, but running has become a big part of it. My ecouragement is that it can be done! I went from running a 7 minute mile in the Marine Corps to not running at all due to injuries and that is when I shot up over 300. Now I am running 4 + miles and averaging 9:30 to 9:40 a mile. My advice is to take it slow and listen to your body. My first attempt at 2+ miles ended up in disaster. While running my knees were telling me to slow down and stop, but I thought it would pass. I ended up re-damaging my knees to the point where I could not go to the gym for a few weeks. It not only set me back physically those two weeks, but emotionally as well, I eneded up defeating myself and it took some time to swing back to normal. I encourage anyone to start running who wants to, just be sure that you prepare yourself, physically and mentally for it. Good luck to all and I hope that you all reach your 5k goal quickly and bask in the triumph once comleted.

33330227.png
  • lawohl
    Options
    Well - I jumped on board before next week - mind over matter - and was able to complete PART of the 1st session. I did the 5 minute walk, 40 seconds of the 1st and 3rd jogs, the 4 minute walk in between those and the 1.5 walk after the 3rd jog. It was about 1/2 the session. But...I don't feel defeated! I haven't jogged in 10+ years! So...almost 1.5 minutes in 1 session is more than I have done in a decade! Thursday it will be either the full minute of each jog or adding a segment...or both! Thanks pdneedham for getting my head in the game! Obviously it will take me MUCH longer than 9 weeks to complete this C25K, but I have started...and I WILL finish!
  • pdneedham
    Options
    Iawol - BRILLIANT, massive WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

So it was 50% mental after all. Doesn't matter if it takes 1 week or 2 weeks to be able to complete a full week1 session. Just keep steadily improving at your pace.

So I will be doing session 3 Week 1 tonight. Will be repeating week 1 till I feel comfortable to move on to week 2. My plan is to use the C25K as motivation, goal, target setting etc. Primary aim is to lose weight, but to also increase activity and cardio. If at the end of this journey I can run 5K then that is going to be a massive bonus.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I commend all of you to take up this type of exercise. Just reading your posts gives me motivation to try to start. I have a foot injury that keeps me from the rigorous pounding of jogging, but I know some day I will and I thank all of you for the motivational tool. Keep going!
  • rahdeyoung
    Options
    Lawohl and pdneedham, I'm with both of you. I just did week 1 session 3 tonight, and while I can just barely get through it, I'm not ready to go to week 2. I'm hoping another week if W1 will be enough, but I like your attitudes, I want to keep moving, lose weight and see progress at any pace.
  • pdneedham
    Options
    Hi rahdeyoung, Good for you well done for completing 3 sessions of week 1 :happy: I did 3rd session on Wed but like you will be repeating Week 1. So next one is Fri 10/08/13. Wan't to get to a point where my jog pace is at least as fast as my walk pace, especially after about the 4th 1 min jog before moving on to week 2.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of its mental. I just did session 2 of week 2. Before I step on the track every time I get a little anxiety. Wondering if ill be able to get through. Even now I'm sooo scared of week 3, but I will step on that track and at least try before psyching myself out that I can't do it.
  • lawohl
    Options
    I completed W1D2 and was able to jog through the 1st 3 jogs at :50, :40 and :50. Almost made it through all of them, but at least added to my W1D1! Tomorrow morning I will try to get :60 on all 3 of the first 3 jogs. Then I will add the 4th...and so on...until I can complete it. Once I can make it through all 8 jogs at :60 at least twice, I will move on, but not until then! This is a great challenge and I will not be defeated!
  • pdneedham
    Options
    So completed 2 x W1D1. I'll swear it's getting harder, although I did manage to lift the pace just a little. Also trying to adjust my posture as tending to lean forward, so trying to keep my back straight and shoulders back, not all hunched forward. But nearly quit, had to push to finish. But was so glad that I did, and after a one minute breather was then able to complete my usual additional 15 min walk back home.

Biggest issue is sore ankles, and today knees.
  • lawohl
    Options
    I am actually taking a rest day today. My son (my personal trainer, even though he's 9!) is at a friend's house, so I'm allowing my body to rest. I'll pick back up tomorrow morning.

PD- way to keep on pushing, and great that you noticed the posture early! I am going to have to pay attention to that in the morning.

Mind over matter - it's not your legs giving up...it's your mind giving up! You'll get there, but don't forget to let your body rest and recoup every once in a while!
  • pdneedham
    Options
    So its been a few days since my last post here. I have now completed Week 1 twice. Really proud of the achievement. I can definitely notice my stamina getting better. Even to the point after completing the last two sessions I have continued to walk for about 15 mins, taking the long way home. But here is the shocker - was able to jog at just below walking pace the last stretch. Don't know the distance but over 5 min in duration.

So from a stamina point, probably ready to tackle week 2, BUT. Still getting pain in knees, shins, and what I can only describe as cramp like symptoms across the top of my foot. Couple of times its bad enough to make me stop for about a min after the 3rd & 4th 1 min runs ( long enough to take a drink). The really weird thing after the official C25K session and the extended walk home, the running for the last 5 mins is much better. Coming to the conclusion its the difference in surface ( or at least in some part). C25K out of the way except for the occasional dog walker, around the perimeter of a cornfield; route home on asphalt.

Also concerned I don't do any damage or have an injury (especially knees) by trying to progress too quick lugging all this excess weight around. It can't be good for the joints, can it?

So next C25K session is due tomorrow (Fri), not sure what to do. Try moving forward to Week 2 or stay with Week 1??????
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First things first: Having been in your shoes not too long ago, I know how tempting it is to give up — yet you haven't. That alone deserves acknowledgement and congratulations. Awesome job and great progress!

As for the pain: I had shin splints, knee and foot pain when I started running, too. As my endurance went up and my weight went down, the pain eventually subsided. Massages and soaking my legs in cold water seemed to help me, but I'd suggest you see your doctor if the pain becomes too strong, or doesn't go away after a day or two of rest.

Now, should you move on to week 2? Personally, constantly pushing myself to go faster and farther and longer is part of what keeps me motivated, so I would go for it. Having said that, the last thing you want is to injure yourself and be forced to stop training for a week or whatever... It's ultimately up to you and how you feel your body responding to the increased exercise. Just be honest with yourself and resist the urge to keep pushing through unusual pain. In the end if you need to stick to week one for one more week to be sure you don't hurt yourself, so be it.

Again, great job so far. Keep it up!
  • rahdeyoung
    Options
    Is anyone else thinking that week 2 to week 3 is a big jump? I just finished W2D3. I can make it jogging (slowly) for 90 seconds and it don't seem like too big of a jump from 60 seconds. But week three doubles that. I'm going to repeat week 2 once more and see how I feel. I did week 1 about 3 times and I felt good about it.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been walking anywhere from 6 - 10 miles per day for the last 6 weeks. Have lost 43 lbs. and so I stared the C25K this morning. GOOD GRIEF!

I thought I was in better shape, but it kicked my butt!!! I didn't get through all the jogging intervals, but got through 2/3 of them. I went 3.25 miles and was worn out! It may take more than a week on the 1st week of C25K for me to get comfortable with it, but I will.

I am signed up for my first 5K on Thanksgiving, so I am hoping I can run most if not all of it by then. Definitely a challenge! :) Glad I found this thread, I have a feeling I may need the motivation. lol