Desperate to get back into riding!

Options
Hayley_2012
Hayley_2012 Posts: 11 Member
Hey,
I just thought id introduce myself coz im new to the MFP and this group.... Anyways, im 29 from England and really wanting to get back in the saddle again! I havent been riding for over 10 years as I stupidly put on loads of weight at Uni and still haven't lost it! The max rider weight in most schools seems to be around 13.5 stone so hopefully I'll reach that over the summer.... any hints and tips, advice, motivation, success stories would be great to hear...has anybody been in the same situation?

x

Replies

• Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to the group and good for you for wanting to lose weight to get back into the saddle - it's a brilliant excuse!!

MFP is a good place to start and you will get loads of motivation and tips. It all sounds so simple when they say eat at a calorie deficit and get moving, but to do it is much harder! But, if you keep your goal in mind - to get back into the saddle - it will all work out and be worth it!

If you're not very active at the moment, start walking or do something you enjoy and remember working around the stables and doing chores at the horses also counts as activity! Try to cut back on sugar and fast foods and keep your diet simple.

And always remember how nice it's going to be to be back in the saddle and how hot you'll look in your riding pants!
  • Hayley_2012
    Options
    Aw thanks :o) It is really all that's motivating me at the moment, I hate having to miss out on fun stuff because of my weight - I cant wait to go back! Im definitely not as fit as I used to be but have started back at the gym and will probably get back swimming this week too. I just need to make exercising a habit then hopefully i'll just wake up one day 4 stone lighter! (I wish!)

x
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    29 and in Northern Ireland here, in case you need more buddies. Welcome to mfp, and I look forward to your post about your first ride, and all the others after!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi Hayley
    I only weigh a bit less than you, and ride without problems. If you're not super-heavy, balance and core strength (so that you can ride lightly and actively) are more important than weight alone.
    Sooo I would balance cardio exercise (walking, running etc) with strength training - bodyweight exercises are great and cheap, and yoga/pilates are great for riders.
    This is a great bodyweight routine you can do at home
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    and some awesome core strength ideas
    http://www.blogilates.com/animated-gifs/fabulous-flat-abs-gif-from-pilates-bootcamp
  • Hayley_2012
    Options
    Thanks for your messages of support! I'll have a look at those exercises later on my computer at home as this stupid one in work seems to block everything! I avoided the gym this morning....not great I know, but i'll make up for it tomorrow.....

Have a lovely day everyone

x
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Hayley,

Just to let you know that I weigh more than you and I have a 14.2 fell girl on loan and I have no problems. I'm near Lancaster and am on my second loan horse.

A lot of my friends tell me that I don't look that I weigh as much as I do. Please don't despair and I have seen women far bigger than me ride as well.

I'm sure if you investigate with your local schools some of them may not have a weight limit or will give exceptions.

Add me as a friend if you want to xx
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    A wonderful dressage trainer once told me "Riding light has NOTHING to do with your weight!"

I weigh more now than you did at your starting weight and don't have any issues either. Other than needing to use a mounting block to get on my 16.1 hand horse! The problem with my riding and weight is not that I am a bad rider because I am a heavy person but the fact that I lack confidence because I am a heavy person. Riding is wonderful motivation to be lighter, healthier, and more fit. MFP is a great place to find support!

PS - I was about 195 - 200 lbs when I used to show for my University and I was high-point champion two years running. Keep your chin up. If you are good, they may not care if you have a few extra pounds to lose! You can also "friend" me if you like!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey Hayley! I'm new to the group as well, after just reconnecting with my passion after a 20 year absence and probably around a 100 lb weight gain since I was a teen (and everyone told me I was heavy at 140 lbs!). I'm finding that reconnecting with my dream of horse ownership and riding has been the biggest fueler to my internal fire that I have found in years!! I stopped in my 20s because my ex husband felt that horse ownership was too expensive, and funds needed to go to other areas of life. Sadly, I agreed with him then. My "new" husband (together 15 yrs, married 14 yrs) is so totally behind almost any insane thing I want to do he's like "you earn the money, I don't care" LOL Ohhh I would think he'd know by now that I'm a runaway when I get the bit in my mouth!!

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done -- especially yourself! Find ways to fan the fire until you get on the back of that amazing animal -- then watch out world! Hayley will be tearing it UP!!!
    :flowerforyou: