1000 - 2000 calorie burn

Options
Zekela
Zekela Posts: 634 Member
Today I ran for 130 mins at 8 min mile pace and burnt 1450 cals. I'm 5'5" tall and about 116 - 118 pounds. According to broscience this isn't possible so I guess I'm a cyborg from a parrellel universe. I'm possible gonna eat approximately 2800 cals today without putting on weight. Oh yeah, broscience probably chalk up my low weight and high calorie intake to a high metabolic rate?? Oh well, regardless, I do look forward to eating and not gaining ;-)

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm totally stealing the "broscience" nomenclature
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I also burnt about 1400 calories this morning, I guess I'm a cyborg too??
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    Yesterday morning my garmin 310xt says i burned 1432 during my 10.5 mile run. When i log my exercise i under cut it by about 125 cals. At the end of the day i was still 20 cals under. Is this helping.....hmmmm not sure. But my body fat has fell over the past 5 weeks and i am losing an average of 1.3 lbs a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    According to my Garmin 610 I burned 1,728 at my triathlon yesterday (4km kayak, 20km bike & 5 km run) and 2,183 at a half marathon last May........
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What's broscience? I've seen plenty of junk science, pseudoscience and nonscience...! :laugh:
    I also burn 1300-1400 calories on a 10 mile run..currently working on NOT eating back every last calorie!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Endomondo gives me credit for over 1k calories at around 6 miles. I think it overestimates it. Come to think of it, partly my fault; I haven't changed the weight in a little while and I think it is set 7 pounds or so high. Last night it gave me 1736 for a 11.29 mile run. I weigh 170. I think those numbers are high, but I am pretty sure that 8 mile runs go over a grand for me.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that ANY calorie burn, whether from a machine, a HRM or any other source is ONLY a calculation based on previous experiments. There is not way to know for absolute certain what you calorie burn is. It depends on your weight, level of exertion and many other factors. Even a HRM may be off by 20% or more.

I believe that if we consistently use the same calculations and then see how our body reacts to the amount of calories we consume, it gives us the opportunity to be successful. If we keep jumping around, using different resources for our calorie burn calculations, it's near impossible to get a handle on what works and what doesn't.

Additionally, our bodies don't operate on the concept of a "day". So, the deficit or surplus that we create today, can easily be reversed the next day or two, etc.
  • Zekela
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that ANY calorie burn, whether from a machine, a HRM or any other source is ONLY a calculation based on previous experiments. There is not way to know for absolute certain what you calorie burn is. It depends on your weight, level of exertion and many other factors. Even a HRM may be off by 20% or more.

I believe that if we consistently use the same calculations and then see how our body reacts to the amount of calories we consume, it gives us the opportunity to be successful. If we keep jumping around, using different resources for our calorie burn calculations, it's near impossible to get a handle on what works and what doesn't.

Additionally, our bodies don't operate on the concept of a "day". So, the deficit or surplus that we create today, can easily be reversed the next day or two, etc.
    !
    Exactly! And if you see that you are putting on weight over a period of entering 1000 calorie burns then something is off. Simple! However, I was making fun at the thread '800 - 1000 calorie burn' being impossible for a human being. And obviously there is something wrong with statements like that. It just takes duration and intensity to reach that calorie burn which varies from person to person.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have a PhD in Broscience

You only burned 289 calories on that run!
  • Zekela
    Options
    I have a PhD in Broscience

You only burned 289 calories on that run!

Someone with a PhD, I guess I can't argue with that... Going back to the drawing board then :-(
  • 55in13
    Options

!
    Exactly! And if you see that you are putting on weight over a period of entering 1000 calorie burns then something is off. Simple! However, I was making fun at the thread '800 - 1000 calorie burn' being impossible for a human being. And obviously there is something wrong with statements like that. It just takes duration and intensity to reach that calorie burn which varies from person to person.
    I have made the statement that very few people ever burn 1000 calories in an hour and I still stand by that. It is doable, but it is claimed and logged a lot more often than it is actually done. Then people add those calories back in and complain about their plateau.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have made the statement that very few people ever burn 1000 calories in an hour and I still stand by that. It is doable, but it is claimed and logged a lot more often than it is actually done. Then people add those calories back in and complain about their plateau.

I hit a 2335 calorie burn yesterday in just over 2 hours. I ate it all back and was down nearly half a pound this morning. Plateau!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, you just need the proper mix of fairly heavy and kind of fast. The follow 1 hour runs should result in 1,000+

210 lbs @ ~9:00 pace should get you over 1,000

200 lbs @ ~8:30 pace

190 lbs @ ~8:00 pace

180 lbs @ ~7:30 pace (this is my long tempo run)

170 @ ~7:00 pace

150 @ ~ 6:40 pace
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yesterday morning my garmin 310xt says i burned 1432 during my 10.5 mile run. When i log my exercise i under cut it by about 125 cals. At the end of the day i was still 20 cals under. Is this helping.....hmmmm not sure. But my body fat has fell over the past 5 weeks and i am losing an average of 1.3 lbs a week.

Where's the damn like button when I need it. I'm in this boat as well...............cept, I sure as hell am not up to running 10.5 miles yet. Working on it though.
  • 55in13
    Options
    As previously stated, you just need the proper mix of fairly heavy and kind of fast. The follow 1 hour runs should result in 1,000+

I think that is further evidence that very few people do it. As I said, it is doable, but I think only a small % of the MFP population can sustain the effort of going an hour at the listed paces.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd have to run a 5:20 min/mile pace to hit ~1000 calories in an hour. Not gonna happen. On the other hand, I strapped my GPS watch to a chair and it did about a quarter of a mile in an hour. Can I count that in my calorie burn since I was sitting in the chair? ;)
  • 55in13
    Options

I think that is further evidence that very few people do it. As I said, it is doable, but I think only a small % of the MFP population can sustain the effort of going an hour at the listed paces.
    Yeah, quoting myself as it is too late to ETA. Anyway, I should have mentioned that my PB for 10k is barely under an hour and when I am out running long distances for over an hour my pace is generally in the 10:15 range and I am 170. In this particular discussion forum, that is nothing to brag about; it's pretty slow. On the busier trails, I get passed by a few people my size or smaller but rarely get passed by anyone bigger. And I am pretty sure most of the people passing me are not running a 7:00 pace or won't be running an hour or more. Most runners are just out there for under 5 miles. I was talking to a neighbor that runs the other day about the nice trail system in a neighborhood 2 miles from ours. He was interested in trying them and asked me where I parked. Uhm... in my driveway. :bigsmile:
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm big (6'1" 211.8 lbs as of this morning) and relatively fast (Easy runs are 7'45" - 8'15"/mi, Slow for me is ~8'30' on my long training runs/recovery runs) and the way I have to work hard to eat enough calories to meet my goal most days. I'm not losing weight as fast as I'd expect, but I'm also not concerned because I'm seeing the effect in my body.