New Trainer - What should I ask for?

Options
ALW65
ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
Hi Ladies! I'm new to 5x5, but have done some lifting with free weights in the past. I've stalled in my weight loss and exercise and am meeting with a new trainer tomorrow. I'm hopeful this will give the push I need to get in gear and stay in gear.

I'd love any feedback from you on what questions I should ask or points to discuss with this trainer. I feel kind of like that old saying "I don't know what I don't know" and thought you might have some good advice.

This trainer is a woman who used to compete in figure but now trains in some newer category that involves more muscle, and agreed that she likes to lift heavy, too. I've always had male trainers who want me to do 'their' workout plan (which tends to be random) rather than something more formal and proven. Hopefully, she'll be a great fit.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! - Anita

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you're planning on doing 5x5, then the main thing would be asking her to teach you correct form on all the lifts in that... even if you've done them before, it never hurts to have someone else who knows what they're doing check your form and give you advice.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    agreed :smile:

Get her to go through your form on all the lifts and get the program underway and then get her to go through your diet.

If you are going to be following stronglifts then you can have a PT once month to check progress, makes it cheaper :happy:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would ask her about her experience with the lifts--does she train them herself, how long she has been doing it, and how did she learn how to do them? And when I talk to trainers, I am the critical examiner, not the earnest student looking for someone with authority (because I've already done the homework myself and studied proper form).

The value of a trainer is in being able to correct you as you are doing the lift--instant feedback. Even if your proprioception is excellent and you videotape your lifts, it's not as good as someone telling you as you are doing the lift that your knees are sliding forward or that you are not hitting sufficient depth.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks much for your input. I was glad to hear she has a 4 year degree in exercise science in addition to certification as a trainer. Most of the trainers at the local gym train based on the fact that their into lifting themselves. Sometimes they're great, other times I hear questionable things. She was eating plain chicken breast and half a sweet potato when I got there - looks like she'll be a task master for eating, too :tongue:

I'll be hitting the weights on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it! - Anita
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add, but that sounds awesome. I'm super jealous! Let us know how she does. :)
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Make sure she understands the squat (depth = crease of the hip slightly below top of patella), and if you are squatting low bar, that she knows the difference between a low bar squat and a high bar squat (torso has quite a bit more lean forward on a low bar and many trainers do not understand this).
  • CycleFlow
    Options
    References. Id want to talk to some of her other clients.
    You can have all the education you want but if you arent motivational then its not worth it.
    Will she let you stop when you whine or will she find a way to keep you going?
    Thats what i would ask. Id want a strong personality.
    Does she train like she loves her job? ( unlike the loosers at my gym today at 6 am yawning and staring into space grrrr)
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Ask her anything you want to know.