How to waterproof your fitbit..

Options
Crys32
Crys32 Posts: 99 Member
I've seen were some people said they got waterproof cases for thier fitbits while swimming... where do you get those? I thought maybe there was an actually waterproof case to fit your fitbit and not and oversized one. Does anyone know?

Replies

• adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump :) I need one too!!
  • ravingwitch
    ravingwitch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is what I have found people doing. Hope it helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V5JPDO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I need this doing regular exercise I sweat so much! Hahahaha...
  • ChocolateKisses1
    Options
    I just looked at these little waterproof bags - they are on sale for 2,99€ each - but to ship them the want 69€! There must be a mistake!! Be careful when ordering!! Oh my!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I need this doing regular exercise I sweat so much! Hahahaha...

I hear that!! *whew*
  • Crys32
    Crys32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wondered what people used.. I'd be almost scared to test it though, maybe I'll use something else first to make sure it wont get waterlogged.
  • lzlsk
    lzlsk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Any word on accuracy?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    How many steps would you get while swimming though? Get a HRM that can be used for it instead while swimming. I sweat bucket loads & dont need to waterproof my fitbit.
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    If you are doing water walking....a substantial amount.
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    Well it was a semi fail. I checked it after 15 mins of swimming and there were a few small drops of water in it. Trying a water tight pouch next.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but I ordered a waterproof pouch that fits my iPhone 5.....there is enough room to slip my fitbit one in with it (minus the clip). I tested it with a piece of tissue in the pouch first and put it in the water and it was still dry. I got it for when we go to the water park with all that walking.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What if you put your fit bit in a zip lock bag and then put it in the key chain thing? Do you think it would work then? Did you try the water tight pouch? How did that work for you?

I'm trying to figure out how to waterproof my Fitbit One because I'll be participating in the Tough Mudder run this coming May and I'd LOVE to actually be able to have my fitbit on me while doing 10+ miles of sheer craziness. :-) I'm looking around and I'll let everyone know if I find something that works well for me and still keeps an accurate record of steps taken.
  • Oklasotan
    Options
    My wife and I just went to the Bahamas and we ended using water balloons!

I bought the smallest water balloons I could find, put the fitbit in there (we use zips, but I think the others would fit if you took it out of the wristband?) and tied it off. It barely fit, so the size was really no different that before the case. My swimsuits all had a small pocket (where you can put a key, etc.) that I used, my wife was able to put hers in a the little compartment in her top.

I don't know if the accuracy was 100% (I'm sure it didn't count swimming right, etc.) - but we did tons of walking on the beach, etc. - and didn't have to worry about ruining it when we wanted to go for a swim. We would have hated to miss out on tracking all those steps :)

Anyway - it worked GREAT for us. No water got in, and it still synced with our phones just fine.

Hope this helps someone!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    What if you put your fit bit in a zip lock bag and then put it in the key chain thing? Do you think it would work then? Did you try the water tight pouch? How did that work for you?

I'm trying to figure out how to waterproof my Fitbit One because I'll be participating in the Tough Mudder run this coming May and I'd LOVE to actually be able to have my fitbit on me while doing 10+ miles of sheer craziness. :-) I'm looking around and I'll let everyone know if I find something that works well for me and still keeps an accurate record of steps taken.

This works perfectly. I had my FitBit One in 2 ziplock baggies (just to be safe) with some added tape to keep it rolled up, and stuck that in the back pocket of my running pants.
    Ran a 12k Obstacle run yesterday, it went great!
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I am curious about accuracy as well. Every summer, I think of getting a waterproof MP3 puch for my fitbit. I like to take classes at the local pool in the summer--they have a nice outdoor pool area so it is a nice mix of being active outside without getting overheated. My favorite class is a shallow water class where we do exercises with and against a current (jogging, ski hops, walking lubnges, etc). I always feel cheated out of steps though! I wear my heart rate monitor for a calorie burn estimate ibn class but I wish I could track the steps. I heard that wearing the fitbit bag in a pool results in a lot of false floors and a lower calorie burn that other sources estimate for the same activity. So I suspect it isn't that accuate, but still am tempted. I would be curious what other find.
  • m_moylan
    m_moylan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A condom is the best waterproofing solution, simply slip the fitbit in, pull it tight and tie it off and cut off the excess. You can then slip that into the fitbit case, with a condom you can still read the display as opposed to a balloon. I then wear the fitbit attached to my watch to track swimming activities.
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is a great idea --but kind of odd --ha!
  • busyemm
    busyemm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also advise an HRM.
  • ajm9230
    ajm9230 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about a waterproof match case? May pick one of these up and try it out at the water park next week. I'll probably still put it in a baggie inside the case, just in case, but sounds like it would be perfect for fitting in a pocket.