The story behind the ink....

Options
Whats the story behind your tattoo? OR if you don't have one....what would you get and why?

...One of the reasons why I love Tattoos is because of the story / meaning behind each one and they're never the same!

I have 2 Tattoos

1 x Tiger -

Why did I get it?

This tattoo represents a few different times in my life. One of the obvious ones is that I was born in the year of the tiger. The other I won't go into too much detail but when I finally got the tattoo I was going through some major changes in my life and there are many qualities of a tigers personality that I can relate to, protective, sensitive, defensive, curious, playful...the list goes on.

If you are born in the year of the tiger you are seen as sensitive, emotional, and capable of great love. However, you have a tendency to get carried away and be stubborn about what you think is right; often seen as a "Hothead" or rebel. Your sign shows you would be excellent as a boss. (hehe - can't complain too much about that definition)

I love what tiger represents, there are a variety of different meanings that are associated with the tiger tattoo. Tiger tattoos can represent both positive and negative meanings.but of course my reason for my tiger tattoo is positive to me :)

Strength / Power/ Beauty / Passion / Freedom

When you look at the tiger's lifestyle and characteristics, you can begin to understand the meanings behind the tiger tattoo. Two of the most common meanings associated with the tiger tattoo are power and strength. In nature, the tiger is the top predator in their jungle environment. There is no other animal that the tiger is fearful of. The tiger's traits make it the supreme hunter in the jungle. The tiger is also mentioned as a beautiful animal. When we look at other cats and animals, nothing can really match the tiger's beauty.

1 x Rose heart with my initials underneath it

This Tattoo represents me and my family. Well the women of my family. To represent my father I'd have to get something Elvis / Frank Sinatra related (lol)

My mother and sisters all have the same initials and the rose heart is a combination of one sisters heart tattoo and the other sisters rose tattoo.

It's safe to say that I am done with ink for me now but my appreciation for them continues.

So let me go back to original question(s) -

Whats the story behind your tattoo? OR if you don't have one....what would you get and why?

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My favorite story behind one of my tats is a sea tale. The story goes, if you're out to sea and you fall overboard, or the ship goes down. Davey Jones(the ruler of the sea), will spare your life if you're not a great swimmer and have ink that he enjoys. So, I got a 'W' tattooed onto each butt cheek. So when I dive in, it says 'M'o'M' and when I swim to the surface it says 'W'o'W'. I've got a story behind all of my ink, but that one is my favorite one to tell. Because I get to do a bareass handstand :)
  • furry226
    furry226 Posts: 31
    Options
    LOL at the W.O.W tattoo! thats brave!

I got a rose on my thigh which i just like roses and on my other thigh i have a colour tattoo (Skull and Roses) because i like them too... i dont have any stories behind any of mine! but i plan to get more as i travel the world! :smooched:
  • rvm10
    rvm10 Posts: 4
    Options
    LOL! That's a brilliant story!
  • derter6
    derter6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I had a small temptoo which was crap but this started a need to have another tattoo which is a rose with tribal through it at the bottom of my back. This was because It was feminine but rebellious at the same time.

I then wanted one to cover my temptoo but to continue up my back but up my sides with flowers and butterflies to represent my children.

This year I had another tattoo up the other side of my back. My mother in law was born in January and her name is Eira which in welsh is snow so to represent her I had snowdrops, my mum was born in July so I had lillies to represent her. I had 2 butterflies one for my dad and the other the father in law.

I have encouraged my husband to have his first tattoo and he is having a red dragon done (not quiet a welsh dragon but not un-similar). My son has a shark that he drew on his foot and my daughter has one on each wrist honesty and loyalty.
  • brittyandian
    brittyandian Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos so far and 3 more drawn up.

I have a star on each wrist, a chest peice with a Laitn Phrase and 2 angels, a tribute tattoo to my children, and my son's name in his hand writing.

Now I know star tattoos are typical and most do not have any meaning, however mine have a very strong meaning behind them(or at least I feel). When I was just a little kid, I found a photograph of an older boy holding me as a baby. I asked my mother about it, and she came clean to me that I had an older brother I never knew about. She had no idea where he was, what he looked like at the time, or if he was even still alive. My mother had him young and was going through issues so she signed custody over to the father. From age 10 and up, I searched for my brother. I contacted TV sohws, asked my relatives, googled his name, etc. When I was 20 years old(im 25 now), I got a myspace page to keep in contact with old friends. Decided one day to search my brothers name. The first photo that showed up looked JUST like me! So I contacted him and did some research. He was indeed my brother! He didn't even know I- or my other 13 siblings- existed! We only lived 2 hours from each other. We met a few months later and the first thing I noticed was the star tattoos he had going up his leg. So myself and all my other siblings got star tattoos to symbolize being together and remembering the day we met our older brother.

Story behind my chest piece- It is a Latin phrase "Alis Grave Nil" which translates to, " Nothing is heavy to those who have wings". This phrase is spoken in a tribe in Honduras where my bio father was born and raised. He would say it to me when I was little everytime I felt overwhelmed by something. It's my was of reminding myself that no matter how hard something is or how rough life gets, if you look to God for guidence you will make it through and the weight will be lifted.

The tribute to my children is a photo of a mother with a child sitting in her lap and the qoute "Of all the rights of women, to be a mother is greatest" is wrapped around it.

And my last and most meaningful tattoo is my sons name in his own handwriting from when he was 5 years old. My son has Autism and doctors had told me he would never be able to talk or write. He does both very well. He wrote his name for the first time on his 5th birthday :)
  • ejsfanatic25
    ejsfanatic25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have several tattooes. I have a portrait of Elton John on my left upper arm. I also had him autograph under the portrait and had that tattooed as well. I have a heart on my left breast with EJ in it. Both tattooes are pretty self explanatory...I am an Elton John Fanatic :-)
    hence the screen name.
    I have both my zodiac sign and my son's zodiac sign on my right ankle.

On my left calf I have the Autism puzzle piece and music notes above and below it with the phrase "I wouldn't change you for the world, but I would change the world for you". This is a tribute to my son who has Asperger's Syndrome.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've got 9, some of them I want covered/redone.

My most meaningful...

"CHOOSE" - left wrist. Jeremiah 24:15. It represents the moment in my life I realized that no one else could make me happy. Everything in life is a choice and I can only control my attitude and responses. I needed to choose each morning before my feet hit the floor.

"JOY" - represents my recovery from co-dependency/enabling. I always thought Jesus, Others, than You. Now I know I can't help anyone else unless I take care of myself first.

Funniest tattoo is the Japanese symbol on my back. I wanted "innocence" on my shoulder because people always tell me how sweet and innocent I look. There were 3 symbols for innocence in the Japanese/American dictionary. I'm cheap, so I chose the middle symbol. Years later, wearing a tank top in a college class, the Japanese guy behind me busted out laughing. It was then that I learned the direct translation for Innocence is "No Bad Feelings." I chose the middle symbol, so I actually have the word "Bad" tattooed on my back. LOL.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Technically I have 6 but two have been covered up so I only have 4. My first one was a P on my hand when I was 15. My high school nickname was Puffs so of course my 15 year old self thought the P was a great idea. When I was 16 my mom took me to have it covered up with a rose. My next tattoo was of two doves holding a ribbon. I thought it was cute so I had it tattooed on my ankle. I picked a bad color so it faded. I had that covered up with three roses and the first initials of my three children. My third tattoo is a lower back piece of two tribal dragons facing each other. A friend of mine drew it for me. My fourth is the Chinese symbol for friendship on the back of my neck. I had it done with my cousin and a very good friend. I want so many more but I have been diagnosed with Epilepsy and I don't know if it is safe anymore.
  • rvm10
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos so far and 3 more drawn up.

I have a star on each wrist, a chest peice with a Laitn Phrase and 2 angels, a tribute tattoo to my children, and my son's name in his hand writing.

Now I know star tattoos are typical and most do not have any meaning, however mine have a very strong meaning behind them(or at least I feel). When I was just a little kid, I found a photograph of an older boy holding me as a baby. I asked my mother about it, and she came clean to me that I had an older brother I never knew about. She had no idea where he was, what he looked like at the time, or if he was even still alive. My mother had him young and was going through issues so she signed custody over to the father. From age 10 and up, I searched for my brother. I contacted TV sohws, asked my relatives, googled his name, etc. When I was 20 years old(im 25 now), I got a myspace page to keep in contact with old friends. Decided one day to search my brothers name. The first photo that showed up looked JUST like me! So I contacted him and did some research. He was indeed my brother! He didn't even know I- or my other 13 siblings- existed! We only lived 2 hours from each other. We met a few months later and the first thing I noticed was the star tattoos he had going up his leg. So myself and all my other siblings got star tattoos to symbolize being together and remembering the day we met our older brother.

Story behind my chest piece- It is a Latin phrase "Alis Grave Nil" which translates to, " Nothing is heavy to those who have wings". This phrase is spoken in a tribe in Honduras where my bio father was born and raised. He would say it to me when I was little everytime I felt overwhelmed by something. It's my was of reminding myself that no matter how hard something is or how rough life gets, if you look to God for guidence you will make it through and the weight will be lifted.

The tribute to my children is a photo of a mother with a child sitting in her lap and the qoute "Of all the rights of women, to be a mother is greatest" is wrapped around it.

And my last and most meaningful tattoo is my sons name in his own handwriting from when he was 5 years old. My son has Autism and doctors had told me he would never be able to talk or write. He does both very well. He wrote his name for the first time on his 5th birthday :)

WOW! I love the meanings of ALL your tattoos. ESPECIALLY the star tattoo. what an awesome story to tell! Thank you so much for sharing it :D
  • rvm10
    Options
    I've got 9, some of them I want covered/redone.

My most meaningful...

"CHOOSE" - left wrist. Jeremiah 24:15. It represents the moment in my life I realized that no one else could make me happy. Everything in life is a choice and I can only control my attitude and responses. I needed to choose each morning before my feet hit the floor.

"JOY" - represents my recovery from co-dependency/enabling. I always thought Jesus, Others, than You. Now I know I can't help anyone else unless I take care of myself first.

Love the meanings behind these!
  • insanio30
    Options
    I have two tattoos... The first one my parents were against tattoos and piercings.. so when my mom kicked me out at 18, I did what most people do and rebel. I got 16 piercings now, and at the time a friend of mine bought a tattoo kit online and wanted to test it out on me... so I drew up some flowers from Pink Floyd The Wall with a Celtic knot at the bottom and he tattooed it on my back... It was not center, not symmetrical, nothing... the vines and flowers were terribly done. I finally had the money to have it redone and a good family friend redid the entire thing. adding Darkside of the Moon and Wish You Were Here album art to the tattoo that now covers most of my back.

My second tattoo is a quote from the bible going from my thigh down to my knee with different swirly designs in memory of my best friend Sarah. She's a dog who was the runt of her littler, and we fell in love with her and she was the most loyal caring animal I have ever had the honor of knowing. This month it's actually been 5 years since her passing, and this month I will be getting the tattoo finished.