Alternative workouts

Options
What do you do when you can't run outside due to thunder and lightening? I did a total body workout from Comcast On Demand, and I wasn't impressed.

Replies

• RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well, nothing but running is going to give you running related cardio training, but if you don't have access to a treadmill, something like those workouts On Demand is better than nothing.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you don't have access to a treadmill or indoor track.

Google "deck of cards" workout, and then get creative with the exercises you assign to each suit. You can incorporate quite a few bodyweight/plyometric drills and get a great workout. Not a substitute for running, but at least it's a workout. This was my "go to" during winter snowstorms.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    There are many workout on comcast. The total core intermediate is core strength interval training. I found it very aerobic. Just beware you better be used to planking. I do static planks. This guy does dynamic planks and i was muy sore the next 2 days.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I live in a very northern climate where winter is almost 8 months long.... Lol, I got a mini trampoline, also I do kickboxing and HIIT full body DVDs when weather doesn't cooperate...
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I also live in a northern climate with long, extreme winters. But, I have a treadmill to at least bang out some mileage on. I'll be honest though, after my first summer of being able to run outdoors (only started last fall) I will be buying myself some cold weather running gear so that I can run outside as much as possible.

I also have just started to incorporate hot yoga (while not a great "workout", it has really balanced me), and I rotate through some Jillian Michael's DVDs, I like her layouts, and I have been thinking about giving insanity a go this winter, but I haven't committed to that yet.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    What do I do when I can't run outside because of thunder and lightening?

I run outside.
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    What do I do when I can't run outside because of thunder and lightening?

I run outside.

One day this summer I decided to go bust out a quick 6 miler because I knew the clouds were bringing something scary later. I was on my way back and the sky changed faster than expected, super dark, fast swirling clouds, lots of thunder/lightening, so I picked up the pace, running hard, the wind picked up making it like running against a wall, huge droplets began coming down and then the lightening got close, so I ran in the middle of the road away from trees/street lamps to avoid being struck. I made it in the door, to a worry faced hubby saying "There's a severe thunderstorm with tornado warning" no duh, hahah, within minutes of entering the door golf ball sized hail... if I hadn't pushed hard to get back when I did I would have been quite the mess. Lesson learned that day, when weather looks suspect, run fast. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you can't run outside due to thunder and lightening? I did a total body workout from Comcast On Demand, and I wasn't impressed.

I'd probably just switch my days around, x-train on the ugly day (and I do run in just about everything except freezing rain or thunderstorms) and run the next day even if it meant running several consecutive days.
    Lesson learned that day, when weather looks suspect, run fast. :)
    or wear a helmet! :laugh:
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    ROFL! The mental image I just had, hilarious!!
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Running in hail (not golf ball sized!) is oddly fun. Again, not golf ball sized.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

I'll bet "Swimming in the pool" isn't a common response…
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oh so happy to live in southern California :). Not a question I ever have to ponder. At most there's a bit of rain, and I just run in my windbreaker.

If weather was a problem for me, I imagine I would take the opportunity to do yoga - really love the core-strengthening effects and how it helps supports my joints when I run.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    One day, after seriously 4 days of raining, I went & got a gym membership for $35/month. Best investment ever! I use the treadmill if I have to, take weight training classes, and made some friends.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If the weather looks severe (possible hail, tornado watch), I'll just wait because that weather doesn't last long.

If it just windy/stormy with possible lightening and rain, I run. I'll go to the multi-use trail and do my run in 2 mile segments so that I'm never far from shelter.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I will incorporate a crosstrain day and jump in the pool =)