Miles on Running Shoes

Options
natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
How many miles do you generally get out of your running shoes? I have some Saucony Kinvara 3s that have 439 miles on them and my Saucony Virrata's have about 244. The Virrata's look more worn out than the Kinvara's. No problems with either yet - just my plantar fasciitis, which I had well before I got either of these particular shoes. I feel like I should be buying at least one pair of Kinvara 3's while they are still available and on sale, but don't feel the need to switch yet.

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It depends on the shoes. I have over 700 on my MR00s and they still have atleast 200 miles left in them I'd say. I have about 270 on my Altras and they might have another 200 or so on them. I do have a few more pairs of shoes I'm thinking of rotating in however. Generally though, while I keep track of my miles on my shoes via Daily Mile, I run in them until they hurt too much to run in. That could be at 300 miles or 800 miles.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My last pair had about 650 - 700 miles before I got another pair. They actually felt good still but the toes were getting worn out so I couldn't put it off for any longer.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I usually swap out at around 500, but the last two pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 13s that I have each have over 800 miles on them because I couldn't find another shoe that I liked.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I retire my Kinvaras at the 500 mile mark. The Virrata is a lighter-weight shoe so you may not get as many miles on those. The Cortana that I wear for longer runs (13+ miles) were good for 700+ miles, they are just now getting to where I need to retire them.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I recently had trouble with Brook Pure Flow's. At just less than 200 miles they were falling apart. I emailed them, they replaced the shoe - on a "one time" option. But informed me that the Pure shoes are only expected to get 200 miles at the most. I can run 200 miles in a month. No way would I buy those shoes again.

I switched over to Adidias Tempo's and love them. Mine have about 250 miles on them and still look great on the wear on them and I've had no signs of any breakdown from them at all.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tend to get way more than I should out of them, general consensus is that the shoe starts to fail at around 250-500 miles but I've taken a few pairs well over 1000 miles (I'm a 50-80 mile a week runner)
  • natalie412
    Options
    I tend to get way more than I should out of them, general consensus is that the shoe starts to fail at around 250-500 miles but I've taken a few pairs well over 1000 miles (I'm a 50-80 mile a week runner)

Wow - what shoes do you wear?
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The 1000+ miles were in Nike Air Max Moto +, I did that in 3 or 4 pairs of them, then the same in a pair of Nike Free TR2s as I transitioned to more minimalist shoes. Now I'm in a brand new pair of Nike Free 3.0s for most of my miles and Vibram FF Bikilas for shorter runs (I'll probably switch to using them on a regular run (8-10 miles) once a week soon)
  • natalie412
    Options
    The 1000+ miles were in Nike Air Max Moto +, I did that in 3 or 4 pairs of them, then the same in a pair of Nike Free TR2s as I transitioned to more minimalist shoes. Now I'm in a brand new pair of Nike Free 3.0s for most of my miles and Vibram FF Bikilas for shorter runs (I'll probably switch to using them on a regular run (8-10 miles) once a week soon)

Those big heavy shoes do last longer. Makes sense. I like the much lighter shoes like you are using now, and they are just not as durable!
  • mellorunner
    Options
    I've taken a pair of Triax up over 1200 before (my only shoes for the summer a few years ago). Usually I keep them until about 750. They last a bit longer though because I don't wear the same shoes every day, I have a 4-8 shoe rotation going.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I took my last pair up to 700 mi and my current pair are somewhere in the 400s right now.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Damn lightweights getting 500+ mile out of their shoes. Mine usually die a horrible, horrible death between 300-400 miles.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    Just dropped over 200 bones on new shoes, thank goodness I am ok with running on the old models
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Just dropped over 200 bones on new shoes, thank goodness I am ok with running on the old models

$200 - 1 pair?

I bought a pair of Kinvara's over the weekend. They were on sale (20%) off and have a 90 return on them so I thought I'd give it a try. They feel narrow, even though I went up a full size. Do Kinvara's generally run narrow?

Flashback to when I was obese. I can't wear some of my shoes from back then (not that I wear shoes very often anyway). At 295, my feet were EE width. There was only one place in the US where I could get motorcycle boots. And, I can't wear one pair of gorgeous, Italian-made loafers that were a gift because my feet lift out of the shoe when I roll my foot forward!

Ugh. Life is so much easier at 15% body fat…
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Those big heavy shoes do last longer. Makes sense. I like the much lighter shoes like you are using now, and they are just not as durable!

My shoes are VFFs and I get 700 miles/pair.

ETA: 700, not 70. Doh!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Damn lightweights getting 500+ mile out of their shoes. Mine usually die a horrible, horrible death between 300-400 miles.

Same. I wish I could get that many miles out of my shoes! The most I got out of a pair was a little over 500 miles before being forced to get a new pair.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options

$200 - 1 pair?
    3 pair. 2 sets of Kinvara 3s and a pair of Cortana 2s. I should be good on shoes until ~Valentines
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

$200 - 1 pair?
    3 pair. 2 sets of Kinvara 3s and a pair of Cortana 2s. I should be good on shoes until ~Valentines

Good planning!

We should have a whole new crop of shoes by Valentines. Some interesting shoes coming out in the next few months.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've got 350 on my NB 750s right now, they seem to be holding up good, probably another 200 miles out of them tops. My trail shoes from the year before aree looking extremely tired after 300 miles, they've been retired from running. I'm 6'4" 205 pounds, every time I hit the ground my shoes emit a tiny scream of pain... I don't think I'll find a shoe that will last me more than 500 miles. I'm already casually shopping for new shoes for the fall.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My last pair I got 2800 miles on them. That was probably a little excessive but my current pair have over 1000 and are still going strong.