Type 1 Diabetes and Pregnancy

Options
As some of you know, my husband and I are expecting our first child in August. For those of you who have been through pregnancy and being a Type 1 diabetic I am looking for some advice.

Lately I have been feeilng very discouraged - my numbers are not bad at all - my last A1C was 5.9 and my meter is currently showing an average in the 120's. I test 7+ times a day to make sure I am hitting the goals set for me (90 fasting, 140 one hour after eating).

However, I feel like no matter what I do it is not good enough for my endocrinologist. I am just looking to hear about other Type 1 diabetics experiences while they were pregnant. She makes me feel so upset sometimes...my numbers have never been better so I don't know what else to do. I also have been feeling like I will never get to experience just being a normal pregnant woman...I am worreid all the time about my blood sugars and how they could be hurting the baby. I have been blessed with a fairly easy pregnancy so far - no morning sickness - just feeling a little tired and that's getting better now that I am 15 weeks along.

Any advice, ecouragement, or tips from my fellow Type 1 diabetics would be amazing!

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant but my advice from one T1 to another, find a new Endo! I had a terrible experience for years with a crappy doctor that made me feel awful about my control. He was critical and never had any real advice beyond test more, eat less, be better at being Diabetic. No matter how expansive a doctor's knowledge may be, it means nothing if they can't apply that knowledge in a manner specific to you. Get no respect, give no respect. How can you be expected to follow the advice of a doctor who's opinions you don't value and who doesn't show you respect in return? It may take some time and research but trust me, its worth it for your health and the health of your baby.

Also, those numbers sound AMAZING! And with a shining A1c of 5.9, I really don't understand her concern?!
  • SeraFee
    SeraFee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree. If your Dr. is making you feel bad about yourself and your efforts to keep your sugars under control...get a new Dr.! Especially if your numbers are as good as you say! I have 1 daughter who is now 7. I had a fairly easy pregnancy, although my numbers were nowhere near as good as yours. There were complications when she was born and she was in the NICU for 2 weeks. But she is in perfect health now. Having a pregnancy with T1 is not easy but as long as you are keeping your BG's under control you should be fine.
    But seriously, consider looking for a new Dr. I know that it is important to have good BG's when you are pregnant but you need a Dr. who will support you as well as give you guidance! Good luck!
    Sera
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My Endo suggested I keep my A1C between 6 & 6.5. You are below both. Even if your doctor isn't proud of you, I certainly am. :happy:
  • MegRenzelmann
    MegRenzelmann Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who have posted! This is making me feel much better! I am going to have to make sure I just keep doing what I am doing and not stress out about how critical my doctor can be sometimes and how she can make me feel like I am not doing good enough. When I told my OBGYN who specializes in Type 1 Diabetic pregnancies what my last A1C was she was thrilled - I am glad at least one of the doctors was happy!
  • jastaple
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but the pregnancy & endocrinology group at Evanston Hospital in IL are wonderful. Also, your A1Cs are great especially for being pregnant. I have type 1 diabetes & when I had my son 8 years ago, the best A1C I had during my pregnancy was 7.6 & my son is perfectly fine. The only major problem I had with my pregnancy was that he came early. Find a doctor that encourages you and supports you if you have other options. If not, just keep trying to do your best.... that's all you can do :smile:
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I've been type 1 for 20years. Just had first baby a year ago. My blood sugars were pretty good through pregnancy but when they were high it was usually in the morning. I had my boy at 8 months gestation by emergency csection. I was put in the hospital for observation for high blood pressure. It worsened and I was dianosed with HELPP syndrome and had to have emerg csec. Baby body was a little big. 8months in the womb coming out at 8lb 10oz. Baby's blood sugar was low at birth but easily correct. Jaundice was an issue cause he was a month early. We stayed 10 days in hospital. I was extremely overwelmed and it was so scary. But when we all got home everything fell into place. Both went home healthy and good to go.
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    FriedPicklePrincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This makes me so happy. I am newly diagnosed, and before going into DKA and starting this new journey in life, my husband and I had literally just started trying to get pregnant. While I was in the hospital 2 months ago my A1C was 9.5, then in July I was at 7.1, and I go back to my endo in September for another A1C. My endo is dead set on me not getting pregnant at least for a year and until I can get into the 6's. I really think it is doable now!
  • MzGibb23
    MzGibb23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant the second time at a 7.9 and ended my pregnancy at a 5.4 I saw my OB every week and Perinatal Dr every 2 weeks (every week later) and had a..not crazy pregnancy but was on a watchful eye. My son will turn 2 This Monday 8/12 and he is so healthy! You have to put your trust in your doctors and if you cant, find another.
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree, find a new Endo! I've got stories on both sides of the spectrum. Please DO NOT get overwhelmed or scared with what I am about to tell you, I am only telling you to show you that you are doing amazing with your A1C and control. I got pregnant with my oldest sometime in early October of 2003. I realized I was pregnant the day after thanksgiving. I was terrified because at the time I wasn't testing and barely taking my shots out of rebellion. Once I found out I was pregnant I started testing every two hours and once during the night. I was still uncontrolled, so my Endo was able to get me a loaner pump for my pregnancy. Before my A1C was 11. Once I started testing more and had the pump my A1c dropped to 6. When I was 12wks I had to be hospitalized with a kidney infection. That's when my morning sickness started and it didn't stop till they had me drugged on the operating table. I had 5 kidney infections and finally they took him early. He was small, 4lbs 12oz (I am 5'1 and was 128 at delivery with only a 2lbs total weight gain for the pregnany) and 16 inches. His first apgar was 9 our of 10. He was and is perfectly healthy, his only issue is half of a vertebra missing in his neck. They took my pump when I delivered and soon after my A1c was back up to 10. I then got pregnant with my second son in Sept. of 2005. I found out at 3ks with him. We tried to get a pump again for this pregnancy and my insurance refused. I could barely keep my sugars below 400 with him. However I didn't have any morning sickness with him and 3 kidney infections (which we figured out was due to the placement of my uterus on my kidneys.) At 17wks we found out he had a heart condition that would require immediate surgery. I went into labor with him at 34wks. He was 4lbs7oz. At 5wks old and only 3lbs 13oz he had his first of two open heart surgeries. His second was before age 2. His next open heart will be in 3 years. And possibly one more after that. Several of his drs say that his conditions are due to my high blood sugars and lack of control during my pregnancy.with an A1c of over 14.

My purpose in telling you this is that with the sugars you have, and your current A1c, things should be fine. Keep up what you are doing because it is working. Change your Endo if he/she is not supportive of where you are at. Eat healthy, exercise, and as the pregnancy goes along you will relax and not stress about it as much, but more so than you would non-pregnant.

Good Luck and Congratulations!!
    Jenn