Weight tracking

Options
ContraryMaryMary
ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,666 Member
Hi everyone, will you be updating you ticker to reflect your pregnancy weight or just leave it as it is until after the birth? I'm not sure which to do... Kinda scary watching the scale go up but then immediately post partum it's going to be up quite a bit anyway, right?Then there's the breast feeding weight (up to an extra five kilos apparently).

Replies

• mommy_hood
    mommy_hood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am moving mine accordingly wether gaining or losing so I know exactly where I am from my original weight... right now I am still slowly losing but I am sure I will start to gain at some point.... plus I am not sure it would be fair to count losing post pregnancy weight if you never claimed having it... to me that seems cheating.... to count the same pounds twice as lost lol... but if adding the weight will cause you to feel discouraged then do what will keep you motivated !
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know what you mean... its hard to see your 'loss' decrease if you lost a lot through MFP already. I'd lost 31lbs.. and with weight gain i'm down to 26lbs lost (meaning i'm up 5!). I think I'd rather log my weight every week or two, and if that means its going up rather than staying where it is, then that's ok.. i just hope its gradual. I intend to keep using MFP throughout and after I've had the baby because I know it'll help me lose any baby weight with tracking my cals, I plan to breastfeed too so I heard that uses approx 500 cals when a baby's so little and feeling regularly.... I'm hoping it'll be my secret weapon to losing the extra lbs I'm bound to gain in the next 6 months!

U have to do whatever you feel comfortable with... but gaining weight is just a part of all this, don't be afraid of it. Do whatever you're happy doing though...there's no right or wrong answer to this! - Claire x
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I will be ticking it back up, but probably only doing a proper weigh-in every couple of weeks or month. My goal is to deliver with 5-10 lbs left on my ticker :)

I didn't gain any weight breastfeeding, though I didn't lose either. Some women lose insane amounts while breastfeeding, some have trouble losing, some find they are so hungry that they put on a few additional pounds... but you really won't know ahead of time.
  • HollyAnn_
    HollyAnn_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way saying that one should simply eat everything the want whenever they want just because they are pregnant, but be proud of your body and what's going on. YOU ARE MAKING A HUMAN! How awesome is that?!?! Every pound gained is evidence of a growing baby. Just continue to eat healthy and exercise and your body will gain the right amount that you and baby need.

I say keep tracking your weight. Why deny it? (I'm guessing anyways) Most of us will be here after the birth to get back down to goal or continue. What's the difference in updating the ticker now as opposed to than?

That's just my opinion tho. I'm not afraid to gain the weight. Not that you all are "afraid" or in denial. Unless you're overweight to begin with, you will gain weight. Just accept it. (My husband tells me this is a lot harder for most people to do, so sorry if I sound mean, I don't intend to, just trying to encourage)

:)
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I track my baby weight on Babyfit. But here I forgot abt my ticker... Guess I should just take it down , I dont like seeing the weight go up either but I know its necessary. I didnt gain anything at the beginning and woke up 14 pounds heavier one day : / ... What can I do abt it! I have been back at the gym and eating better food , still the weight comes! lol I think I am holding a lot of fluid in my legs and butt ... I know its fat too , but I have been eating more carbs and can always tell the water retention is more , Im trying to cut back now that veggies are yummy again! Praise God!!!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I track my weight gain on the app I'm Expecting. I was initially updating my weight on here but it started to mess with my head. I had lost 61 pounds prior to my last pregnancy that ended in a m/c at 9.5 weeks. After that happened, due to depression, I gained 13 pounds of that 61 lb loss back. THEN I got pregnant with this little one before I lost any of that weight. So to see my ticker go from 61 pounds lost to only 41 got to me. Yes I am making a human and I am gaining an appropriate amount (7 lbs at 19 weeks) but it still bothers me. I don't know why seeing the number on my pregnancy app doesn't bother me though. I am going to start on here from scratch after the baby comes. I seriously doubt I am going to gain 41 pounds in the next 21 weeks so at least I have that going for me, lol!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls, yes, I now do think I should track it otherwise there'll be a big leap in February which won't be pleasant. I understand I'm growing a baby but, this year, for the first time in living memory, my scales show me weighing in the mid-60kgs not the 70s (i was stuck at 70-72kg for years) and I'm reluctant to let that victory go. Also, I've been having horrible constipation (TMI, I know, sorry) and its screwing with my weight - all my body measurements, besides my belly, are down.
    My husband cracks me up - he barely noticed (I thought) when I lost those final 5kg at the beginning of the year but yesterday we were admiring my growing belly and he said, "it's ironic, you did all that work and your body was smoking hot then you promptly got pregnant!" Charming. I guess a delayed compliment is better than none.
  • HollyAnn_
    HollyAnn_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My husband cracks me up - he barely noticed (I thought) when I lost those final 5kg at the beginning of the year but yesterday we were admiring my growing belly and he said, "it's ironic, you did all that work and your body was smoking hot then you promptly got pregnant!" Charming. I guess a delayed compliment is better than none.

Oh my!! That is hilarious! Mine has said things like that before.

When my youngest was only 4 weeks-ish old we had a retirement party for my mum. He had seen a picture from then and was like wow I didn't realize how much you've lost. Then he starts stammering trying to explain what he meant lol. Like not that you were "big" just that you were bigger than you are now. I never thought that you were that big... Uh I mean...
    They are so cute sometimes!!