"You have set the bar too high."

Options
13»

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Do you or do you not believe there is a god, regardless of what others think?
    I do not believe there is a god.

Since I know you are going to leap to the conclusion that it must mean I believe there is no god even though I have explained this a couple times already I will attempt to preemptively address that with an analogy.
    ================================================================================================
    Lets say I have a jar of gum balls on my desk. We don't know the number of gum balls in the jar. We do know that it is either an odd or even number.

Person A: The number of gum balls is even.

Person B: I don't believe you because you don't have the information necessary to draw that conclusion.

Person A: That may be but I still believe it.

Person B: Then your conclusion that there is and even number of gum balls lacks rational justification.

Person A: Prove that the number of gum balls is odd.

Person B: I don't have to prove the number of gum balls is odd. I am saying I don't believe you have sufficient rational justification for your assertion. The burden of proof is on you to support your claim.

Person A: You have a burden of proof to support your claim that the number of gum balls is odd.

Person B: I am not claiming the number of gumballs is odd. I am saying that we don't know the number of gumballs so we have no reason to be claiming that the number is odd or even.
    ================================================================================================
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Since I know you are going to leap to the conclusion that it must mean I believe there is no god even though I have explained this a couple times already I will attempt to preemptively address that with an analogy.
    Lets say I have a jar of gum balls on my desk. We don't know the number of gum balls in the jar. We do know that it is either an odd or even number.

Person B: I don't believe you because you don't have the information necessary to draw that conclusion.

Person B: Then your conclusion that there is and even number of gum balls lacks rational justification.

Person B: I don't have to prove the number of gum balls is odd. I am saying I don't believe you have sufficient rational justification for your assertion. The burden of proof is on you to support your claim.

Person A: You have a burden of proof to support your claim that the number of gum balls is odd.

Person B: I am not claiming the number of gumballs is odd. I am saying that we don't know the number of gumballs so we have no reason to be claiming that the number is odd or even.

Either way, it's one person's opinion versus another.

If you believe there is no justification to prove that God exists, then that is what you should say. The statement "I do not believe there is a god" is the same statement as "I do not believe that God exists."
  • soldier4242
    Options
    'There is no justification to believe that god exists."
    "I do not believe there is a god"
    "I do not believe that God exists."

All three of these statements are equivalent and these statements express the position that I have always had since the beginning.

So many people keep trying to equivocate my position with things like:
    "I know that there is no god."
    "God does not exist"
    "There is no god."

All three of these statements are saying the same thing also but none of them are saying the same thing as the first three statements. More importantly none of them are saying what I am saying.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options

You say "I do not believe there is a god."

Earlier you said "The time to believe in anything is after you have the evidence and not before."

What evidence do you have to prove there is no god?
  • soldier4242
    Options
    You say "I do not believe there is a god."

Earlier you said "The time to believe in anything is after you have the evidence and not before."

What evidence do you have to prove there is no god?

I am not going around believing that there is no god. I am going around not believing that there is a god. I have explained this over and over again and yet you can still type a sentence like "What evidence do you have to prove there is no god?"

Are you not reading what I am writing are you not understanding it? I honestly don't know how else I can put it.

"The time to believe in something is after you have evidence and not before."

So prior to having that evidence you can be "NOT BELIEVING" and if you do not believe something it does not mean that you inherit the burden of proof. It means that the burden of proof has still not yet been met.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Believing there is no God is an action.

Not believing there is a God is a lack of action.

Two completely different things. That's clear enough to me, Soldier4242.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Believing there is no God is an action.

Not believing there is a God is a lack of action.

Two completely different things. That's clear enough to me, Soldier4242.
    Thank you treetop57. Your post is a breath of fresh air.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think the distinction that soldier is trying to make is the certainty that is inherent inside the statement "I believe god does not exist"

That sentence is spoken by the peron who *knows* they're right. Their mind is made up, they believe the answer is fixed and undeniable.

The position he is coming from could be described as, "Well, I have not yet seen anything that would say there is a god, so on that basis, so far, my answer is I don't think so" There's a lot less certainty in that position. He is open to further evidence, and would adjust his opinion accordingly if he were presented evidence that satisfied his benchmark.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Exactly. To say "I believe there is no God" requires convincing evidence that God doesn't exist.

To say "I do not believe there is a God" only requires a lack of convincing evidence that God does exist.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Semantics. Either way... the individual cannot be convinced because God does not work in absolutes or concretes. Whether the individual feels that they *know* that God does not exist or that the have never had evidence of his existence or non-existence, it does not matter because what Soldier wants is for spirit to have substance, and by nature, that is not possible without damaging consequences.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Soldier,

I believe there is a god. You do not believe there is a god. Why is the burden of proof on me to prove there is a god and not on you to prove there is not a god? You will have to pardon my inability to fully understand what you are trying to convey since it all appears to be semantics IMHO.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

I see what you're saying. There is a difference between "I do not believe there is a god" and "I believe there is no god."

But what I'm saying is that after Person A counts the gumballs and proves to you that there 468, you don't believe they are even, you know they are even. So, again, yes, you have set the bar too high. You will never believe in God.
    If I were to accept your line of thinking where I first believe in something and then I look for evidence I would be in a position to believe everything anyone ever said.

Totally untrue. First, you are not required to believe anything. You can live your life in complete skepticism and doubt everything ever said to you. You can doubt gravities existence until you conduct your own experiments and discover the truth of it's existence or lack thereof. You can doubt 2 + 2 = 4 until you do the pages of math that prove it. But you will never believe anything. If you do believe something it must be without sufficient evidence to know. Once you know, you can not believe.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Totally untrue. First, you are not required to believe anything. You can live your life in complete skepticism and doubt everything ever said to you. You can doubt gravities existence until you conduct your own experiments and discover the truth of it's existence or lack thereof. You can doubt 2 + 2 = 4 until you do the pages of math that prove it. But you will never believe anything. If you do believe something it must be without sufficient evidence to know. Once you know, you can not believe.
    I see knowledge as a subset of belief. If I drew a circle of all the things I believe the circle for all the things I know would be inside that circle. Your belief circle would be larger than your knowledge circle. In this scenario belief would simply be a reaction to evidence.

You see belief and knowledge as two circles on completely different sheets of paper and what is on one sheet cannot be on the other sheet. So I have an actual inability to believe something I have learned about because once I have learned about it I have lost the ability to believe in it.

This means that knowledge of god is completely impossible. You are by definition going down a road I am not capable of following. You not only cannot prove the existence of god to me. You have not proven it to yourself and you never will. You will go through your entire life believing in what you want to believe in without any hope of learning about it.

Well in an effort to increase the clarity of our discussions I will endeavor to remember to use the word "accept" where I would use the word "believe" because by the definition that you are using I would believe in nothing or at least as little as possible.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Soldier,

I believe there is a god. You do not believe there is a god. Why is the burden of proof on me to prove there is a god and not on you to prove there is not a god? You will have to pardon my inability to fully understand what you are trying to convey since it all appears to be semantics IMHO.
    First of all let me assure you that this is not semantics in any respect. There is a very real reason the burden of proof is upon you and it has a lot to do with logic.

Not all statements have a truth value. For example the statement "Make me a sandwich." does not have a truth value, it is simply calling for an action from another party. The statement "I made you a sandwich." does have a truth value because it is making an assertion. Either I did or did not make you a sandwich. It cannot be neither and it cannot be both.

The statement "God exists." has a truth value. Just like the statement,"I made you a sandwich." It can be true or it can be false. It cannot be neither true nor false and it cannot be both true and false. So I have to look at your statement, "God exists." as having two possibilities. Either true or false.

In the case of "I made you a sandwich." there is evidence that I should expect to see that would make it true. If you don't have a sandwich it is false right? Wrong! If you do not have a sandwich I do not yet have enough evidence to conclude that you did not make me one. What I can do is say I do not have rational justification to support the assertion that you made me a sandwich. You never attempt to prove a negative. If you do have a sandwich the statement is true and we go on with out lives.

In the case of "God exists." I have to do much the same thing. I have to see if you have a "God" that you can present which will make the statement true. If you cannot present this god then I cannot conclude that your statement is false on that alone but neither should I try to. That would be attempting to prove a negative. I must instead say that you do not have rational justification to conclude that your statement is true.

The same thing would be true for pretty much any statement with a true/false truth value. The burden of proof always falls upon the one making the positive assertion. It has to be this way as a matter of logical necessity.