Am I dieting while pregnant

Options
Hi ladies, I just found out I am pregnant (5 weeks so very early) and have been dieting to get to my goal weight. I am currently 5ft 7" and 157lbs which is higher than I want to be and while I don't want to deprive my baby of the necessary nutrients, I would like to stick to a minimum caloric intake and exercise regime so I can hopefully keep losing for the next 5weeks. I try to net 1200 calories a day depending on how much exercise I am doing. Do you think this is too aggressive? According to MFP if I keep at this pace I will be 148lbs in 5 weeks. I hope to maintain and gain normal baby weight from 10weeks through the duration of the pregnancy and I just want to have a decent baseline weight but most importantly I don't want to deprive my baby of necessary nutrients. Thank you.

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to eat under maintenence or lose weight while I would recommend calling your doc right away as well as seeing a nutritionist that specializes in pregnancy. You are already within a normal weight range for your height, so I would seek a medical opinon before dieting to lose in the first trimester.

I was also within a normal weight and ate maintenence for the first trimester, which was 2150 per day. I barely gained any weight for the first three months and what I did gain was bloat. I am now eating 2350 in the third trimester and am all set to be within a normal and healthy weight gain. I feel great and have energy to spare. I have noticed on days that I do not eat close to my goal that I lack energy and have more pregnancy related symptoms. It can be difficult to get the nutrients and energy your body requires on a 1200 calorie diet. I personally wouldn't do a goal that low even while not pregnant. I always lost better eating closer to 2K per day.

This site is a great reference point for how many calories to eat in pregnancy if you want to check it out.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ruby that I would not restrict to 1200 calories even while not pregnant, and if you're aiming for a 9lb loss in 5 weeks... while at a healthy weight... while pregnant, I think that is indeed a bit extreme. You need protein, you need iron, you need calcium, you need fat to build the baby's brain, you need a lot of nutrients to make a healthy baby and you probably are going to need more than 1200 calories to achieve a balanced diet.
  • yahyamommy
    yahyamommy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not to go for 1200 cals. Choose very healthy foods and smoothies you will definitely end ur day filled, satisfied and some calories still left.
  • Gemiller2012
    Gemiller2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am gobsmacked. I work from home and have a very sedentary job and my old trainer recommended 1200 net calorie intake prior to pregnancy. I will no longer follow this guideline and will definitely talk to my Dr. about appropriate exercise/eating routines. Ruby, the link was very informative and advises 1500 calorie intake to maintain a base metabolic rate. With working out, there is no way I should go as low as 1200 calories. Thanks again.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am gobsmacked. I work from home and have a very sedentary job and my old trainer recommended 1200 net calorie intake prior to pregnancy. I will no longer follow this guideline and will definitely talk to my Dr. about appropriate exercise/eating routines. Ruby, the link was very informative and advises 1500 calorie intake to maintain a base metabolic rate. With working out, there is no way I should go as low as 1200 calories. Thanks again.

Sounds like these ladies have already provided you with the info you need!

Just wanted to add I started pregnancy at the exact same weight and we are the same height. I am 35 weeks currently, only up 16 lbs total, which my provider thinks is great. I exercise regularly and eat anywhere from 2000 - 2500 calories per day (so WAY more than 1200). I also have a desk job... It seems to take a lot for me to fuel both my workouts and baby's growth, so I can't imagine trying to do that at 1200 calories... or even less than 2000 for that matter! That is just me, you will find the right number for you... Wishing you the best of luck and CONGRATS!
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was starving not pregnant when I tried to do 1200 calories and I weighed under 140. I would definitely not recommend this at all. It's not healthy for most people not pregnant so definitely can't be while carrying a baby. I'm not a nutritionist but I would recommend eating at maintenance or within 100 calories or so of it for the first trimester.
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Glad you found the link helpful!!! Knowing your BMR and TDEE is very helpful and it is super important to eat enough, but especially so while pregnant. I personally feel like I needed the calories even more in the first trimester than I do now. My body was doing a LOT.

Here is another site for figuring out TDEE (maintenence). I like to cross reference a few to make sure I am eating enough. It is also very important to eat more if your physical activity increases in any way. :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Sounds like these ladies have already provided you with the info you need!

Just wanted to add I started pregnancy at the exact same weight and we are the same height. I am 35 weeks currently, only up 16 lbs total, which my provider thinks is great. I exercise regularly and eat anywhere from 2000 - 2500 calories per day (so WAY more than 1200). I also have a desk job... It seems to take a lot for me to fuel both my workouts and baby's growth, so I can't imagine trying to do that at 1200 calories... or even less than 2000 for that matter! That is just me, you will find the right number for you... Wishing you the best of luck and CONGRATS!

I second this, too. I could easily eat well over 2500 calories per day sometimes!! I also work a completely sedentary desk job, but workout often. I also have a toddler, so my life outside of work is anything but sedentary. I always choose the higher activity level based on those things.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Im doctor told me that at my weight (206) he wanted me at 2200 calories per day. If I had been normal weight, 2400.

Eat more. Youll feel better and your baby will grow.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too low - I think you should aim for maintenance.
  • Stephaniengarner
    Options
    I a57 and weighed 138 pre pregnancy and Most of the time I do not eat a whole lot more than 1,200 but I think it is because when I was trying to lose weight I was trying to fallow the diet a lot of models do after pregnancy to get back in shape and it only allows you 900 calories but now I have been eating ant where from 1,100 to 1,500 and my baby has been growing nicely and I have gained 11 lbs now and my midwife seems to be very happy with that.
    My goal was to hit 120 before I had another baby but I did not make it lol going up the scale again
    but I would not recommend only eating like that unless you dr or midwife says that it is ok for you