Lantus

Options
MzGibb23
MzGibb23 Posts: 13 Member
Does anyone else have a burning sensation from taking Lantus? It's right in the middle of my stomach. But not where I inject...

Replies

• k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I don't remember this ever happening to me, but then again I haven't used a long-acting insulin in 4 years because I use an insulin pump, so maybe I just don't remember. I DO remember that I had to inject Lantus in a very fatty area because it sort of 'crystallizes' under the skin and if I did it in a leaner area I'd get hard painful bumps for a day or two.
  • MzGibb23
    Options
    I also use the novolog pen, but never had any "side effects" from it. I use the lantus at night and mid morning I have this burning sensation in my stomach and I notice it is only after I use lantus. I looked up side effects and this isn't listed. Hmm.
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    FriedPicklePrincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use Levemir for my long lasting, and NovoLog at meals. The NovoLog stings if I do it too fast. A nurse told me that some of us are just more sensitive and will get a minor sting from them.
  • MzGibb23
    Options
    yeah I think I may use too much. (20-30 units nightly) If It was at my injection site, i'd understand more why it would sting but its a weird feeling. Im going to ask my doctor if I can split it up?

Speaking of Doctors... I have to find a new one. I called to confirm my apt and to let work know to find out SHE MOVED WITHOUT notice. I loved her. She was so understanding and helped out a lot with samples and stuff since I just got insurance again and its pre-e...
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am using that and that happens when my insulin is cold. I have my pins at room temp so there is no burning feeling-
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Lantus does sting and the burn can hang on for a bit. The intensity can be related to the size of the injection and a large dose given as a single injection can cause some referred nerve pain. Try splitting the dose into several smaller shots. There is also data out there that the effectiveness of a single larger dose is less than the same amout give in as several smaller shots. So pay attention to your overnight BGs to make sure you do not go low when you split the dose into several locations. Be sure to watch you post meal Bgs as well - if you get a better basal effect you may need to decrease the amount of insulin you take to cover meals.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I inject 25u for my nighttime dose, the only time I have gotten any pain is injecting it cold. Room temp is the way to go with these pens. I was also told to press down the plunger slowly and to count to 10 before removing the needle. Do ask your endo.
  • train4bane
    Options
    I use Lantus and Novorapid. I notice that Lantus does hurt and I sometimes lay in bed at night rubbing the area I just injected. I find injecting in the buttocks hurts the least.