New to UP - question about food logging

Options
Just got my UP yesterday and I really like logging the food on my phone app with the images and nutrition info in one place, but it looks like I have to choose between MFP and UP for food logging - can't log food using the UP app and then put it in MFP too without it double counting?

A little about me - I'm 41, recently became a stay at home mom with my 4yr old daughter...two months ago I quit my job in advertising because it was too stressful and I was gaining weight fast due to stress eating and no exercise. Hoping the UP band will get me back on track & motivate me to get healthy again.

Of course, I'm also looking for new teammates - I'm Heather Keatts.

Replies

• zarabeth
    zarabeth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had mine a couple of weeks. So far I found that when they sync, the food goes from MFP into the UP, but not from UP to MFP. That's fine, because MFP is so much easier to log all your food in. And the UP syncs into MFP your calories burned. I hope it's wrong though 'cause it would depress me to know that hitting over 10000 a day, It still.barely gives me 200 calories burned.

I would love to add teammates, I don't have any, but I can't figure out how to.
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Heather welcome to up... What kind of advertising??? I work in digital / rtb advertising so understand the stress levels

I found the best way is to log food on MFP as that syncs and has the better database and then use up to log all my activities.

Zara it depends what you have your activity level set to in MFP to the calorie adjustment - I'm set on sedentary and it takes around 7500 steps on the up before i get any calorie adjustment at all... you can check in your diary sections to what MFP thinks you will burn and what the up says based on your movements.
  • heatherk8s
    Options
    zarabeth - you can add me as a team mate... just search for me by name (Heather Keatts) when you're in the team menu - upper left corner of your mobile display has three lines, which opens a series of menus including the "Team" option...then click the little icon in the upper RIGHT to add a person & search by name. Hope that helps!

ladylego1- I was an art director on the corporate side for a while, then moved to Florida & took a job as account manager with an agency, worked with tourism accounts which was fun, but workload was MUCH too heavy to balance life. I was working all hours and even on weekends and holidays. Glad to be home and more relaxed but sure do miss the extra income & creating my own schedule is a challenge at times. Never thought motivation would be a problem while I was in the office world! Thanks for adding me. :o)

Funny thing about adding my food to MFP is that I like the images on the UP better - motivates me to choose healthy food by looking at those beautiful menu-style images. Yes, I was in marketing for good reason! ;p Any tips? I would gladly log in both places if they didn't sync up, but I can't find an option to sync only activity (from UP to MFP) - really want the food logged in both places! HELP!
  • zarabeth
    zarabeth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Heather, glad to have a teammates. Also accidentally, and happily got a few more while trying to get you. Go to the app section in MFP from a computer (not the phone), and you should easily find the UP app.
  • pamsgottalose
    pamsgottalose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my UP for 1week and I'm confused. Do I log my food and fitness on my UP or MFP?
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had my UP for 1week and I'm confused. Do I log my food and fitness on my UP or MFP?

Not sure, I've had mine for just a few days and I'm slightly confused as well. I've been logging on MFP thus far.
  • calais8587
    Options
    I've found it easiest to log all food with MFP and all activities with the UP app. That seems to give me the most accurate logging of my activities.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Food only syncs one way. MFP sends your aggregate meal data to UP.

Exercise syncs both ways. Do not log step-based activity (unless you want to enter HRM calories in MFP). Non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) can be logged either in UP or in MFP—never both. It will take trial & error to find what works for you. (I find UP's burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates.) When you log in MFP, you're asked for start & end times, and MFP overrides your step data during that time.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've found it easiest to log all food with MFP and all activities with the UP app. That seems to give me the most accurate logging of my activities.

^^^This is also what I have found works best. Your meals from MFP will carry over to Up. I also use the "Map my fitness" app a lot for logging workouts etc and have that linked to both MFP and my Up.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've had mine a couple of weeks. So far I found that when they sync, the food goes from MFP into the UP, but not from UP to MFP. That's fine, because MFP is so much easier to log all your food in. And the UP syncs into MFP your calories burned. I hope it's wrong though 'cause it would depress me to know that hitting over 10000 a day, It still.barely gives me 200 calories burned.

I would love to add teammates, I don't have any, but I can't figure out how to.

You just need their email to add teammates. Feel free to add me: Ldysw357@yahoo.com
  • jc4mee
    jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this. I got my Up on Sunday and I'm not sure how it works as far as logging calories burned. I'm set up in MFP as sedentary and so I hope that my movements while wearing my Up will allow me to see some adjustment. Have not seen anything yet, but have not gotten a whole lot of steps these last 2 days.

I had a Body Media Fit that I used before it started breaking me out. I was sort of expecting the Up to work in the same way, but apparently it doesn't monitor at the same level as the BM. Now I'm wondering if the Up is any better than my pedometer. Guess we will see.

If anyone has any additional information on how they use their band I would love to hear it!!
    Thanks....