Depression and Weight loss

Options
Emar11
Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
I have struggles on and off for years with depression and anxiety. Currently I am not on any medications and don't plan on being on them as I am not a fan of being medicated. I am an emotional eater and gained the most weight during a very low time in my life. Now I have made a lot of improvement over the years, and am now going through a break up, of sorts and can see myself slipping into those bad habits and losing motivation to do anything but sleep and eat. And just those things are exhausting.

Has anyone else been through similar things? How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• suzumichan1
    suzumichan1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know this all to well! I kept a private log of what I ate and how I was feeling and just kept in my mind that I want to do this for my children! (This was before I had my daughter) Not sure if this will help or not. But Also having friends that are losing weight around you helps out as well.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am on meds for anxiety/depression but just a very low dose of lexapro. Personally I love my meds, they have made such a difference. That said, EXERCISE is such a good remedy! You need those endorphins! I have concluded the only way I am ever going to get off my meds is by becoming and exercise junkie. Good nutrition helps too. When I eat crap I feel like crap. Think of food and exercise as your drugs!
  • lil22tada
    Options
    I have had many years of the same problems. I hate meds and refuse to take them because of the crazy sideffects. However, this is what I have learned. When I am feeling depressed (like I want to binge eat) or I am feeling anxiety (I also used to have anxiety attacks) I have my go to "Happy" or upbeat playlist on my mp3 player. I throw that on, forget the world and problems, and get moving. Walking/excercising is extremely stress relieving. And when I am not in the mood to do that, I clean my house. Sounds kinda dumb right, however it gives u something to focus on except your stress, while you are listening to awesome music, plus, when the house is all fresh and clean take a moment to sit and think....wow this looks/smells awesome here. I DID THAT! Be proud of all accomplishments, even the small mundane ones. Soon, you would even feel so down. Hope this helps anyone. ;)