Does lifting impact on running?

Options
kiekie
kiekie Posts: 289 Member
I'm fairly new to running (4 months in, 3xweek and currently at 10k) and am totally hooked. I have plans to keep moving up to a half, maybe this year, maybe next spring when there's more events on.

I love to lift (only up to 25lb at home right now) and just wondered how this will be affecting my running. I don't want to be building lots of muscle and then lose it on the road or for it to negatively impact my race performance but I do want to get stronger, especially in my core, hips, arms and back.

I've always been an at-home exerciser and now I'm hooked on running in the great outdoors, I feel a bit lost as to what will be the best all-round plan for me.

So my goals are to not necessarily lose weight as I'm in the middle of my healthy range (could stand to lose 10lbs or so though) but to change my body composition because I'm 28% BF at the moment (and I hate it), get stronger and run further.

Any ideas?

Replies

• greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know what people have to say about this too. I run half marathons and I want to start lifting heavy, hoping to tone and change my body composition too.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @KathleenMurry should be able to chime in here. She has recently begun working with a trainer that specializes with runners. I'd be willing to bet he has shared an opinion or 3 on lifting and running together.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I can offer my limited experience as I started lifting on machines in the beginning of June and moved on to Stronglifts several weeks ago.

The Positives:
    - It is helping to resolve some issues I was having with lower back and piriformis pain. While they are not yet eliminated they are greatly reduced.
    - It seems to have helped me in doing marathon paced and tempo runs. Not really sure if this is because my legs got stronger or because things are hurting less.
    - As long as I time things right it doesn't seem to interfere with getting quality runs done (6 days a week running (55-60mi) and 3 days a week lifting)

The Negatives:
    - Two days a week I lift before I run on easy run days. Although I keep the pace reasonable for easy sometimes they don't feel so easy after squatting or deadlifting. Even relatively short and modestly paced these runs sometimes are a chore.
    - Every two weeks I have to lift right after finishing my long run. Squatting after 15 miles with 8 at M pace gives you a new appreciation for how running can make your legs tight and sore.
    - My recent 5Ks have gotten slower. Actually, I don't think they have gotten slower because of lifting but rather because I lifted the day before and did a hard long tempo a couple of days before. I am leaving the real test for my fall marathon where I can do a proper taper and run at a peak rather than in the middle of a training week.

Overall, adding the lifting has made me feel better. I did have to reduce my overall mileage by about 10 to 15% to allow for proper recovery. I needed to do that anyway because I have spent a long time borderline overtraining and not improving much. Also, I have gained a few pounds. Weight is up about 10 pounds from my lowest and bodyfat up around 2%. Around 7 of that increase is from lean body mass. Since I am 53 and bodyfat is still around 12% I am not concerned about the increase. I feel like I had previously reduced below my own optimum level for health and performance anyway.

The only thing I would be concerned with is someone trying to add heavy lifting at the same time they are trying to increase mileage. In that case you would have to pay very carefull attention to proper recovery. Get enough sleep and enough food to support it. In my case reducing mileage and adding the lifting seems to be working, although as I said above the real test doesn't come until November.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm also new-ish to running, sersiously since about February.

I had started to do the C25K program in Novemeber, and suffered a knee injury early on. Under the supervision of a sports therapist, he had me build into parallel, but not below parallel, squats to build up some strength to support my knees better.

Anyway, When the snow came, I kept on with the weights, light at first, then gradually getting heavier. I completed the first 2 stages of the New Rules of Lifting for Women right around the time the first thaw started to happen in late February, early March. I went for my first run outside, and was ver pleased with myself that I had not pain, and no problem running, without a walk break, for 6.2 KM.

For me, I love focusing a bit more on my core, back, and arms with my weights 3 days a week, and I will add in legs for 2 of those workouts. (Full body). I don't squat/deadlift as heavy as I was, but, I'm not really trying to go for gains at this point either, but rather reducing overall BF.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @KathleenMurry should be able to chime in here. She has recently begun working with a trainer that specializes with runners. I'd be willing to bet he has shared an opinion or 3 on lifting and running together.

Hahaha, here I am!

OK, first, I'm not an expert. I'm pretty much where you're at - i started in April. I ran my first 10 KM race YESTERDAY! Finished 4th in category though :)

Anyway, I always thought light calisthenics would be enough for running because I thought the slimmer the better, right? Well, as I'm learning, lifting is great for running. Being a woman and assuming you aren't taking any hormones, lifting will NOT make you bulky and slow you down as a runner. And there is lifting you can do specifically to improve your running. Bicep curls will be pretty useless to you. Coach has me focusing on my chest and lats so that my posture improves (posture is very important for form and we tend to let it go when we fatigue). We're also going heavy on the leg press so that I can get more power out of my legs. You have to lift heavy enough that you're challenging yourself - that's how you get stronger. The whole thing about low weight high reps will just help you go nowhere. .

Lifting heavy will also help you with your body fat %. Muscles burn fat. At 28% BF, you're carrying a lot of excess fat. Adding weights to your routine will help there. I'm not sure if you're trying to get competitive or just want to be a good general runner. If you're looking to be competitive one day, aim for 15-18 % BF.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it does. But, I lift pretty hard, and I am older. They say it prevents injury -- and I did start lifting so I could have something to do that spared my body the punishment of running.
  • kiekie
    Options
    I can offer my limited experience as I started lifting on machines in the beginning of June and moved on to Stronglifts several weeks ago.

The Positives:
    - It is helping to resolve some issues I was having with lower back and piriformis pain. While they are not yet eliminated they are greatly reduced.
    - It seems to have helped me in doing marathon paced and tempo runs. Not really sure if this is because my legs got stronger or because things are hurting less.
    - As long as I time things right it doesn't seem to interfere with getting quality runs done (6 days a week running (55-60mi) and 3 days a week lifting)

The Negatives:
    - Two days a week I lift before I run on easy run days. Although I keep the pace reasonable for easy sometimes they don't feel so easy after squatting or deadlifting. Even relatively short and modestly paced these runs sometimes are a chore.
    - Every two weeks I have to lift right after finishing my long run. Squatting after 15 miles with 8 at M pace gives you a new appreciation for how running can make your legs tight and sore.
    - My recent 5Ks have gotten slower. Actually, I don't think they have gotten slower because of lifting but rather because I lifted the day before and did a hard long tempo a couple of days before. I am leaving the real test for my fall marathon where I can do a proper taper and run at a peak rather than in the middle of a training week.

Overall, adding the lifting has made me feel better. I did have to reduce my overall mileage by about 10 to 15% to allow for proper recovery. I needed to do that anyway because I have spent a long time borderline overtraining and not improving much. Also, I have gained a few pounds. Weight is up about 10 pounds from my lowest and bodyfat up around 2%. Around 7 of that increase is from lean body mass. Since I am 53 and bodyfat is still around 12% I am not concerned about the increase. I feel like I had previously reduced below my own optimum level for health and performance anyway.

The only thing I would be concerned with is someone trying to add heavy lifting at the same time they are trying to increase mileage. In that case you would have to pay very carefull attention to proper recovery. Get enough sleep and enough food to support it. In my case reducing mileage and adding the lifting seems to be working, although as I said above the real test doesn't come until November.

Thank you, this is very helpful to see how things have worked for you. Squatting after 15m sounds like HELL! I'd be sure to do the weights and runs on different days. Unfortunately, with a toddler, enough sleep is something I never get!
  • kiekie
    Options
    I'm also new-ish to running, sersiously since about February.

I had started to do the C25K program in Novemeber, and suffered a knee injury early on. Under the supervision of a sports therapist, he had me build into parallel, but not below parallel, squats to build up some strength to support my knees better.

Anyway, When the snow came, I kept on with the weights, light at first, then gradually getting heavier. I completed the first 2 stages of the New Rules of Lifting for Women right around the time the first thaw started to happen in late February, early March. I went for my first run outside, and was ver pleased with myself that I had not pain, and no problem running, without a walk break, for 6.2 KM.

For me, I love focusing a bit more on my core, back, and arms with my weights 3 days a week, and I will add in legs for 2 of those workouts. (Full body). I don't squat/deadlift as heavy as I was, but, I'm not really trying to go for gains at this point either, but rather reducing overall BF.

Great that you're feeling generally stronger! My knees are particularly weak too. I got a knee injury towards the end of C25k - a few weeks after stopping the weights to focus on the running!
  • kiekie
    Options
    Hahaha, here I am!

OK, first, I'm not an expert. I'm pretty much where you're at - i started in April. I ran my first 10 KM race YESTERDAY! Finished 4th in category though :)

Anyway, I always thought light calisthenics would be enough for running because I thought the slimmer the better, right? Well, as I'm learning, lifting is great for running. Being a woman and assuming you aren't taking any hormones, lifting will NOT make you bulky and slow you down as a runner. And there is lifting you can do specifically to improve your running. Bicep curls will be pretty useless to you. Coach has me focusing on my chest and lats so that my posture improves (posture is very important for form and we tend to let it go when we fatigue). We're also going heavy on the leg press so that I can get more power out of my legs. You have to lift heavy enough that you're challenging yourself - that's how you get stronger. The whole thing about low weight high reps will just help you go nowhere. .

Lifting heavy will also help you with your body fat %. Muscles burn fat. At 28% BF, you're carrying a lot of excess fat. Adding weights to your routine will help there. I'm not sure if you're trying to get competitive or just want to be a good general runner. If you're looking to be competitive one day, aim for 15-18 % BF.

Awesome first 10k! I tip my bonnet to you, good lady!

I was filmed during the last .1 of ParkRun at the weekend and was appalled at my upper body posture. I wish I had a better strength and awareness of it to correct but to be fair, I had shaved 2 mins off my PB so yeah, I was totally fatigued!

The lifting I'm currently doing is to failure at 10-12 reps, the next phase we fail at 6-8 reps. I'm super weak so my 25lbers are definitely challenging at the moment and I'm planning to pay up for gym membership to go heavier once I'm through with those.

15% body fat seems half a world away! :sad:

I've lost 20lbs and only 2% body fat so far, so I'm really hoping sticking with the weights and being diligent with my diet will finally get that figure down. I'm not really looking to be competitive, only with myself :happy:

Thank you so much for your input!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Both my physical trainer and running coach strongly advised I do strength for several reasons:
    - to get stronger and avoid injury (most importantly I think)
    - to be a better overall athlete
    - to run stronger

I'm sure there's more to it, but since I was sidelined after my plantaar faciitis injury, I went to Dr then was prescribed physical therapy. My therapist explained that all muscles are connected, any weak ones or off balanced will only trigger problems down the road. Her aim was to get me to strengthen from the hips and down to my feet. Of course the core is also supposed to be strengthened as well. She had me do squats, lunges, machine leg moves, balance exercises and tons of stretching.
    There's a lot of info on the net- good luck!
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I lift 2 times a week. One is after my long run. After my post long run weight training i am wiped out the rest of the day. During the week i lift the day after speed work. I am more tired than i was before i started weight, i guess about 4 months ago. I am enjoying the help it gives me on shedding some unwanted fat though, so i struggle thru it. If i have a race coming up i will not lift that week and it helps with the endurance. So, i would also like to hear from some more experienced people who run, and get their take on it.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why not set the date for the half that you plan on running. Then perhaps before you start your actual half training plan, continue with your lifting program as planned (lifting 3-4 times a week or however you structure it). During this time continue to increase weight to build strength and continue running as you have been, you may need to adjust according to longer runs depending on how you feel.

Once you formally start your training plan I would only lift twice a week on easy days to help maintain muscle mass.
  • MissAbi13dot1
    Options
    Yes, and yes! I have been interval training (weights/ sprints/ hills) with a trainer for the last year. It's helped my runs substantially as I've been focusing on sprints and speed work plus core. It has made the long runs easier since my sprints have gotten down (7 min mile) and weight has gone up. However, as my mileage goes up in preparation for my first 1/2 marathon (24 miles last week), I am needing to scale back on lifting. I will probably start working on dailey method (yoga/ pilaties/ dance) until my 1/2 training is over. My knees were giving me trouble and were too tight, esp IT band. I've been conscious to roll out daily to avoid injury.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I lift weights, heavier compound work in the 6-10 rep range, on my shorter days (4-6 mile days), which is usually 2 days per week, +1 day of circuit training (8-12 rep range) which also includes plyo, speed work, bounding, drills etc (on my hills or strength run), then on my longer running days I always do foam rolling/yoga or bodyweight work.

I take a full rest/active rest day one day per week at the moment but as mileage is creeping up past 30 miles now, I'll be dropping a weights day in there and putting in another recovery run with more yoga/body weight work instead so it won't hinder recovery.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie: finished C25k in February, did a 10k in June and am training for a half in October.

I did a "Good Form Running" clinic in July. All of my life, I've had issues with weak hips and it showed up in the clinic too. My hip would drop when I stand on one leg, etc.

Between Pilates and New Rules of Lifting, I've completely reversed this. Not only is my form better with a stronger core, but I'm also seeing less pronation in my *feet* because I'm not being thrown off balance with every step. My knee no longer turns in.

My position is that a runner needs to be fit. You take an overweight, out of shape runner (me) and pour on the miles and speed, what you're going to get is an injury. You spend some time building up base fitness with cross training and you're going to develop into a runner that can handle the challenges of training much more easily.

I'm currently doing two days of New Rules of Lifting and one day of Yogilates.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that lifting higher weight at lower reps (4 sets of 4 reps of 4 rep max weight) is better for your strength and running economy than lower weight/higher rep (3 sets of 10-12 reps of lighter weight), but any lifting is going to be beneficial for injury prevention.

Here's a synopsis of one of the studies: http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chalmers/PDFs/Running economy and resistance training.pdf

Edit: Forgot to include my personal experience. I'm currently a 50-80 mile a week runner, and I lift 4 days a week (2 upper body, 2 lower body). After reading about the recent studies I switched 2 weeks ago from the High Reps/lower weight to the low reps/higher weight, I'm feeling stronger and my "Workout" runs aren't suffering. I schedule my lower body days to be in the evening after a morning workout run (For example yesterday I did my 5X800 intervals as part of my morning 9 miler, and then after work did my lower body lifts)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie: finished C25k in February, did a 10k in June and am training for a half in October.

I did a "Good Form Running" clinic in July. All of my life, I've had issues with weak hips and it showed up in the clinic too. My hip would drop when I stand on one leg, etc.

Between Pilates and New Rules of Lifting, I've completely reversed this. Not only is my form better with a stronger core, but I'm also seeing less pronation in my *feet* because I'm not being thrown off balance with every step. My knee no longer turns in.

My position is that a runner needs to be fit. You take an overweight, out of shape runner (me) and pour on the miles and speed, what you're going to get is an injury. You spend some time building up base fitness with cross training and you're going to develop into a runner that can handle the challenges of training much more easily.

Classic stuff - the hip drop and runner's knee.

"hip drop" - I'm sure it's discussed in other places but "Running Technique" by Brian Martin (Amazon for dead tree and digital versions) goes over the role of the use of muscles to hold the hips rigid.

I had "runner's knee" from 1977 to 2011. I did PT for the right knee (the only symptoms on the right were a bolt of excruciating pain a couple of times a week) but never did anything for the left so I had a constant ache on that side until I started taking glucosamine.

Four months after I started running, I stopped taking the glucosamine and I've been symptom free ever since.

Next week I'm starting to train for an HM in October and I will be incorporating strength training and running drills into my training schedule.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Classic stuff - the hip drop and runner's knee.

"hip drop" - I'm sure it's discussed in other places but "Running Technique" by Brian Martin (Amazon for dead tree and digital versions) goes over the role of the use of muscles to hold the hips rigid.

I had "runner's knee" from 1977 to 2011. I did PT for the right knee (the only symptoms on the right were a bolt of excruciating pain a couple of times a week) but never did anything for the left so I had a constant ache on that side until I started taking glucosamine.

Four months after I started running, I stopped taking the glucosamine and I've been symptom free ever since.

Next week I'm starting to train for an HM in October and I will be incorporating strength training and running drills into my training schedule.

I read "Anatomy for Runners"
  • kiekie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Lots of useful information and experiences here and it's great to meet so many people who do both lifting and running.

I think the best plan for me would be to continue 3x week to up my strength before dropping down to 2x week when I start my half training in earnest. Not sure when that will be, possibly entering one in November but my be May next year.

I'll definitely check out the references and Anatomy for Runners. I don't think there's any Good Form Running events here in the UK but I'm hoping to join a running club soon so perhaps I'll get some tips on form from them.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that lifting higher weight at lower reps (4 sets of 4 reps of 4 rep max weight) is better for your strength and running economy than lower weight/higher rep (3 sets of 10-12 reps of lighter weight), but any lifting is going to be beneficial for injury prevention.

Here's a synopsis of one of the studies: http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chalmers/PDFs/Running economy and resistance training.pdf

Edit: Forgot to include my personal experience. I'm currently a 50-80 mile a week runner, and I lift 4 days a week (2 upper body, 2 lower body). After reading about the recent studies I switched 2 weeks ago from the High Reps/lower weight to the low reps/higher weight, I'm feeling stronger and my "Workout" runs aren't suffering. I schedule my lower body days to be in the evening after a morning workout run (For example yesterday I did my 5X800 intervals as part of my morning 9 miler, and then after work did my lower body lifts)

Yesh, good point and I seriously wish I had more weight laying around the house (I don't have more room for more), my gym days are sporadic, I can get my runs in and home circuit training done on a regular basis, but heavy lifting in the 4-6 range doesn't happen often anymore. It's definitely a better way to lift for performance to go purely for strength and to avoid putting muscle mass on if the goal is to get lighter/faster (but running lots kinda counter acts that anyways for most people). I'm still trying to figure out what exactly works for lower body days in my rotation.