Trying to Conceive Naturally

VeggieKidMandy
VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
I've been diagnosed with PCOS recently , and my husband and I would really like to try for a baby, but honestly the odds are stacked against me I feel, especially since I want to do this naturally and not take metamorphin. I have adapted a new Vegan Diet with a cardio and strength routine...I am losing weight, but i still have 70 lbs to lose....

My question is...has anyone conceived that has PCOS that hasn't used any drugs to get pregnant? and if so...what steps did you take ?

Replies

• melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    In today's world there are a lot of things that help or hinder your fertility journey. I say this because I spent 3.5yrs trying out everything I could to get pregnant. A great help is ovulation kits. Check at Wal-Mart usually around 10.00 for one month kit. This will help to determine if you are ovulating every month. Also if you haven't already have your B vitamin levels checked. Start taking a multivitamin with Folic acid. Remember unless your one of the lucky few pregnancy will not happen over night! Its easy to get discouraged and to feel like giving up. I needed help jump starting my ovaries so I did one round of clomid and got pregnant but miscarried at 7wks. Then went on an exercise bend (LOL) and lost around 20lbs started ovulating and got pregnant naturally. (This pregnancy was thrilling but we ended up loosing our son to stillbirth), third time I paid more attention to my carb intake (no more than 40g per meal, 15g per snack and watched calories. I got pregnant with our daughter who is 4.5yrs old. As I said TIME~
    If you need a friend feel free to add me. I'm no longer TTC because due to other issues I had to have a hysterectomy last month. :)
  • presleytitus
    presleytitus Posts: 22 Member
    I was able to get pregnant after losing approx 20 lbs last year. I was walking during my lunch hour, making sure I ate pretty healthy (lots of salads and more natural foods- no microwave meals and very limited processed foods) and started doing a spin class a couple of times a week. For the first time in my life I lost the fat in my belly, I had worked out before and even though I may have lost more weight this time you could really tell in my belly. Anyhow, I started tracking my periods on my phone using a free app (MyDays X) which IF you have "regular" cycles gives you your best days. I think those ovulation kits are a great idea too.
    Unfortunately I lost my son after 16 weeks but am on the road to try again. Best of luck to you!
    PS. I had been prescribed Metphormin and am currently on it. Last year I had to stop taking it in December due to some blood pressure issues not connected with the workouts or PCOS so I doubt that really had any effect on my ability to conceive in January. I do hear it does help get you more regular though, but don't blame you for wanted to try all natural! Rooting for you and hope you keep us posted :) Feel free to friend me. :flowerforyou:
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    I am in the same boat as you. I hope, and pray I conceive naturally and so far the boards have been very informative. I've read a few posts similar to this where people started dropping weight, and BAM they found out during their journey that they had conceived and were X amount of weeks along.

So far I haven't had any luck, but I am still going at it as well. Good luck to you and feel free to friend me. :flowerforyou:
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    I did one round of clomid hitch helped me ovulate but not get pregnant. Decided to lose weight and see if that helped lost 15 lbs and sure enough cycles came back also bc I was eating healthier I got off my diabetic meds I did have to stay on low dose metformin bc of the side effects of pcos but after losing 30 lbs I got my little surprise I'm now 17 weeks pregnant and although I was metformin i consider it natural bc i was on metformin for a long time at higher doses and nothing happened until i lost weight Good luck on your journey
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    I used Clomid to get pregnant with my first child. After that, I decided to lose weight. I found that after I lost 30# and was about 170, my cycle started back up on its own. I conceived my other 2 kids naturally.
  • dande2169
    dande2169 Posts: 9 Member
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS recently , and my husband and I would really like to try for a baby, but honestly the odds are stacked against me I feel, especially since I want to do this naturally and not take metamorphin. I have adapted a new Vegan Diet with a cardio and strength routine...I am losing weight, but i still have 70 lbs to lose....

My question is...has anyone conceived that has PCOS that hasn't used any drugs to get pregnant? and if so...what steps did you take ?

I understand how you're feeling like the odds are stacked against you. I still remember the day I was diagnosed with PCOS and I was absolutely devastated. But my husband and I sat down, researched it together and decided how we would proceed with trying to get pregnant (I truly only wanted to conceive naturally - I always try to avoid medications whenever possible). We decided on a plan for TTC and six weeks later we conceived our son who is 3. The only thing we did was the Ovulation Test Kit - I believe it was First Response brand (the month supply) and I logged EVERYTHING.

*I am a diabetic and am on oral medication during pregnancy, but when I'm not pregnant I am able to manage it with diet and exercise (no meds).

Last year I got pregnant a second time with twins (we weren't really trying so we were doubly shocked), but that resulted in a miscarriage.

We are currently 32 weeks pregnant and everything is going fine - we are being monitored extremely closely. This one was achieved without medical intervention as well. I honestly feel that my miscarry of the twins had something to do with my overall health (regardless of what anyone has tried to tell me) and signed up for 6 months of fitness boot camp - we conceived my 5th months into boot camp. I just have to say that this baby was conceived the day that I was due to have the twins (I LOG EVERYTHING)

**Some interesting information: My pregnancy with my 3 year old, I was on a low carb diet & I had lost 12 pounds by the time I reached 24 weeks in the pregnancy and my total weight gain was 12 pounds - he weighed 9lbs 10oz. With this pregnancy, I am on the Low Glycemic Index Diet (much better than the low carb diet) & was down 14 pounds by 20 weeks and am just now weighing in at where I began this pregnancy. I'm not sure if it's from the PCOS, but I suspect that it is.

***IMPORTANT: Try not to get too stressed out about or focused on TTC. I know several women without PCOS that were so stressed/focused on TTC that they weren't successful until they decided to take a break from trying. Stress messes with our hormones and those of us with PCOS already have enough of that going on. Also, PCOS doesn't affect everyone the same way.

You are doing great with your journey! I wish you all the luck with TTC!
  • dande2169
    dande2169 Posts: 9 Member
    I used to work with a couple of women who shared in the plight of PCOS - they are cousins.

The one spent a fortune TTC and never had any luck for more than 10 years. Her sister that doesn't have PCOS eventually did surrogacy for her.

The other went to eating a Mediterranean style diet and she was able to conceive within months (may have been closer to a year) of starting the diet.
  • CoozyRoo
    CoozyRoo Posts: 82 Member
    I was trying not trying but not preventing for 7 years before I decided to go to the doctor. After i was diagnosed, the docotr wouldn't even give me medicine until I lost weight. So I was in the midst of my weight loss journey adn also incorporated the use of ovulation strips and the period tracker app and about 30 lbs and 7 months later, I was able to concieve. My second took more weight loss and about a year and a half of consistent tracking. Best of luck to you.
  • amanda_lessofme
    amanda_lessofme Posts: 26 Member
    I conceived naturally last spring with PCOS after losing 15% of my body weight at the time (around 45lbs), and now have a 6 month old daughter.

However, it wasn't just weight loss. I was also using acupuncture and Chinese Herbs as well as taking supplements suggested here: http://natural-fertility-info.com/. Further, I was strength training, not just doing cardio. As far as how I was fueling my body--I was eating clean and making everything from scratch; eating lots of greens as well as trying to "eat the rainbow," lots of eggs and fish/seafood and some poultry as well as lots of nuts and seeds. And, I also made reducing stress a priority and spent time listening to meditation recordings from Circle+Bloom.

In addition to these changes, I also quit using chemicals in my home and on my body. I went as all natural as possible (bring on the vinegar and coconut oil--just not at the same time!). I also quit using the microwave (reheat using oven or stove) and use as little plastic as possible--it's all glass and stainless steel now.

In addition to the other site listed, I also found this site to be helpful in my journey: http://www.naturalfertilityandwellness.com/ The girl who runs this site also has PCOS.

So, while it was a natural conception in that I didn't use big phrama to help me get pregnant, it wasn't accidental either. I was actively pursuing healing my PCOS naturally.

Congrats on your loss so far! That's amazing.
  • lissabee4
    lissabee4 Posts: 10 Member
    I conceived naturally surprising back in Feb 2013. We're closing in on our due date, 12 weeks to go. In 2012, I dropped 50 lbs. I exercised about 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes per session. Most of the weight loss was not due to exercise, but due to diet. I dramatically increased my raw foods intake by doing weekly fasts from meat and dairy from Jan to Apr 2012. In April, I quit my stressful job, we moved, and I started a much less stressful job. In the summer, I did a Raw Vegan 50 Day Challenge through the Garden Diet (great support group by the way) . I maintained about 80% raw after the program and I walked for exercise. Over the winter by November, I took a break; my goal was just to maintain my weight loss, and in the Spring, I would tackle my next 50 lbs. Well, in March in the middle of an 8 minute HIIT workout, I found myself cheating through the last four minutes because I was exhausted and I had been feeling exhausted over the last couple of weeks. My husband and I were both baffled on "what in the world is wrong with me?" and in the middle of this 8 minute workout I thought, "I wonder if I'm pregnant." My husband went to the pharmacy to get a test and oh yes...we're pregnant.

My advice is you must 1) Identify and actively reduce stress especially distractions to a healthy you 2) Get your diet in order - Fresh is best - figure out what foods really energize your body and make you feel healthy 3) Exercise moderately; stay active and this will help your body naturally detox
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    it can be done I got pregnant on no meds after losing 50lbs, but I lost the pregnancy. This pregnancy I've been on the metformin the whole time. There have been a few studies that show increased fertility and decreased miscarriage with metformin. I'm still on 500mg at 19weeks and attribute my so far good glucose levels and retaining the pregnancy to the drug.

If you've had problems on it before I understand, but if not talk to your doctor maybe there is another alternative.