First Day of StrongLifts -- BIG FAIL

Options
mimi337
mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
I can't be the only one whose first day of 5x5 was a bust. Please feel free to reassure, post progress pics, relay your own newbie blues or just gimme some encouragement. I'm super bummed...

Woke up 9am. Dog. Breakfast: oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries. Check Rippetoe videos to make sure I understand form. End up working for two hours. Start getting hungry. Grab handful of almonds, head off to gym, super excited! Brisk 20 min walk to gym.

Start with stretch session from girlsgonestrong.com (as recommended by another super strong stunner from this group)

Squat -- Olympic bar is about nine feet long. I'm 5'1. My gym is tiny. I decide I'll practice squat. Barely make parallel before QUADS freak out. Almost lose my balance. Can't get to parallel. Try three times. Quads, still sore from LAST WEEK, make it impossible. Decide that's okay, just day one.

Chest press barbell - 45 lbs -- Can't remember exactly what my placement is supposed to be with bar. Decide I should slide down a bit so bar isn't right over my forehead. Easily do 5 sets 5 reps. However, the first two sets are super wobbly so decide not to count them. Getting sweaty.

Pendlay row - the only barbell available is one of those barbells that are already weighted. This one is 30 lbs. I check my form via Rippetoe on youtube. I do my first row. Check my form again on youtube. Can't tell if I'm doing it right -- keep my back parallel, use my back to pull bar up to chest, bar hits just under boobs. My stomach is almost on my thighs. Manage 5 sets of 5.

Decide it can't be over, it's only been 30 minutes or so! And I'm no sure I actually did much especially because of not being able to do the squat. Incline push up (actually push up against a huge wooden box that's about 3 feet tall. Two sets of 10 - really hard. One set of 8 just to feel good.

Stretch, use roller on quads. Ouch but good. Abs. Just because it feels good.

Now it's time to go. Brisk walk home for 20 minutes, asking myself the following questions: if I will ever be able to do a squat? how can i possibly balance a 9 foot bar on my back let alone one with weights? how will i get the amazing bodies of the women i see on this site and in this group? Am i destined to squat without anything forever? what's going to happen to my *kitten* without squats? how can I get rid of the tires around my middle if I'm not lifting heavy? how can I lift heavy if I don't have a spotter or the correct sized barbell?

I guess I should just go back to regular dumbbells and increase the weights...sad face.

Treated myself to delicious homemade lunch: kale salad with sunflower seeds, sardines, a tiny bit of soy sauce and some sesame oil. Delish. Drinking lots of water. BUT STILL!

Analysis: Last week I tried to do squats on the smith machine and I overdid it. My quads have been hurting like hell ever since. I've massaged them, iced them, tried to walk them out but they are still sore. I believe i must have done the smith squat ALL WRONG otherwise, why would my quads hurt so much? How come I didn't feel anything in my glutes?

Where are my glutes anyway? I think I left them with my 30 year old body...

All responses welcome esp from my strong lift sisters. M

Replies

• belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not a big fail!!! You kicked it's *kitten*! I sat down in the squat rack with just the bar my first day. Loud and embarassing, but I kept going and today I squatted 85# 5x5. Not that much weight, but I haven't sat with the bar recently, so YAY!

Anyway, you will develop those stabilizing muscles that you don't use with the smith machine, and soon, you'll have that 9 foot bar propped up there and be squatting like its nothing. You got through the first workout which will be your hardest ever, and it gets sooooo much better from here.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That is totally not a failure in any way! I've been lifting on and off for many years, but i do remember being super sore and unsure of myself the first few times. For the squats; you can also do those with the pre-weighted bars that you used for rows. If you can record video on your phone, you can upload a video of yourself doing squats, rows and whatever and let us comment on any form issues if you think that's an issue.

Keep using the roller on your quads, and do some bodyweight squats to get your flexibility going. I know other people have posted other tricks to get into a lower squat if you have tight hip flexors. Stay with the program and you will see tons of improvements :)
  • mimi337
    Options
    Really you guys? promise??? I'm counting on all of you!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a novice myself, so I don't have much advice, but I do know where you are coming from, because I'm still there...

First of all, going to the gym isn't a big fail - it's BIG SUCCESS. You have done more than many of the bench-sitters out there wishing they had the body you are working toward. Like weight loss, strength training isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You won't cross the finish line any time soon, so don't worry about days that aren't the greatest. This is all about consistent effort.

You sound so much like me, watching Rippetoe videos until you dream them, hoping you can remember every nuance of the lift when you get to the gym. And then get frustrated when you don't have perfect form or a new PB (personal best). Don't worry, it's gonna take time.

It took me about 1 month to feel like I was getting parallel in my squats, but I kept doing them, trusting that with every squat, my flexibility and stamina would grow. And the quads, OMG, I couldn't sit down, stand up, walk stairs for about 2 weeks when I started (but I think most of it was over-zealousness on the leg press). I just continued with my walking, which actually helped relieve the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) - I didn't hurt on my walks!

I read somewhere (maybe GGS) that women tend to be "quad-dominant", instead of using their glutes. This is something that works itself out (I hope!) with increased attention to form and hip-drive.

About 2 weeks ago, I got very frustrated with myself and lack of progress. I gave myself permission to have a guilt-free break from SL5x5. I have since ordered "Starting Strength" at the suggestion of many members of this forum. I received it from Amazon Friday, and have only read a few pages.

But the important thing I discovered was that the power rack will still be in the gym when I get ready to go back to lifting, whether it be next week or next month. Until then, I'm going to arm myself with knowledge which instills confidence in what I am attempting.

You are doing great! Don't forget, all the ladies here who inspire us started where we are. They got where they are not overnight, but after consistent effort. And you and I will get there as well!
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great post and responses. I can relate! My quads have been so sore since doing my first set of squats 2 days ago. I too hope the "quad dominant" thing works itself out. While I was doing squats, I felt it more along the outside of my hips, but now it is definitely my quads that are screaming! Lol. :laugh:
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You can try doing a squat to a chair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRhFRdxExv0 Helps with stability. Also, don't start at 45lbs. It just takes practice. I still suck at squats but, I'm progressing.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You did fine! It will get better. Rows still make me feel awkward lol
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You did awesome! I'm a newbie too, I think you and I started on the same day or so.

My quads hurt like ................lots of swear words inserted here.

I thought I used to do squats before, never did I squat has deep as I'm doing now, I couldn't do anything for two days after my first night, because it just hurt sooo bad

Great work on going to the gym, keep it up, you're doing fantastic.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like anything but a big fail! It was a fabulous beginning!! Next time you'll be a bit stronger and a bit more confident, and you'll keep building on your achievements until you recognise your own inner BAMF!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Saw your post, didn't see the fail. Awesome job!

I slowly and silently crumbled and sat down in the rack on my third day of Stronglifts. As I was ducking under the bar, I saw a dude looking at me slowly and silently. Whatevs though!

This was after I couldn't walk properly for three days after my first empty bar squat experience, during which I couldn't descend stairs anymore and almost fell twice while hobbling straight-legged.

"It gets better" yo.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    Awesome job! And don't worry, for me, squats are the hardest to get right. I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks now but only just started increasing the weight of my squats because I wanted to nail the form and not get injured.

I had problems getting deep enough, I couldn't keep my heels on the floor... but eventually after practicing goblet squats and overhead squats enough I got it right. I think I was a bit scared of having a barbell on my back at first too and was scared I'd get stuck underneath but after some practice I'm much more confident.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Soooooo not a fail!!! you did it - so HIGH FIVE, it ain't easy or everyone would be doing it...

I started with 5kg (11lbs) on my squats.

And my favorite tip - was someone (sorry can't remember who!!) said they realised they squat every time they go to the loo!

Spend time looking at form and practice this - I bend down to pick up washing - I squat (the more you practice the form the more it sticks) I put something in a low cupboard - I squat .

So well done
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just did day 2 yesterday so newbie here too!

I don't think you came anywhere NEAR to failing!!!!!!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi there! As everyone has stated, so NOT a fail! The first time I tried to press the bar, I actually lost my balance and fell over. For a lot of women (me included) I had to start on dumbells and build up to being able to handle the bar. It is awkward in length, I totally get where you are coming from (5' tall here). Keep at it. You will definitely get there. Wishing you strong days ahead!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Like many other said, it is far from a fail..... a fail would have decided not to even try.

Squats are really hard because most of us lack hip mobility from sitting so much. With time it will get better.

I had my own share of getting stuck under the oly bar when doing bench press or giving my an uppercut when doing OHP.

Enjoy the moment, because those newbie gains are awesome. Also, tylenol is a life saver.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have those days too, I think almost all of us do. I go to do squats and I'm like yeah nope not today! Don't be so hard on yourself, you got this!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The only way you can fail is if you let it stop you from going back!!! You're educating yourself and you won't learn it all the first day. Heck, I've been doing SL for over a year and still constantly working on my form. I *just* recently got to the point where rows feel comfortable. Squats....I'm up to 135 lbs but still question my form at times so I increase very slowly. I continue to read, check this forum, and watch videos to learn more. Just keep practicing!

See if you can find a smaller bar to start. My gym had a shorter 22 lb bar I used for some lifts to start. I'm 5'2" so if I can do it, so can you. :wink:
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You did fine, as all these ladies said.

Some people are natural at squats, some need to work at it.

Rows still feel incredibly awkward to me, but I do them.

You get in the swing of it, don't give up.
  • mimi337
    Options
    I LOVE ALL OF YOU!! Thank you for encouraging words! And I can't help it, I did get a chuckle from yanika1's stuck under the bar story. And grandevampire's duck walk. Tomorrow is day 2...will keep you posted. Might be able to give you guys chuckles myself...
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Can't wait! Keep us posted! *rubs hands together*