Starting out to run a marathon - needs friends!!

Options
Hi all,

I'm back on the health kick after about a year where I did nothing!

Really hoping to find some members that can help inspire me and teach me a few things.

I set myself the goal of running a marathon before I turned 30 a couple of years back. I turned 29 in May so really need to get up and go.I'm currently running a 6.5km 4-5 times a week but need some help improving more.

Anyone else out there in a similar position or could give me a hand.

Any advice would be great - or just some links to help keep me motivated.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Keep running. Increase the distance of one of your runs until it consumes 1/4 to 1/3 of your total weekly mileage. Get this run to around 14 miles (which means your weekly mileage will be in the high 40s to low 50s). Once you are at this point, you can start a 16 week marathon training program and be on your way.

If I were you, I would amend my goal to "run a marathon in my 30th year" as you only have 9 months from now. I don't think that's enough time.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I managed to run a marathon last year, and I plan to run another next year - will run a couple of halfs in between as training.

Best to not ask me for advice though! Luckily there are loads of great runners here that will be able to help
  • seizethefray
    Options
    What a coincidence...I've titled my current marathon training program "26.2 before 30." I'm 29 as well. :) My advice is to start training on a set schedule right away. And yes--you want to get those "long runs" in once a week to build up your endurance and get your body used to running long distances.

I'm relatively new to running myself but feel free to add me and we can support each other. I have one half under my belt. Currently training for a second + the full in January. Cheers! Good luck to you.
  • demon2run
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm very keen to do it before I hit 30, although I do understand it will be a tough ask. I've done a couple of halves before so I'm hoping that puts me in the right direction.

I'm going to have to step up my long runs though. Let's see how it turns out......I'll keep you all posted.

Please feel free to add me as a 'friend' I need the support and motivation
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Go download the Hal Higdon Novice training plan. We will wait here.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Got it? Now pick a marathon, put that date at the end of the training plan. Hopefully the start date is after today. Do what the plan says. DO NOT SKIP YOUR LONG RUN.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon with no running experience with a book called "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer". You won't break any land speed records with it but you will complete a marathon. It's only prerequisite is that you can run non-stop for 30 minutes. July of 2011 I got the idea that I wanted to run a marathon. I ran my first one February 2012.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I was 48 for my first. I joined a running club in june of that year and used their training plan. It was nice because the plan was geared for beginners and we had seminars every weekend on running in heat, running appearal, nutrition during runs,....etc. i needed all that knowledge to help me complete my first marathon. Higdon and McMillan also have good information online. Good luck and train on!
  • johnmcc215
    johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me..I'm training for the NYC Marathon in November..then 4 weeks later I start training for the New Jersey Marathon..yeah I know
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Go download the Hal Higdon Novice training plan. We will wait here.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Got it? Now pick a marathon, put that date at the end of the training plan. Hopefully the start date is after today. Do what the plan says. DO NOT SKIP YOUR LONG RUN.

I am training for my first marathon now and Hal Higdon has served me well There are also many great runners in this forum who have helped me immensely!

Happy running!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Is this a "guys-only" area? If so, sorry... I'm looking to meet other runners who have small weight-loss goals (20-30 lbs) and love running. I'm a marathoner-in-training and am looking for running buddies. Usually, I find that I slowly tip off the training schedule when it's time to do time-trials, so I need encouragement or help completing them. Anyone?

Cheers!
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm currently only training for half marathons until next spring, I might dive into a full training regime... but I am collecting running friends so feel free to add me if anyone likes. I've been running pretty consistently the past 4 years 20-30 mile weeks and looking to ramp up my mileage this fall.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm very keen to do it before I hit 30, although I do understand it will be a tough ask. I've done a couple of halves before so I'm hoping that puts me in the right direction.

I'm going to have to step up my long runs though. Let's see how it turns out......I'll keep you all posted.

Please feel free to add me as a 'friend' I need the support and motivation

Good Luck. I may just join you for the Napa Marathon.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too if you want. I ran my first marathon in May, have another at the end of September that I'm currently training for and then I've got Big Sur next April. If all goes well, perhaps I'll attempt a 50k next June - the jury is still out on that one, though!

Oh, and I'm 39, started running when I was 37 - so all hope is not lost if you don't get it done before you turn 30. :-)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    You can add me if you would like, I am always looking for new running buddies. As for advice, the best I can say is pick a race and pick a training schedule and STICK TO IT! I'm currently training for my first marathon which is in October. I have run 4 halves and will be running 2 more in September as training runs.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new running pals, I'm on dailymile.com as "The_Geb" and on here. I ran my first marathon in Fall 2011, 2 more in 2012 and I've done 3 so far this year (planning for a 4th in December). I'm currently in progress of dropping 30lbs to get down to a weight were I might BQ (I'm 30 so that'd be a 3:05:00 or faster marathon).
  • RunningActor
    Options
    When it comes to doing your first, pick a race in March or April of next year, pay for it ASAP (it's cheaper, and keeps you committed), and start working on building your mileage base (I tend to follow the +10% a week rule, with the occasional step back week for recovery (usually every 3rd or 4th week). When the time comes (18 weeks out) I'd strongly suggest using a training plan such as those on halhigdon.com to prepare you for race day.

Come race day, you have one goal... finish!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ... I've done 3 so far this year (planning for a 4th in December).

Was one of those races the Tacoma City Marathon this past May by chance?
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can definitely add me! I have a few half marathons under my belt and will be adding a couple more before my first marathon in October. I'm running the Nike Women's Marathon in SF. Then because I'm insane and wanted to help the charities running NYC marathon 2 weeks later.
  • RunningActor
    Options
    ... I've done 3 so far this year (planning for a 4th in December).

Was one of those races the Tacoma City Marathon this past May by chance?
    Yes it was! We ran together with the 3:40 pacer (Terry I think), right?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can definitely add me! I have a few half marathons under my belt and will be adding a couple more before my first marathon in October. I'm running the Nike Women's Marathon in SF. Then because I'm insane and wanted to help the charities running NYC marathon 2 weeks later.

Hey - congrats on getting into that race! Enjoy your "medal" from Tiffany at the end :-). I have some friends doing that race, but I've already got plenty on my racing schedule at that time of year so I didn't enter the lottery.