bIRTH CONTROL AND iNSULIN RESISTANCE

Options
Has anyone's doctor mentioned any studies regarding this? Before I was diagnosed, I was eating carbs, excerising and losing weight (slowly, but maybe about 15 pounds in 4 months). Then diagnosed, started taking metformin, synthroid and BC to control my cycles so we know when to give me my injections for fertility.
Well, since March, I have put on about 35 pounds. Around the time I started on all of this medication. Still excersing, but on a Low carb diet. I have tried to express my concerns and the answer I woul get is "well, if you would stop eating carbs, you wouldn't be gaining weight". I was only eating about 30 carbs a day verses over 200 before I started seeing the Infertility dr. It kind of upsets me..
So, went to the net and found some studies concerning BCP's and how they can raise insulin in women with PCOS. I even printed out a couple to bring to my dr just so he can see I have done my research. Any one have a similar experience? I don't want to think I am alone in this :(. Thank you!!

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    AGH, birth control! My advice? Switch doctors. Any doctor that throws birth control pills at PCOS doesn't know anything about it. You should search for a reproductive endocrinologist, they will have more experience with women with PCOS trying to conceive.

I felt absolutely horrible on birth control. I didn't gain weight, but I wasn't able to lose any either. I was pissed off ALL. THE. TIME. For no reason at all. My sex drive plummeted and my acne was out of control. I've been off it for about a year and a half now, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. My moods have improved, my sex drive is back, I've been losing weight and have been able to control my acne better. I'm finding I have much more success controling my symptoms with exercise, diet, and herbal supplements.

I would seriously think about weening off the BC. An extra 35 pounds and high insulin levels will not be good if you do get pregnant.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank for your response. Believe it or not I am seeing a reproductive doc. But I have even seriously considering asking my PCM if there is another dr. Tricare will cover. I have never had this much trouble losing weight, much less gaining it so quickly. I stopped taking my pills yesterday to see how I feel.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, and you need to be on a very low dose estrogen as your body does not create hormones the way most women's bodies do. If the doc doesnt understand this you need to get a new one.
  • msaucie
    msaucie Posts: 4
    Options
    My thoughts are with you as you discern your next doctor's appointment.

When I got on birth control at 18 in an attempt to control my heavy periods, I wish that my doctor had recognized PCOS symptoms in me. I wonder if I had known at 18 then maybe I would have been more careful about my diet and be mindful of strategies to deal with insulin resistance. Unfortunately, I never knew that the birth control was covering up a serious issue.

I wish more women and doctors understood PCOS so that it wouldn't be an uphill battle (especially when you're ready to have a child).
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank for your response. Believe it or not I am seeing a reproductive doc. But I have even seriously considering asking my PCM if there is another dr. Tricare will cover. I have never had this much trouble losing weight, much less gaining it so quickly. I stopped taking my pills yesterday to see how I feel.

You need an endocrinologist. PCOS is not something most doctors know how to deal with, endocrinologists do because it is a disorder of the endrocine system, not the reproductive (even though it does affect reproductive funtions)

And don't go cold turkey off the BC! You need to ween yourself off or your body will go haywire! Start by taking a half pill, or one pill every other day for a couple of weeks, then just cut it down more and more.