Etiquette question - putting away equipment

Options
momof2osaurus
momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
Post-WOD, is it considered nice or vaguely insulting to put someone's equipment away for them? Every time someone does it for me, I'm grateful, but I'm also way low on the totem pole of CF ability.

Replies

• littlelawson83
    Options
    We put away our own and if we're done and someone isn't yet (mainly cos they have huge weights), we help! literally never considered it insulting, I thought it is helpful!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    At my gym we kind of just put it all away together. People stacking bumpers or wiping bars is not uncommon no matter whose they are, I think it's really nice and is just one more aspect of the awesome community.

The only thing I think is a huge no no is putting your equipment away before everyone is done, in my opinion that's kind of rude and not at all what crossfit is about!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it as the least bit insulting, just being helpful. Up until last week I was the only person there in the afternoons, so I was working out with just the coach. Now there's someone else with me but I usually have to leave long before he's done. I hope nobody considers it insulting or rude that I put my stuff away while he's doing his thing. :embarassed:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Post-WOD, is it considered nice or vaguely insulting to put someone's equipment away for them? Every time someone does it for me, I'm grateful, but I'm also way low on the totem pole of CF ability.

Pay it Forward. We did a killer workout last Monday and I was the last one to finish and was on the floor for about 3 minutes catching my breath afterwards. My bar and weights were gone when I got up.

We did a hard workout last night that gassed me but not quite like that, so I helped put away some weights for the guys who were trying to catch their breath. It all works out in the end.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ok, cool. Sometimes I feel like I've entered a lost tribe and don't know the rules. :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I usually help, but if it's someone who habitually "forgets" to put away their equipment, I won't do it and then secretly enjoy the 100 burpee penalty they get.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    As long as they wait until you're done using it, seems like a nice gesture. :)

acc.gif
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    At my gym we kind of just put it all away together. People stacking bumpers or wiping bars is not uncommon no matter whose they are, I think it's really nice and is just one more aspect of the awesome community.

The only thing I think is a huge no no is putting your equipment away before everyone is done, in my opinion that's kind of rude and not at all what crossfit is about!

Yep, this is how we are here too.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For the most part everyone takes care of putting their own weights and equipment away, but helping out and putting someone elses stuff away is not uncommon either. Especially if we're behind schedule for that day and need to move on, or if the last people are finishing their WOD, others might help put their stuff away while they recover. No one seems to mind the help. But everyone is individually responsible for wiping down their equipment and area if it's sweaty. I know I won't help out there!
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options

Honestly, I've probably done this and never thought of it potentially being construed as rude. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll be conscious of this going forward.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Yes and no. If I have somewhere to be and really don't have time to wait for the whole class to finish, I set up on the outside of the group so that I don't get in anyone's way and am very discreet about putting away my equipment should I finish before anyone else. But if I don't have to rush out, should I finish early, I leave my stuff and cheer someone on until everyone is done and then we all put stuff away together. There's a fine line between showing off and "I really worked hard to work in a WOD today, but I have to rush out because I really had to squeeze it into my schedule a little bit more than I should". But as long as I have been at my gym, people know to recognize the difference with me and they know it's not out of disrespect towards them.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @ Cmay- Yeah I totally get that occasion where life gets in the way and you have to rush out to another committment. I was referring to the other scenario when people put their stuff away and literally just stand there not encouraging the people still working :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's like a family, we all help each other out. Especially the big boys who pull 400+ on Deads LOL. they need help re-stacking all those plates.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So when somebody is finished with their wod its time to encourage the others, just when everybody is done we start putting the gear away, but yea then it doesn't matter whose stuff it is, grab what you see. ;)