Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ravenous and running

yogajess11
yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
Hey guys- I'm training for a Fall marathon, trying to shed a few pounds at the same time, and I'm at the point in my training where Im running about 30-35 miles a week. I noticed a big change in the last week or so in that I'm becoming STARVING all the time...And no, Im not cutting a ton of calories, mostly just trying not to eat back all the extra calories I'm burning running. Id love to just go for a run whenever Im feeling the hunger pains, but most of the time its at 3PM and Im trapped at my desk job. Any one else in the same boat? Any good coping mechanisms?

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    It happens, but for me it's kind of random. Sometimes my appetite is the size of a pea, sometimes I'm scary ravenous. How's your fiber, protein and fat intake. Sometimes increasing that can help.
  • yogajess11
    Good point, right now MFP tells me Im at a 50% carb, 25/25 fat protein for the week. My fiber intake is also decent too, I'm at more than half my goal for the week. Maybe I need more protein?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    It's possible, but I've had times where I'm ravenous even when I meet my macros. Although the thing that always seems to wig me out is when I can barely eat ion the days I run, but become ravenous on my rest days.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Yes. Ravenous is a good word for it. I try and find the lowest calorie foods I can and stuff my face. For example I'll have a huge side of broccoli with whatever I'm having for dinner. I snack on watermelon through the day to keep me feeling full. Mostly fruits and veggies. And with protein a little goes a long way, a half cup of cottage cheese or greek yogurt doesn't have too many calories but is very filling. And drink tons of water.
  • yogajess11
    Good ideas, I think I need to keep some greek yogurt at work! It is so filling and low cal. I also think its my body adjusting to getting into the higher mileage, too. If I think its bad now though, ugh, its going to be much worse when I get to the 20 miler long run weeks! And I know what you mean about the day after a long run, those are the worst! The day of all I want to do is shower and go to bed. But the next day, watch out! I can out eat my husband by double! :(
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    I go through this every year. Very frustrating, esp when you are trying to keep the weight down. The fat and fiber has worked pretty well. I found that chia pudding is pretty satisfying and tastes alot like tapioca. I also down a chocolate milk in the first thirty minutes after i stop. Slimfast also works well as it has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio also. Then about an hour and a half later i eat a regular 4:1 breakfast. That has seemed to help both with recovery and keeping the hunger down. The rest of the day is veggies, apples, cottage cheese or yogurt. I usually net my goal on those days but i dont go over. After that day i am good. You may want to get some help from a sorts nutritionist. Thats what i did. So far it has paid off well.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I upped mine from 2100 to 2500. It's been about 2 weeks, I'm not hungry, I haven't gained an ounce, and I feel pretty darn good.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Chicken is a lousy house pet, but it cures these ravenous rushes. I will keep pushing this but unsalted butter in a coffee is just the fix for me. Levels the hunger and keeps me alert. I have also been trying some sort of natural fat like peanut butter on a bagel trying to mix in some more fibers too.
  • yogajess11
    Seriously? Unsalted butter in your coffee? Actually, it almost sounds like how my yoga teacher tells me I should be eating ghee or clarified butter. This seriosuly helps with the cravings? I think I already get enough fat in my diet, I eat WAY too much cheese, and would be a little worried to overdo it in the fat macro.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Haha I actually think increasing fat helps me a lot to reduce hunger from increased exercise. However, I can't imagine butter in coffee!! I would eat more avocados, nuts, nut butters, lentils, beans, olive oil, etc. (healthy fats).
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    I know the feeling you're talking about! Thankfully, I've only felt that way after running a few times and it was more in the beginning when I first started upping my distance. I can't really pinpoint why. I can only think of one change I made. Now, I always make sure to eat a good amount of protein after running. I was a vegetarian for 9 years. I eat some meat, but I also incorporate a lot of legumes. Come to think of it legumes are great because the give you a good dose of fiber as well as protein.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Haha I actually think increasing fat helps me a lot to reduce hunger from increased exercise. However, I can't imagine butter in coffee!! I would eat more avocados, nuts, nut butters, lentils, beans, olive oil, etc. (healthy fats).

You don't actually taste it. I've done it on long run days, and I do think it helps.