Music challenge. Week of August 11th

Options
Gabrielm80
Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
Some albums are short and sweet, but some are epic and long. Do you have an album that you can hear cover to cover? Is it a nice length? If you struggle with cardio at the 30 minute mark pick a 45 minute album, if your trying for a full hour, pick a longer album. Don't stop until the music stops. It's musical chairs with your cardio. You don't sit down until the music stops. Be sure to remain safe and stop if you incounter anything dangerous. If you are a side a only kind of person I guess mix tapes would do, but there are so many complete albums in world pick one and kill it

Replies

• BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ha I just created a running playlist it's 45 mins long. And I try to run to the end almost did it yesterday. Almost:-)
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have several albums that I can do this with - but I don't generally listen to full albums when working unless I forget to charge my Sansa... A few of my favorite albums to listen to start to finish that might fit this bill:

3OH!3 - Streets of Gold
    VNV Nation - Praise the Fallen
    KMFDM - Blitz, Attak, Nihil, Tohuvabahu
    Angelspit - Blood, Death and Ivory, Carbon Beauty
    Deadmau5 - >album title goes here<
    Ministry - Psalm 69, Cover Up
    iVardensphere - Scatterface v2
    Faderhead - Black Friday
    The Cruxshadows - As the Dark Against My Halo
    Nero - Welcome Reality
    Steve Aoki - Wonderland
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
    My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
    Wumpscut - F***kit, Siamese
    Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike
    Mindless Self Indulgence - How I Learned to Stop Giving A S**t and Love Mindless Self Indulgence

Well, I could probably go on for hours... and I listen to a random collection of really insane stuff. :D
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    I had been doing popular music but going to go real old school.... Igor Stravinski rite of spring and symphony in three movements. Total time 53:14
  • couchp0tato
    Options
    The one album I managed to listen to track to track one night was La Dispute's Wildlife because it was loosely conceptual and hard enough to keep me motivated and focused on kicking *kitten* at cardio. That was also the night I went the longest that I ever did on the elliptical (one full hour!) so that was pretty awesome.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    I guess I have to wait I used up all my gym time in Pilates today which after I did the class my wife told me its a women's only class. I told her not to rain on my parade. They accepted my manly yoga farts and hairy hobbit feet just fine
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have an album that gets me going from beginning to end. None that come to mind anyway. For cardio, I have to have a mix of things, it helps keep me focused easier. I need something fast paced and intense from beginning to end, without it sounding like the same song over and over again.
  • Mainosaur
    Mainosaur Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can listen to one song for hours. I'm a freak like that... it's awful but "Tokyo Drift" by the Teriyaki Boys make me want to run ._.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Songza???
    It is similar to Pandora or Spotify - but there are playlists already made by other listeners - they have workout playlists in all genres - I love it!!!
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    I had heard of it but don't use it is songza free?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Full albums that I can think of off the top of my head:
    "Lateralus" & "Ænima" by Tool
    "Moving Pictures" by Rush
    "OK Computer" by Radiohead
    "Metropolis Pt. 2" by Dream Theater
    "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd
    "De-loused in the Comatorium" by The Mars Volta

But you can also listen to massively long songs:
    "Cassandra Gemini" by The Mars Volta (+30 minutes)
    "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater (~25 minutes)
    "Octavarium" by Dream Theater (~25 minutes)
  • Gabrielm80
    Options

All your suggestions are awesome. When I use to be @ a golds gym years back I would jam The mars Volta album, frances the mute. Bought it because the station would Jam, the widow which has this almost 1970's rock feel to it. Was stunned when I bought the album and none of the rest of the album matched that song. Only took a second listen to appreciate that album, but I don't know if I will truly ever understand it entirely. The mars Volta are considered a local band here, but have yet to see them live. The frequent Austin's 6th street enough, so I have no excuse

And your radiohead suggestion is right on. When I use radio head though, I tend to throw 2+2=5 near the middle push of my work out though. Their live albums are usually good to pace through too
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

All your suggestions are awesome. When I use to be @ a golds gym years back I would jam The mars Volta album, frances the mute. Bought it because the station would Jam, the widow which has this almost 1970's rock feel to it. Was stunned when I bought the album and none of the rest of the album matched that song. Only took a second listen to appreciate that album, but I don't know if I will truly ever understand it entirely. The mars Volta are considered a local band here, but have yet to see them live. The frequent Austin's 6th street enough, so I have no excuse

And your radiohead suggestion is right on. When I use radio head though, I tend to throw 2+2=5 near the middle push of my work out though. Their live albums are usually good to pace through too

Frances the Mute is a tough album to listen to from beginning to end because of all the extended sound effects that append most of the songs. I actually found a fan-edited version of the album online that makes it, for me, the best album they have written. It includes the extra track, Frances the Mute, which is excellent and was supposed to open the album. It was instead released as a B-side on The Widow single, which was a mistake. Cassandra Gemini shouldn't have been split into separate tracks either, and the edited version has the complete song as one track, although it edits a bit of the jazzy section towards the end of it. Overall, listening to the edited version is like night and day compared to the original.

Btw, Radiohead is one of my top five favorite bands, especially live. In Rainbows is one of the most magical albums I've heard in recent times. Hail to the Thief was the soundtrack to my senior year in college!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had heard of it but don't use it is songza free?

yes songza is free! they have great cardio playlists