30DS--How heavy are your dumbells?

Options
cassienoe
cassienoe Posts: 126 Member
Curious as to how heavy everyone is lifting. I don't feel much resistance with 5 lbs so I'm going to try 10 lbs tonight. My boyfriend suggested 15-20 lbs for more definition. I'm just not sure I can keep up with the pace using that much weight. Thoughts?

Replies

• mrshallewell
    Options
    im using 3.3lbs and they are murder on my arms. i upped it from 2.2lbs after day 10 of 30ds but i suppose it depends on if ur using them with this or lifting in general.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I only have access to 2kg (4.4lbs) dumbbells at home, so that's what I'm using. They're killing me.
  • cassienoe
    Options
    A few years ago when we had a gym membership I would lift weights with my boyfriend. We did dumbells and chest press (I think is what it's called) so I am thinking I still have some strength from that.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I think you have. I know I have some strength left over from when I did a little bit of proper weight lifting.
    Before the weights I couldn't do a push up to save my life, when I stopped (because I'm lazy) I could do about 2 full push ups. When I started this I could get through one section of them (the easy style). So something has stayed with me and why I want to get back to weight lifting after this.
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I'm the wimp here! That's alright, no shame here for me ;)

I started with water bottles, moved up to 1 lb walking weights and then up to 3 lb dumbbells and I'm comfortable here for now.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use 3's :)
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use 5's but sometimes have to drop one to keep going (side lunges/anterior raises, anyone?). I would say use whatever works you out the best without injuring yourself. Best of luck :)
  • frogface
    frogface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use 3Kg (6.61lb)... now that I've converted that to pounds it sounds a lot (we tend to work in Kg in the UK).

I find the arms OK, EXCEPT the side lung with the shoulder raise.... after half a set I have to alternate arms else I would fall over!!
  • bluesmoosh
    Options
    Wow now I feel like a total weakling haha. I use two pounds, although admittedly they aren't heavy enough, especially for the row and the chest flies. I should probably move up to 4 pounds.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I'm the wimp here! That's alright, no shame here for me ;)

I started with water bottles, moved up to 1 lb walking weights and then up to 3 lb dumbbells and I'm comfortable here for now.

No shame, you're not alone. I just started 30DS yesterday and I'm using filled metal water bottles - they're about 1lb each. I could probably go heavier, but I don't want to overdo it out the gate.
  • msmariimac
    msmariimac Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My first time doing 30DS I used 3lbs and it burned. Now I'm up to 5lbs and feeling comfortable. I've been trying to switch to 10lbs for some of the easier moves like chest press.
  • cassienoe
    Options
    I use 3Kg (6.61lb)... now that I've converted that to pounds it sounds a lot (we tend to work in Kg in the UK).

I find the arms OK, EXCEPT the side lung with the shoulder raise.... after half a set I have to alternate arms else I would fall over!!

I have to drop down for the shoulder raise and also whatever is the last strength move in circuit 3 of level 2. That one is just as horrible!!!!!!

Did 10 for just about everything last night. Thought I was going to die. It was awesome :) I admit I am envious of the women that have muscular arms (without looking like body builders)
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1.5 kg (3.3lbs) I think

It kills me, I can't see me being able to lift heavier
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i use 1 lb weights for one of the moves and 3 lb for most of the other. i use both together for chest flys (i think thats what she called them) i would like some 4 and 5 lb weights as i can use different amounts for different moves and would like to challenge myself for each one
  • pennystextiles
    pennystextiles Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    3kg or 6.6lbs
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm using 3lb ones right now...it's all I can do to keep them up with the lunge/anterior raise move.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I use 5lb. for the harder moves like anterior raises, and have moved up to 8lbs. for chest flyes, dumbbell rows, and one set of the shoulder presses.
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Good grief ladies...are you all hulks? 8lb...10lbs?? LOL.... I can barely manage my 3lbs! But I suppose one day I will needing to lift heavier too. But damn, ladies you're just killing it! Proud to be a part of this group!
  • mrshallewell
    Options

I have to drop down for the shoulder raise and also whatever is the last strength move in circuit 3 of level 2. That one is just as horrible!!!!!!

Did 10 for just about everything last night. Thought I was going to die. It was awesome :) I admit I am envious of the women that have muscular arms (without looking like body builders)

OMG the chair squat with a v raise, when she says at the very last ab move that "this is the killer" im thinking "NO THIS IS PISS EASY COMPARED TO THOSE" when people say they swear at jillian i can now see why
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

ah yes the squat with the v fly/lift=shoulder murder!