Carseat for huge 6 month old

Options
My son is almost too big for his Chicco Keyfit 30, and he's only 6.5 months old. I struggle to even carry him in it anymore as the combination of him and the carseat is awkward, bulky, and heavy, but getting him out of the carseat while it's in the car is awkward also. I'm looking for a lightweight convertible (rear facing to front facing) carseat (one that doesn't have a base) that is compact and easy to get the baby in and out of.

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas or recommendations.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have the Britax Boulevard 70 CS, which was replaced by the Boulevard 70 G3 (what I will buy for the baby in a couple of months when he's too heavy to carry around in the infant carrier). It's not exactly compact when rear-facing, but no car seat really is. They take up much less space when turned around. The Boulevard fit rear-facing in the middle of our 2005 Honda Accord, 2011 Honda Odyssey, and 2012 Honda Civic in case anyone has comparably-sized cars. It was tight even in the Odyssey, though. I've checked into other brands, and people who compare them to Britax often say that they take up even more space than Britax!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I have the Britax Boulevard 70 CS, which was replaced by the Boulevard 70 G3 (what I will buy for the baby in a couple of months when he's too heavy to carry around in the infant carrier). It's not exactly compact when rear-facing, but no car seat really is. They take up much less space when turned around. The Boulevard fit rear-facing in the middle of our 2005 Honda Accord, 2011 Honda Odyssey, and 2012 Honda Civic in case anyone has comparably-sized cars. It was tight even in the Odyssey, though. I've checked into other brands, and people who compare them to Britax often say that they take up even more space than Britax!

My husband drives a 2-door acura with a tiny back seat. The infant carrier fits but just barely back there, and we need something that will stay rear-facing but not take much more room than the infant carrier for his car. I have a big SUV so the other convertible we got will fit mine just fine.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    We're currently researching car seats as Rose is almost outgrown her infant seat. Front runners so far are the Diono brand, and the Clek (I know for sure Clek is Canadian and likely not available in the US, not sure about Diono). Both are rear to forward, and have great ratings. The Diono is too big to rear-face in our Civic, so we're having the debate about going with the Clek, which can rear-face, or do we get a bigger vehicle now (about a year or so earlier than planned) so we can go with the Diono as it is our top pick.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

My husband drives a 2-door acura with a tiny back seat. The infant carrier fits but just barely back there, and we need something that will stay rear-facing but not take much more room than the infant carrier for his car. I have a big SUV so the other convertible we got will fit mine just fine.

The Britax Boulevard takes up about the same amount of space as our infant carrier+base, which is the Graco SnugRide 35. Not sure how that compares size-wise to the Chicco one you have. When we still had the Civic (coupe), my husband could t quite have his seat as far back as he wanted. He wasn't squished, though. I think any seat is going to be a tough fit in a smallish coupe. My husband couldn't wait for him to be forward-facing!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

The Britax Boulevard takes up about the same amount of space as our infant carrier+base, which is the Graco SnugRide 35. Not sure how that compares size-wise to the Chicco one you have. When we still had the Civic (coupe), my husband could t quite have his seat as far back as he wanted. He wasn't squished, though. I think any seat is going to be a tough fit in a smallish coupe. My husband couldn't wait for him to be forward-facing!

Tim seems to be able to carry him around still okay in the infant seat, so I might take the huge convertible one we have and put it in my SUV and just hope he doesn't outgrow the infant carrier by too much until he's able to sit front-facing. I should have plenty of space for it in there.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    We have the peg pergo, which I mostly got because it's more compact and it goes rear facing until 45lbs. I also have a big guy, I put Miles in it around 6 months, because he outgrew ours, which was only up to 22lbs. Even though it is compact it has to recline all the way in rear facing so the passenger seat is a little tight, but I've heard that's typical for most. Maybe try to find one that would fit in the middle between the seats.
  • LUreda
    LUreda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! My 6.5mo old's feet hang over the edge of the infant seat & the straps are lower than her shoulders, so it's time to get a bigger one. Both of our cars barely fit the infant seat, so we are looking for something smaller in scale, but that fits our baby.
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    We had the same problem with my son so we switched at around 6 months from the Chicco KeyFit to their new convertible seat Chicco NextFit. We use it in our Ford F150 and my commuter Honda Accord with no problems. Most convertible seats are bulky so the best thing to do is go down to your local baby store and try them in your car. Good luck! =)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have been shopping around for one too and as far as one that is compact I have yet to find one. They all look pretty big especially rear facing. When my son was a baby they could sit forward at a year old so it didn't have to be rear facing for very long thank god, but I was just informed at least where we live they have to stay rear facing until 2 years old or 40lbs. My daughter is on the small side for weight so I will most likely have to go by age. Some of the carseats I found that weren't large were very tall in height. Can't remember what we used for our son since it was 9 years ago, but at the time I had a two door cavalier and I remember it not being that bulky when I went from an infant carrier to a car seat and we bought his at Walmart.
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd still go by weight. That's what counts as far as safety goes.
    I wish I had a recommendation but the convertible we have for our son is a beast. I'll be looking for a more compact one that rear faces as long as possible for my newest.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This is the carseat we got, the Graco Head Wise 70.

http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=1843040#sthash.UNlUsrfg.dpbs

It had really great reviews and is one of the ones that stays rear facing the longest, which is what we were looking for. It fits in my Volvo Station wagon, but I'm not sure about an Acura. We're going to be looking for a smaller car for me, so we'll just have to find one that fits the car seat. How's that for a bit backwards??! :) I just love how adjustable the car seat is and how very easy it is to get in and out of the car.

New safety information shows that it is *much* safer to keep baby rear facing as long as the carseat allows, so we will keep Devon rear facing until he outgrows this car seat in the rear position, I think 40 pounds. He might have legs that are squished in, but at least he will have less chance of being killed in an accident. Broken legs>dead baby.

Off my soap box, I completely second going to a store and trying them in your car.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I still had my coupe, we were looking into a Combi Coccoro Convertible Car Seat for our little one. It maxes out at 40" and 40 lbs and is under $200.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention. When I put the car seat behind the passenger, it is a bit tight for someone to sit up there, but it _does_ fit in the middle, so if I have a long legged person riding with me, I just move him into the middle. And since the car seat is soo flipping easy to move, it takes about 10 seconds. Love it!!
  • edowns88
    edowns88 Posts: 15
    Options
    Diono Radian won for us! It's awesome and will allow my giant tall kid to sit backward for a long time!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just got the Graco Head Wise 70 today.....my 3 month old already weighs 19 pounds but is also very long for his age (27+ inches).....I needed something that still offers enough support and can be rear facing for a while. He was getting so uncomfortable in his infant carrier and I could no longer adjust the straps...the weight limit was only 22 lbs. This seat seams very sturdy, has enough cushion but is also more compact than some of the other stage 2 seats.