Competitions

Options
So has anyone on here done a Crossfit Competition before (besides the Open)? I'm doing my first competition a week from tomorrow that includes 3 WODs in one day (with a potential 4th if I do well enough in the first three - which I'm not counting on).

I've been doing Crossfit for over a year now and have a background in running races, adventure races, and triathlons. With that said, I'm still pretty nervous about how I'm going to do. Goal is to finish without injury and not come in last place in any WOD.

Any words of wisdom from those that have done a multi-WOD competition? I've read all that I can find on what to bring, how to prep, etc. I think I'm ready so we shall see.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Will be a year or two before I'm ready for that, but it is definitely a goal of mine.

My box has three teams participating in this one on Sunday, I'm going to watch some of it.

http://www.thegaragegames.com/mass-mayhem-2013/?utm_source=Northeast_050413&utm_campaign=Northeast+April&utm_medium=email
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I got nothing as I'm pretty sure a competition would kill me, but GOOD LUCK!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Check out my link to see the 4 (FOUR) WODS the teams will be doing that day.

My guess would be it's all about pacing. You really don't want to come out bombing with all you have on the first WOD and gas yourself for the last one.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I competed in the World Wide Wod Global aftermatch scaled division, just remember to pace your self there are a lot of wods. The last one will be killer if you know the wods, do them at your box and get an idea of what your time would be and if someone next to you is killing it don't try to match them, I made that mistake. Bring fruit jerky nuts maybe some protein powder, have water and even Gatorade isn't bad to drink on competition days. The main thing is have fun and just remember at the end of the day you finished a competition.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Competing for the first time next weekend. Have attended many local CF comps and they are all about FUN.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had just a little charity competition with the boxes in my area.
    There were 3heats, so we had to wait between the Wod. I think its important to make sure you stay warm, if its a cold day, you get to freeze quickly!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 3rd season doing the Capital Affiliate League (team comp, scaled division each season so far...). I did a scaled event individual and won, did a two person event scaled and had fun...I'm signed up to do SuperFit Rubicon Rx'ed (still wondering if that is a good life choice...)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Start doing multiple wods... just sayin practice like the competition is gonna be.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Start doing multiple wods... just sayin practice like the competition is gonna be.

Hoping to compete next year and I will definitely start doing that before competing.

Our box had four teams in a Garage Games competition this past Sunday. 4 WODS and then if you were one of top teams the finals was another one.

And one of the competitors was in class last night, though he did a pretty light load.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i did multi wod- multi day competition.... i however DIDNT practice the wods before, but practiced certain elements i knew were going to be included (double unders, run with wallball, unbroken push presses) as i didn't want to psych myself out.

there is a lot of energy on competition day... i did my 1st wod as normal (fasted state, at my normal workout time...) but drank protein shakes and ate bananas inbetween. also bring some PVC pipe, a yoga mat, a foam roller, and flip flops to throw on between the WODS... its super fun!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^Our teams were very focused on not coming out of the gate blasting and managing the adrenaline rush. Some individuals were not so focused and it showed. The first WOD was 50 calorie row, 25 front squats and 70 double unders.

One guy was doing the ugliest front squats I've ever seen. valgus caves on both knees, etc. IMO he should have been doing the scaled division not RX, since the squat weight was pretty close to his body weight (135 for men)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I went unlimited at my box and started doing multiple wods. I improved very fast. But you have to eat right to do that much.