PCOS and struggling every day

Options
diagnosed with pcos 10 years ago when I was sixteen. they told me I would never have kids. I have tried and tried to lose weight and be healthy but I don't see results and give up. im back at it and really want to succeed this time. my mother was never diagnosed but had the same symptoms as I do. what scares me the most is she died from ovarian cancer. I mirror her in every way. everything that was wrong with her is wrong with me. I want to control this and not let it control me. I desperately want to have kids. I have a 12 year old step son and he is my world but I want to have a child with my husband. I need help I don't have insurance and cant afford doctors to tell me what they already have: nothing. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be healthy and happy. im tired of this running my life

Replies

• myndikins
    Options
    I just joined this group, but I definitely feel your pain. PCOS is a pain and causes so many other issues, but I think the most frustrating thing is what my doctor -hasn't- told me. You can learn a lot by reading online for yourself and its really surprising.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in highschool, so maybe 5-7 years ago. In all that time, all of my doctors have just kinda ignored it and haven't focused on the issues that it causes. They were all male too, so I really think that had something to do with it. I recently started seeing a female doctor and she ties everything together (I'm hypothyroid and have insulin resistance as well). But there's all sorts of things that my other doctors never bothered to tell me. For instance, PCOS almost always causes you to be deficient in Vitamin D. Soy can cause hormonal issues...which is pretty much what PCOS is. All these years I've been drinking soy milk (I can't handle dairy well) and my other doctors applauded that. Now I'm finding out that it might have made my PCOS and thyroid even worse! 7 years I've been hurting myself because I didn't know any better and I never thought to google and educate myself.

The only medication, as far as I know, that is common for PCOS is metformin. Just from the little bit of researching I've been doing on my own, there are many natural alternatives out there that can help balance hormones. Maca Powder is one that I'm getting ready to try, but it can also affect thyroid function so I just have to have bloodwork done every few weeks to check. There are others, I'm sure. My new doctor has also had success referring women to a local chiropractor/naturopath. He prescribes different herbs and uses acupuncture and she told me that she's seen women get pregnant after years of trying everything conventional medicine had to offer. I'm saving up to get an appointment with him myself, but that might be something for you to look into too.

Hope I helped a little bit =]
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    Metformin helped me initially cut the major carb cravings. 2000mg ER version. I'm now years later on 1500mg and hoping to come off soon due to major progress with this beast, PCOS. I eat a small meal to avoid nausea. The ER version kept me from being especially nauseated, and I recommend the ER version to anyone that has digestive problems with Metformin. My mother switched to ER and stopped feeling so sick every day. She also noticed less carb craving, sugar, etc.

Spironolactone at 200mg has helped control hirsutism, bloating, and promoted hair regrowth on my scalp. When I came off of it, I noticed my hair growing a lot faster and new ones would pop up- no thank you. That was awhile ago, and I've since increased from 100mg to 200mg over the last few months, and the results are incredible. You have to drink a lot of water with it, but you should be doing that anyway.

I take Levothyroxine (Synthroid generic) for hypothyroidism.

Wellbutrin XL 300mg. As much as I didn't want this drug, and got off of it for awhile... long story short, this helped INSANELY well with my fatigue. Sometimes just because you don't think you feel sad doesn't mean you aren't depressed. I initially took this to help with general anxiety. When i got off of it and felt the crazy fatigue creep up a month later, it only got worse. A friend mentioned maybe I was depressed. And i thought huh. Maybe... Googled the symptoms and I had all of them, one of them being extreme fatigue and lack of motivation to do things. Always sore, to the point where it was the kind of fatigue you get when you have the flu, for example. Wellbutrin XL has been a miracle drug for me. I also take Clonazepam as needed, low dose at .5mg, and that's maybe a couple of times a week. Wellbutrin can cause anxiety/palpitations the first few days, as a surge of energy goes through you, quite different from feeling dead tired. So I would take the Clonazepam (Klonopin generic) to calm me down a bit. These two treatments combined have made a huge difference.

Food wise, I dropped all processed food, grains, sugar, gluten, refined oils and carbs, starches, legumes, and dairy. I feel ABSOLUTEY amazing. In 3 months, I lost 20 pounds. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED! I am absolutely stoked and believe this would be great for many PCOS cysters, but yes, of course it depends on the person. But I do NOT believe anyone needs ANY sugar in their diet. There's no point. And NO ONE needs to eat processed food. And many people are sensitive to gluten and dairy.. that being said, this has been my personal result. I can't stress it enough how worth it it is. I do NOT lose weight easy AT ALL. I never have. I've had PCOS for years and years. I was 185 lbs. and now I am 143 lbs. 30 lbs since last year, 20 in last few months. I was 185 lbs. in 2003. I struggled like hell to get to where I am. I don't think my journey and losing weight is any easier than it would be for anyone else. I just made it 100% priority. I love sugar as much as the next girl, believe me. But I did it. And I still occasionally eat something like a slice of pizza or some frozen yogurt. I never plan it, and I only do it once or twice a month. I don't crave sugar at all now. I crave nutrients. It's so weird.

Also, trust me, I am a huge believer in natural and organic way of living and do NOT like taking medications. But for now, that is what I am doing, and when I reach my goal weight, and I am in fit and in shape Jillian Michaels style, then I will likely be able to come off of my medications. I tried natural remedies, no luck. Shedding the pounds and working your *kitten* off by using the energy from an extremely healthy diet NO EXCEPTIONS is the best advice I can ever give anyone.

I hope this info helps in some way!! :):)
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber,

Don't listen to anyone who says you can't have kids, you just need to figure out what your body needs and get it back in balance. Some of it is genetic, but a lot is lifestyle and you can do a lot yourself without needing a dr. A friend of mine was always told she'd never have kids because her pcos was so severe and she'd never had a period (and had the bloodwork of an 80 year old woman apparently!). Anyhow she now has two naturally conceived kids, so anything is possible.

Have you tried slowly substituting foods for slightly healthier options? Cutting out milk really helps my skin, i think hormones in dairy really affect me. nut milks are lovely so that was an easy switch for me. Also there are some fairly cheap supplements that really helped me. Best for my skin is fish oils and upping my omega 3 with chia seeds. Klamath wild blue-green algae helps with everything, especially my mood if I'm going through a gloomy patch. Cinnamon for blood sugar, spearmint tea for hirsutism and vitex to try and rebalance. Licorice extract also works for me.

Good luck x
  • Geeznie713
    Options
    Hi Amber,

Welcome. I posted this in my "Hi I'm new to the group" post so please forgive if anyone has read it already butI wanted to share. I believe I have had PCOS since an early age or at least the hormonal aspect as I matured really quickly as a child, had facial hair since I can remember, extreme acne as a teen and young lady and never had regular periods. I did have my first son in 1998 and I think because I had been on birth control for a few years by then, which regulated my hormones and I guess continued doing so for a couple of months because two months after I discontinued them I became pregnant. I desperately wanted a second child and tried everything!!!! Fast forward 13 years, during which time I tried clomid, metformin, had two failed IVF attempts, a third one resulting in an ectopic pregnancy, which I had to have removed by c-section because it had lodged on my ovary. I basically threw in the towel because I realized I was killing myself trying to have a second baby. Things were going horribly wrong with hubby at the time too (he got someone else pregnant!) so I resolved to the fact that I would never have a second chance and I was probably extremely lucky to have the first beautiful boy, now teen. I focus on myself, lose a bunch of weight through diet and exercise, get rid of toxicity in my life (hubby). I am looking and feeling unreal at this time. Two weeks after separating from hubby I find out I am pregnant. What?!?!? We had some intense I wanna say make-up sex but we never made up but whatever. So here I am single 40 year old mom to fifteen year old and screaming 20 month old. I can't seem to lose more than two pounds since I had baby but never say never - to anything. Fertility doctor told me she has never had a case she couldn't fix except for mine. Imagine!!!! Point is - don't give up hope. It can happen. I really believe getting to your ideal weight will make a huge difference. Hope my story helps you feel encouraged. Please feel free to add me.