PCOS becoming cancer

Options
Geeky_Girl
Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
I had no idea I had PCOS. I'm 30, and always had irregular periods. I didn't have the typical PCOS symptoms, and didn't give my strange cycles much attention. Until a few weeks ago, which is why I'm posting.

I went to the obgyn and had a pelvic/pap. Everything came back fine. The dr said I should be on birth control to straighten my cycle (he never mentioned PCOS at this point). He scheduled me for a d&c and a hysterscopy to get a biopsy and to "jump start" my system.

Two weeks later I was told I had dedifferentiated endometrial cancer (part of which is due to the estrogen build up from the PCOS). I had an emergency radical hysterectomy (friend me and you can read all about this in my blog!).

A month ago I had an irregular cycle and never thought about cancer. Now I've been cancer free (thank The Lord!) for four weeks! I am 30 and menopausal though, lol!

Pap smears only screen for cervical cancer. There are no screening tests for endometrial cancer (which, per my oncologist, can be caused by PCOS). Pay close attention to your body and report ANY unusual symptoms as soon as possible. I wish you all the best!

Replies

• sheddingpounds83
    Options
    WOW I HAVE PCOS AND I HAVE HAD A REALLY ABNORMAL PERIOD THIS MONTH WHICH I NEVER HAVE DONE BEFORE BUT I THOUGHT MAYBE ITS WERE IVE LOST A FEW POUNDS BUT I HAVE A PAP SCHEDULED FOR MONDAY I DIDNT KNOW THAT IT COULD CAUSE CANCER THANKS FOR SHARING THIS I HOPE MINES OK
  • Geeky_Girl
    Options
    I had been bleeding almost everyday for a couple months. A Pap smear will not screen for uterine cancer (though it does screen for cervical cancer). A d&c with hysterscopy will tell you if you have uterine cancer. My only symptom was constant bleeding for 60 days (ish). My gyn didn't think I had anything wrong with me! He found the cancer by accident (good thing though)! I know PCOS doesn't cause cancer in everyone, but my oncologist said that due to the PCOS my hormone levels were crazy and the extra estrogen caused by endometrium to build a new layer each month but not shed like it's supposed to. The build eventually led to cancer.

I started my periods before the age of 12 (another risk factor for endometrial cancer) and I've never had children (another risk factor). Those on birth control are less likely to get it though :)

I just wanted to post my experience on here to hopefully help someone else.
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting Geeky. So important we all know these things. So glad your dr caught your cancer in time. Wishing you a long, healthy and cancer-free life.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I hope they were able to get all of the cancer cells and you have a speedy recovery. Thank you for giving up all a heads up. It makes sense though the body is meant to shed the lining every month, and with PCOS that stops.

Out of curiosity do you know if the birth control pills that women take for months on end to only menstruate a few times a year cause the same risk too, or is it strictly related to PCOS?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are going through this and praying for continued good health for you.
    Thank you for sharing with everyone.
    This is another reminder that it is NOT NORMAL to have irregular periods and bleeding. It might seem normal to us but it's not. I've always been a big proponent of going on medication if it's going to help bring ovulation and/or periods on for this reason exactly. Don't hesitate if you think there might be a problem.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I hope they were able to get all of the cancer cells and you have a speedy recovery. Thank you for giving up all a heads up. It makes sense though the body is meant to shed the lining every month, and with PCOS that stops.

Out of curiosity do you know if the birth control pills that women take for months on end to only menstruate a few times a year cause the same risk too, or is it strictly related to PCOS?

I missed this question the first time I posted. Before going off the pill to get pregnant, I was taking the pill continuously with no placebo week. The reason was that I get bad migraines during my period and also during the placebo week.
    My doctor told me that it is okay to take it continuously. I think it's because the pill prevents you from making a normal lining. I know especially on that pill my withdrawal bleed was like a day of spotting because I really didn't have much lining to shed. I think the problem with pcos is your body builds up more and more lining and then if you don't ovulate and so don't have a period, the lining just builds up.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You are a strong woman!!!! :) I'm 27 and had partial hysterectomy in June. feel free to add me if you'd like. Cancer is a scary word, I pray that they got all the cells and your recovery continues to go well. Remember one day at a time.
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting I had a d&c and was developing cancer cells as well luckily caught on time.This is very true!
  • Geeky_Girl
    Options
    One of the things my doctor said was that if I had been on the pill, to regulate my period, before it turned into cancer, then I probably would've just had the PCOS.

I no longer have ovaries, so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore! Lol

Irregular bleeding is a lot more serious than I'd thought. Always important to get it checked. I appreciate everyone's support! :)