What is your biggest challenge?

Options
2»

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    How many calories in Horse? ;-)

Depends. Arabian Horse? :P Italian Stallion, perhaps? ;)

You asked :tongue: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/5139
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How many calories in Horse? ;-)

Depends. Arabian Horse? :P Italian Stallion, perhaps? ;)

You asked :tongue: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/5139

Haha.. good one! But the only problem is that I am a vegetarian! :wink:
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    Haha.. good one! But the only problem is that I am a vegetarian! :wink:
    :tongue:
  • aditifoodie
    aditifoodie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Biggest challenge like many of us here is getting enough proteins. Yes lentils and beans have proteins but they are also calorie dense.

I do eat non-vegetarian food but my everyday diet is mostly vegetarian except eggs.

Also my challenge is eating out with friends, we always go to pubs where it is hard to say no to alcoholic drinks and unhealthy stuff like nachos and cheesy treats without being a bummer.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Yeah, protein consumption is a relative challenge for most of us (vegetarians who eat Indian food). I try tofu to quinoa to lentils. But I don't go overboard. I can't take too much of it.

I haven't tried egg though but wondering if I should. (No, there is no religious sentiment attached to it. I am just not used to it - plainly put.)

With respect to pub visits - well, you've to take that shot !! (was it pun intended? :P )
  • kendrafallon
    Options
    I would say that the reason a lot of Indians count eggs as non-vegetarian is because eggs have the potential for new life.

There are plenty of vegan websites out there, which while they do cut out dairy, do a great job of keeping protein levels high. One that I've found useful is http://blog.fatfreevegan.com The food measures are all American and some of the ingredients are had to find, but the recipes I've tried to date, have been very tasty.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Thanks Kendra. Will take a look at it later. :)

Yeah, that's true. Some believe in that concept but I came out of that school of thought a few years ago. Realized that we are all part of a greater chain. Anyway, that's immaterial now.
  • dkalita
    dkalita Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know dis thread was created months ago but still joining it nevertheless. For me the biggest challenge is not finding the space to jog, run or even go on long walks. I really wish I had access to a smooth, 'traffic and slow moving crowd' free road where I could walk for miles. Nowadays I walk halfway to my home from office. That is around 3.5 kms. I can't go for walks in d morning,its really impossible for me. (M like zombie in d morn).
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know dis thread was created months ago but still joining it nevertheless. For me the biggest challenge is not finding the space to jog, run or even go on long walks. I really wish I had access to a smooth, 'traffic and slow moving crowd' free road where I could walk for miles. Nowadays I walk halfway to my home from office. That is around 3.5 kms. I can't go for walks in d morning,its really impossible for me. (M like zombie in d morn).

Getting 3.5 kms in each day is good so keep that going - it all counts. Try to make it brisk to get the maximum benefit. If you can get to places at the weekend that allow you the space and distance to jog/walk etc then that is worth trying too.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree accurate reporting is a challenge and also that no-one makes a recipe the same twice. What has helped me a bit is that I use the "recipes" section of the food diary and as I am cooking I weigh everything before I toss it in the pot. I then update the recipe each time. This has its drawbacks, but it works for me. I find this has made my own cooking more consistent also.

tough part is when someone else does the cooking, especially restaurants. All restaurants (no matter the cuisine) use more fat, sugar, and especially salt than anyone would use at home. so although I try to estimate what's in the food and I ask for them hold the ghee etc - I still treat this as an occasional treat.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest challenge is counting the excact calories in my food.. I usually get an approx.. and try to stay under. and yeah carbs.. trying hard to replace the bad carbs with good carbs.. I am a bengali.. and I used to eat insane amount of rice.. nowadays.. I have started replacing it with atta roti.. and also even if I eat rice, I will go for half cup.. that is actually working.. still at times I give in to cravings..
  • 30lbstoloose
    30lbstoloose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge so far staying away from carbs and consuming more protein. since i am vegetarian i have grown up eating carbs rich foods. Today is my first day at MFP and am still trying to figure out what r my options for protein and good carbs. Since i live in US, i think the whole wheat atta i get from indian grocery is mixed with maida though it says 100% whole wheaton the label. i am thinking of replacing wheat roti with either bajra or jowar roti instead. i hope i stay motivated to make these rotis for myself and the regular kind for my kids and husband becoz i know they won't like the other option.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of you, I also struggle in figuring out how to eat healthy the 'desi' way.

Being from the south, I grew up eating a lot of rice. These days I eat the sambar as a big bowl of soup. I get my protein and healthy vegetables in that manner. So that satisfies me for a couple of hours. Then I eat a snack like nuts or fruit and I am good until the next meal.

I will have dahi with a sabji mixed in and that helps me get my protein, vegetables, and carbs, since dahi has carbs.

It takes a little while for the body to adjust to this and accept it as enough quantity. The plate needs to be filled half with vegetables, quarter is carbs, and quarter is protein.
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    To be patient in my weight loss journey! :D