Plantar faciitis

Options
Hi
I´m new here.
I was wondering if anyone in here had plantar faciitis? If so how do you exercise? I have been swimming, walking and using my stationary bike now and then and I´m in constant pain. One of my knees are bad so I can´t jump, do push ups or run.

Replies

• Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have had plantar faciitis on and off since 2005. I have always had problem with tendinitis and arthritis. I am focusing on building up the smaller muscles around ankles and knees before I try too much exercise. However, when I was doing physical therapy for the plantar faciitis, I warmed up my joints with a heating pad for a few minutes and then spent about 10-15 minutes on the stationary bike. After that, you should be warmed up enough to do what you want. When you are done, ice down your joints.
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had really bad Plantar Faciitis a few years ago. It was driving me nuts! I have fibromyalgia and when the PF was painful it would trigger a fibro flare up and I would me completely miserable the rest of the day (full body aches and feeling like I had a fever). I did the whole foot doctor thingy, had the custom fancy orthotics, went in for regular therapy, didn't seem to do much more me.

What seemed to help the most? NEVER DON'T WEAR SHOES! I am a bit of a clean freak and never where shoes in the house. So whenever I was home, I was barefoot or in socks. If I walked around the house (cleaning -- gotta be clean:-) without shoes on, I was miserable.

I had bought slippers, but they didn't provide enough support. So I bought a new pair of cross trainer shoes that I only wore around the house. After a couple months, voila! I stopped getting PF pain! Hooray! But I found shoes with laces were a bit annoying to put on and off as I got out of bed, shower, or switched to outdoor shoes before leaving. So I found these Crocs that are basically slippers and are very comfortable and dont really look like Crocs (I never liked the originals much):

http://amzn.com/B004J2JPT2

This was the best investment I have made for my PF,

1. Minimize the time you are not wearing shoes. I am only shoeless in the shower or the pool.
    2. Find a good pair of supportive shoes to wear around the house. Cross trainers, crocs, or otherwise.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    Ditto on the shoes for me too! I have my crocs next to my bed so if I get up to pee at night, I slip them on. The other BEST THING is stretches. They are specific for PF and I found them to help a LOT! Also, a tennis ball. Put it under your foot and roll it around to stretch out the ligaments. Stretches, always wear shoes, and tennis ball did the trick for me.

It sort of comes and goes so don't be surprised if it leaves and comes back! i call them flares and I had at least 3 of them. It is the most god awful pain!!!!!!! Once it lasted 7 months but finally it was gone. I'm sorry you have it too.

Main thing is do whatever your foot needs and not what the rest of your body wants to do.... like jumping or running. I lost 46 pounds not doing much exercise at all due to chronic pain. I'm sure you can too. Be gentle with your sore foot. Treat it like the injured little foot it is and it will heal up sooner rather than later.

Good luck!
  • AubGrace
    AubGrace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new too, and I'm glad I found this group. I struggle with plantar fasciitis among other things. I can no longer go bare foot, and I live in my Birkenstocks and New Balance shoes. But, all of that has made my mobility bearable. It did take some time. Now I can walk at a moderate pace, and I'm going to try out Zumba next.
  • qofdisks
    qofdisks Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Always stretch your feet before getting out of bed or even getting up after sitting awhile. Stop and flex feet before climbing out of the car. Move the feet as slowly as possible, don't just pop them around. Back and forth, flex the toes and side to side as well. It they hurt, you are doing damage. If you injure, stay off the foot as much as possible.
    Orthodics are good even in your slippers.
  • Jaxie1231
    Jaxie1231 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a very extreme case of this. It was because my feet were becoming flat. I had orthotics and still had a lot of pain. I tried swimming, using the elliptical and walking. My case was very severe and was continuing to get worse, I couldn't even wear anything but high tops to support my ankles so I ended up getting implants in my ankles. Again, extreme case. Orthotics should help out a lot. Oh and definitely stretching the calves makes a HUGE difference, I still do it now.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Doctor said PF is also called flip-flop disease. I wear flip-flops all the time, for the cushioning. So I'm bad. But they're so easy to slip on and better than going barefoot. I keep a pair everywhere our home floors transition from padded carpet to wood or, even worse, tile.

For going out, I have cushion inserts in my shoes (Dr. Sholls or the CVS custom-fitted brand (expensive!)) and have very good, cushioned walking shoes. At work I give in and wear pumps with my dresses; but it hurts. [I know... But it's not vanity, it's "being professional" and dealing with cultural perspectives.]
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching with the foot to help with my PF. I only do a few stretches several times a day, but it seems to really be helping. I also a bought a good qualify pair of shoes with proper support so that when I'm outside, I will wear those.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02897
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had what I & my doctor thought was PF for years. Then when I hurt my back in a fall I went to a chiropractor for an adjustment. Voila! my PF no longer existed once my hips were put back into alignment. I have a chronic Sacroiliac problem which caused the PF symptoms. With walking and strength training I have been able to avoid this issue for 8.5 months. When my foot starts hurting it is a sure sign my SI joint is out and it is back to the chiro I go. It is the only relief I can get from the pain.
    I suggest this to anyone who has PF to try instead of painful shots.
  • hfitpal
    hfitpal Posts: 14
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked. Long story.
    ICE.
    Physical therapy to strengthen leg and hip muscles, and adjust your stride.
    Massage. My calf was messed up.
    Therapy roller. on the floor. prepare for agony. It gets better.
    Relax a bit. Weight loss is primarily calorie reduction, so if you can't work out you can cut down calories
    I wore shoes from the moment I was out of bed till I got back in, except the shower for a year. I hate shoes. But I hated the pain in both feet more.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching with the foot to help with my PF. I only do a few stretches several times a day, but it seems to really be helping. I also a bought a good qualify pair of shoes with proper support so that when I'm outside, I will wear those.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02897

What kind of stretches do you do? I got a kink in my foot while walking today and didn't know how to make it go away. Should have stretched feet before walking, but don't know what kind would work best.

Thanks.
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    You can also tape your foot/feet for PF. Just google, "taping for plantars faciitis". KT Tape is one brand but my son actually uses any tape he can find: medical tape, hockey tape, packing tape. LOL