Phentermine, Motivation, and Caffeine??

Options
amoreslove
amoreslove Posts: 15 Member
Hi all! I'm new to the group. I've been taking phentermine for 1 month, taking half a pill a day, skipping about two days a week. I heard that helps to keep your body from getting used to it. My goal when I started was to lose about 30 lbs. I've lost 10 lbs so far, although I can't really see a difference, which is kind of discouraging. Even measurements don't really show a decrease, so I'm assuming the weight is coming off of areas other than my waist, hips, and thighs. I'm starting to lose motivation. The last week was really difficult for me. I went way over my calorie goal (1200) several days in a row. Tried to make up for it by exercising a little more, but worry that I'll start gaining again. I may up my dose, but I hate the side effects! I finally stopped feeling jittery on half a dose. Don't want to go through that again.

I read that you should not take caffeine and phentermine together. So when I really need coffee in the morning, I'll skip taking phentermine that day. This morning, I did not want to get out of bed (ugh, Mondays), so I opted for the coffee instead of phentermine, but since my motivation and weight loss is slowing down, I really should take it. I'm thinking of waiting until lunchtime. I just don't want to feel weird at work if I have a bad reaction to the phentermine/caffeine combo. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm curious what other people have experienced. Thanks!

Replies

• jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee in the morning. Doctor said don't have more than one...
  • dicegame04
    dicegame04 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I skip the caffeine with Phentermine in the mornings. The pill gives me more energy and makes me feel more alert than a cup of coffee does. Sometimes in the afternoon, I'll have diet soda for caffeine, but that's maybe once a week.
  • amoreslove
    Options
    I went to the doctor today and she confirmed that mixing with caffeine is bad, although she said every once in a while is ok. So for now, I'm only drinking coffee on days I don't take phen. In other news, I've plateaued! :ohwell: I lost 10 lbs the first 3 weeks and nada since. I've been on it for 6 weeks total. I'm eating around 1200 calories a day and some moderate exercise. So frustrating!
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been taking the Phen/Top combo now for 4 weeks and I am down 9.6 pounds...ideally, I would have liked to hit that 10 pound mark, but the bowels are not always cooperating....LOL. I have been drinking my usual 3 coffees everyday all along, and it is only in the last couple days that I am thinking maybe it is too much...today I have not yet had my coffee, took my meds an hour ago, so kind of waiting to decide whether to cut it more (I already mix it with a protein drink) or see if I have decaf (highly unlikely) or try coffee protein powder (which I just got, but have not tried). I have been off my blood pressure meds for the past two weeks, when my Top dose increased from 25 - 50mg - my blood pressure dropped! I have a cuff at home, so am monitoring...which is another reason I am giving some thought to the phentermine/caffeine.....especially since I am also taking fluoxetine....so, thanks for posting!!
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Hello, I replied to you a week ago, but wanted to update. I stopped caffeine and switched to decaf a week ago and I must say, I feel better and I can feel the effects of the Phen better, too, instead of just the jitters, shakes and all that. I did not try to cut back because one cup of coffee just was not attractive to me. I make a 30gm protein shake and use that to mix with my coffee, kind of like a latte, so I still wanted to get my protein in.
  • amoreslove
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better weezleweeks! My understanding is that caffeine pushes the phen through your system faster, so it's not as affective. I actually haven't taken phen for almost two weeks. Since I plateaued anyway, thought I'd give it a rest. Plus, I missed my morning coffee drink! I'll probably start it up again this week. Hope I haven't gained weight. I've been tracking, but eating closer to 1500 calories a day. My metabolism is slow, so my doctor said I need to stick to 1200 if I want to see results. :grumble:
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply; especially the info about the caffeine pushing the phen through the system faster. That makes sense considering how I was feeling after a few weeks. I am drinking decaf, so am not really missing the "coffee". Did you only take the phen or did you take the combo?
  • amoreslove
    Options
    Looks like you passed the 10 pound mark. Congrats! I'm only taking phen. I don't have a ton of weight to lose (only around 35 lbs), but in the last couple of years I haven't been able to lose at all, through regular workouts, weight watchers or tracking on my own, so my doctor subscribed phentermine to give me a kick start. After two years of only gaining, I couldn't believe it worked! Even being off of phen for a couple of weeks now, I've noticed that even when I think I've pigged out for the day, I'm still in a decent caloric range, so I guess it really has helped me form some better habits. That said, my scale broke, so I haven't weighed myself in a week, so who knows what damage I've done.

I've also read not to mix it with alcohol. Not exactly sure why, but I'm not going to risk it. So when I plan on having a drink I skip phen for the day.

So tomorrow, I start again. I really need to get my motivation back!
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Aww, thank for noticing my weight loss!! This is definitely the best progress I have made. I probably already said that I think my doctor would like to see a bigger loss on my weigh-ins, but I am fine with the pace I have going. I see him on Thursday so will have a better idea of his goals, too, instead of just the clinic staff and the weekly weigh-ins.

I feel better without the caffeine - I am sure it is because of the phentermine. Hopefully, when I come off that, going back on the caffeine will help me bridge the gap.

I don't know if you have been constipated with the phen, but it is a common side effect. I did start taking a 10 billion probiotic and I think that has helped, but I still usually use Miralax or Smooth Move Tea a couple of consecutive days to keep things regular.

Like you, I have been slowly gaining over the last couple years, so I am thrilled to be losing and feeling better. I do not drink, so I have no experience with mixing, so you are probably doing good skipping. I would say if you take the phen the day after, to really up the fluid intake because the phen itself can make you dehydrated and so can drinking.

Talk soon! Louise