calling all runners...!

Options
hey y'all.

if there is anyone on here who does running, im looking to get into it. where should i start, what should my first goals be? looking to do this as well as my current fitness regime of 30ds 7xw bellydancing 1xw and 2hr hike 1xw.

Replies

• sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm going to add you - no sense in chatting and not being friends!

Anyway, look into couch to 5k. It's a 9 week program that theoretically gets you to 5k distance in that time. My slow turtle behind has done it 3 times and I max out at 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, but who knows how it will work for you?

Also, look into getting proper shoes. I know, they're expensive. However, they really do protect (and correct, if applicable) your feet and gait, respectively.
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    I'm going to add you - no sense in chatting and not being friends!

Anyway, look into couch to 5k. It's a 9 week program that theoretically gets you to 5k distance in that time. My slow turtle behind has done it 3 times and I max out at 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, but who knows how it will work for you?

Also, look into getting proper shoes. I know, they're expensive. However, they really do protect (and correct, if applicable) your feet and gait, respectively.

hahaha yes seams silly doesnt it. i should just add everyone from the members list. :laugh: i think my mom has done that, so i shall ask her about how she found it. im looking into some nice trainers, i didnt even know they made specific running shoes to measure.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Dork, you know I started running in June!!! :laugh: do you have a store there that specializes in running?? I know we do, if not a GOOD athletic store would have knowledgable people. Our store does gait videos to assess if you have any problems and can fit accordingly. Also, you need to decide what you are running on: trails, pavement, track, or treadmill. Get proper shoes first. Matt and I didn't and we paid for it. I didn't do the couch to 5 k, I started with the Run a 3k, and moved to the Run a 5k with hubby. It's wonderful because I had no idea how or where to start. It's amazing how quickly your body adapts to running over the course of a few weeks.
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    Dork, you know I started running in June!!! :laugh: do you have a store there that specializes in running?? I know we do, if not a GOOD athletic store would have knowledgable people. Our store does gait videos to assess if you have any problems and can fit accordingly. Also, you need to decide what you are running on: trails, pavement, track, or treadmill. Get proper shoes first. Matt and I didn't and we paid for it. I didn't do the couch to 5 k, I started with the Run a 3k, and moved to the Run a 5k with hubby. It's wonderful because I had no idea how or where to start. It's amazing how quickly your body adapts to running over the course of a few weeks.

Im so tired i forgot to change my daughters nappy until 1pm from 7pm yesterday. She's still not sleeping through. Thankfully Andrew is off work tomorrow until Tuesday so I may get to go back to sleep, just means kicking him out of bed to look after her because no doubt he will say he deserves the lie in more.

Most sports shops sell trainers but I don't know who does proper fitted running shoes. Will be running on road/pavement.
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Shoes! Definitely, Definitely the shoes! Get fitted for the right shoes or else you're going to get hurt and pay for it later. I'm still saving up to get mine, I think around November I will get some. Warning, you're going to fall in love with running! By my fifth week I was itching to get to the track everyday! Can't wait to get back to it. C25K is a really fun program and builds you up slow. If it's too much through, running for 1.5 straight was really hard on me at first, there is an a slower one which I used. It's on pintrest and I can get you the link if you'd like...I seriously doubt you will have any issues though, you seem pretty tough. I have asthma so I had to be careful.