Is it worth it or not?

Options
onwarddownward
onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
I'm 48, I didn't graduate HS, got a GED in my twenties. I did some college, basically any programming classes I could take. COBOL, RPGII, database management system. Then I got divorced and couldn't finish.

I've been a SAHM since 1998, except for freelancing. I'd like to work, but I don't have a degree or qualifications, other than what I have in my brain.

Is it too late, at 48, to get an IT Bachelors? Is it worth it? I don't know how many working years I'd have left. I want to do something with my life, but I am scared of going into debt with student loans.

What would you do?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Never too late! If its what you're truly interested in doing...go for it!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    You will regret it in 3 years time. Do it.

Also our IT lady at work is working towards her degree she is in her 2nd year and is 49!
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to do anything in life that you want.... The only thing that will be a waste of time is you not doing it... Go for it hunni you got this...
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is NEVER too late to get your education!

I work for a University and we have MANY MANY MANY students who are adults and coming back to school for various reasons.

Find a University that understands the unique needs of an adult student.

Remember, just like getting fit, you'll find the time to do the things you decide are priorities.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think it's always worth it to better yourself. It's never to late and is much better than not doing anything. If you really want to do this then I think you should. Yes there will be student loans but once you've graduated and enter your career, paying on them shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you think that it's something that you'll start but not finish, then I think you should hold off because then you'll create extra bills for yourself that aren't worth it because you weren't determined enough to finish and will be stuck with a monthly reminder of it.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it!!!! I am a year short of having a Master's degree and maxed out on student loans so I can't go back till I get those paid down some, but I plan to go back and finish regardless of how long that takes! I strongly suggest that you go for the thing you love the most, though. If that is IT, then awesomeness, you are poised to go! If not, then do what makes you happy!!! If you are going to devote the remainder of your working years to it, you should probably want "it" to be enjoyable!
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My spouse just graduated with her AA along with a lady who is 78, and is now working on her bachelors with a lady closing the gap on 70 who is setting the curve. Go for it! Show those "kids" how it is done.
  • flybirdee
    flybirdee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If that is what you really want, then do it! I teach in upgrading and university prep. I have seen many people in there 40s - 60s go back to school. Yes, student loans are scary, so I would suggest finding a way of making money while going to school. Anyways, good luck.
  • mustapekka
    Options
    You should totally do it! Even the fact that you're thinking about it is inspiring!

Life is long, and you shouldn't stop learning or trying to better yourself just because you've passed your twenties!

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!