Am I ready to give up McDonalds/KFC/Pizza?

Options
bettbett87
bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
I've been trying to lose weight for years now and find it really demotivating when I get into a really good fitness routine and healthy diet and find NO improvement. It has dawned on me that thereason for this is my 1 night per week treat consisting of any of the above (I'll be honest, if I'm hungover I might even have all three in one day).
It just seems really unfair that I work so hard to lose weight 6 days of the week and that 1 bad day is holding me back! I'm aware that any food in moderation is acceptable and reluctantly admit that once a week is not in moderation.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that I do REALLY want to achieve my goals but then I look ahead and picture a life without those foods and I'm torn and miserable.

Anyone else feel the same? I wonder if hypnotherapy is the answer....

Don't get me started on trying to quit smoking!

Replies

• Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to give up those foods. Maybe try to eat one of them once every 2 weeks, or once a month?

I was consistantly derailing myself on the weekends and undoing most of my hard work during the week, so I decided that I am drastically reducing my drinking. It sucks, because I loves my wine, but the acohol itself has a high caloric count, and then I also tend to eat like crap on a hangover day.

I have done some reading on hypnotherapy and it does seem to have a pretty good sucess rate.

Best of luck :)
  • Mayra_121
    Mayra_121 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bettbett87:

I definately understand what you are saying. Especially after getting a car in HS and being a full-time college student, I LOVED eating out. Then I got a job at McDonald's and all hell broke lose. I gained almost 50 lbs in around 2 years and stayed there for about 3 years. I knew that the main cause for my weight gain was that I would eat almost 2 fast food meals everyday! And even with that I just didn't feel like giving it up. I stated limiting it little by little, to just a few days a week instead of everyday. But something that helped alot was that I started experimenting in the kitchen. I used to not like to cook but have learned to love it. I like trying new things and you can be surprised how many delicious meals you can make that aren't as high in calories and fat. I still have a cheat day once a week, those days I might have a few beers with my bf and eat a hamburger with fries but I dedicate the rest of the week on working it off and making the best choices I can food-wise.

Something that helped me jumpstart my weightloss journey was that I challenged myself to do a juice fast for 30 days. I know it is sounds pretty extreme and believe me it was hard as hell, but after actually finishing it I felt powerful because no one thought I would be able to do the challenge ( at times not even myself). I lost 15 lbs and a lot of inches. It's been a month after my fast and I haven't gained any weight back which is super cool. If you're up to it, you can try a juice fast for 5-7 days (which in the first week I lost almost 10 lbs). You lose weight and it will help you become stronger mentally about your relationship with food. (well it helped for me). Best of luck to you!!!!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You don't need to completely give them up. As long as you adjust your calories for the rest of the day, eat them!

A McDouble is I think 440 calories. If I'm eating 1600 calories a day (not sure what you're set at), I can easily squeeze that in, I just need to avoid the fries and drink diet soda instead of regular.

Don't deprive yourself :flowerforyou:
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this yesterday and I battled a craving for a fast food breakfast sandwich and lost the battle. For me, I can't say that it will be goodbye forever but that will be one of my goals for this Christmas challenge to only have it sparingly and see how I feel. If I feel better without it then I can use that as motivation to stay away. If I don't then I try to work it back in and move calories around or increase exercise on those days.

Anyway, all that to say, I know how you feel!
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing is I too used to work at McDonalds and I was a lot lighter than this, averaging at 154lbs! I think not having a car back then helped (as well as being a spring chicken!)

I really want to change my relationship with food because so much of my life revolves around it.
    I don't have time to experiment in the kitchen really between work, gym and kids.. I'll have to encourage my partner to do it!
  • jema_b98
    jema_b98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The guilt after I eat fast food has helped me stay away from all of them for most of the time, but once a week, I let myself have a cheeseburger (no fires or soda) or a slice of Pizza, or 2 tacos. It helps me feel like I'm not deprived but I have to adjust my other meals to allow for the calories.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well, if you know you're going to splurge on takeaways and booze, just plan it in! Earn it by doing extra exercise or keeping the calories down the day before. You have to live in the real world after all - and the real world includes takeaways and booze! :drinker:
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps telling me about portion control, and still eating the foods I love but less of it in moderation. I am trying to find a way but it's a struggle because I cant be trusted! I have a food addiction, and this is why I am eating so little now, because I am nervous about overeating.

I am obsessed with pizzeiras and Italian food. I am nervous to be around pizzeiras or Italian restaurants because I feel like I would not be able to control myself. I'd get a pizza slice, then I want a few more. I used to eat about 4 or 5. Then I would go get 2 garlic knots, 2 zeppoles, and then finally a cherry icy. I can not be trusted there. I get nervous when I get off the train and have to wait for the bus because it's right there and the smells just taunt me while I wait for the bus. I had to change my commute route just to avoid this, and it's about a 20 to 30 minute extra commute time just to avoid a pizzeira (Leaving money/ credit cards home is not an option because I need it for an emergency). I am so pathetic...

Then there's my obsession with cheese and pasta. I eat so much pasta, but I am deciding to give it up because I lose control. I remember a long while ago when I was at culinary school, they let us take home so much cheese and pasta, and I ate so much of it. I would say I had about 6 to 10 bowls of pasta a day with cream, butter, cheese and lots of tomato sauce. I had to quit being a sous chef at a great restaurant because I became morbidly obese and could not control myself around all that food. I had to give up my dream because I am so pathetic not to have any control. I wish I had enough control that I could be a great chef. But now I am stuck studying Psychology going to get my masters... Ironically, I still don't have the answers on how to control myself. Anyways it's Industrial Psychology so it's not as relevant, but you would think someone studying psych would have some general answers. One day I want to cook without being scared that I am going to eat everything. Sorry for that long story, but I just had to vent about struggling with food addiction. Any one else dealing with a food addiction, and would like to talk, I am here.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I just started Weight Watchers, and if I save up my points, I'm able to indulge on the weekend if I want. If I give those foods up, I will feel deprived, and then I'll end up giving up and binging. If I stay within the points, I will be fine. That's just me though.,

14877786.png
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually end up hitting fast food joints 1x a week or 1x every 2 weeks. I don't usually go out drinking though (have young kids and all). Alcohol has a ton of calories, you can try making lower calorie drink choices. As for fast food, just make smarter choices on the menu. Instead of that whopper with cheese and fries, get just the whopper with no cheese or a jr size. Same at mcdonalds. I have fallen in love with wendy's salads, they are delicious but sometimes you just want that meat. I usually just get a sandwich and a drink and its enough for me. Pizza is a challenge but I usually just order 1 large pizza, give each of my kids a slice, eat 2 slices (with tons of water...pizza is thirst inducing and the salt makes me hold onto water for a day or 2) and my husband chows on the rest. I used to eat half the pizza myself. I'm not very bingy though, the only thing I am bingy on is chocolate. Can't have it in the house, so I just get a bar of really good stuff once a week while shopping and give half of it to my mom and I eat the other half. Just make sure you account for the calories. Also, I have seen some people keep a weekly tally of calories vs a daily tally so that they go light on a few days and then have a heavy few days. Most I have seen people use it to break a plateau. So if you know you are going to chow on the weekend, exercise extra and eat a little bit better/lighter a few days before hand.