Box or Gym?

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
One thing that I think is fun about CrossFit is all the different terms and acronyms. It really is like a different language! As someone who has moved from the business side into the IT side I can appreciate the ease with which one can slip into adopting new terms. That being said, I have decided to draw a line in the sand and I will always call my gym a gym rather than a box. I am funny that way.

So what word to you use to describe your CrossFit facility?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Box. Or gym. But mostly box. :-)

Actually, we call ours "The Riv" because it's CrossFit Riverfront.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I usually call it a gym unless I'm talking to other CF people.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like saying "box" to people just to see the look on their face. :noway:

"I was at my box this morning, and I worked on my snatch during the WOD." :bigsmile:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Get out of my head, Laney!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

"I was at my box this morning, and I worked on my snatch during the WOD." :bigsmile:

I see what you did there.... :blushing:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Ok I googled your box...it is ENORMOUS. And I think it might be a bit chilly come wintertime :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My box, Forever Crossfit, is actually inside of a gym called Forever Fitness. We just doubled the amount of space we have available by taking over the spinning room and another one of the Zumba/aerobics class room.

I guess the owner realized that he was making a hell of a lot more money off us CFers and that the box was near its capacity.

It's not fully integrated yet but we did get our 25 meters of fake grass so we can have fun with our new sled :)
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options

:laugh: You have a beautiful mind!! :flowerforyou:
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i call it my second home...
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options

^^^This.^^^

I go to an actual CF box... I know there are some that are at gyms and hold CF classes. Maybe some people say gym b/c there's is at a gym? IDK

For me, I am at a stand alone box.... But call it gym more often than not b/c my F&F network have not drank the koolaid. :ohwell:
  • PRMinx
    Options

Ok I googled your box...it is ENORMOUS. And I think it might be a bit chilly come wintertime :)

Hahaha. It is a little chilly in the winter. But we are tough! Next time you're in Delaware, come on over for a WOD!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    My box, Forever Crossfit, is actually inside of a gym called Forever Fitness. We just doubled the amount of space we have available by taking over the spinning room and another one of the Zumba/aerobics class room.

I guess the owner realized that he was making a hell of a lot more money off us CFers and that the box was near its capacity.

It's not fully integrated yet but we did get our 25 meters of fake grass so we can have fun with our new sled :)

Nice. As membership keeps growing, you may find yourself in a new box! The grass is great for prowlers (is that a sled?)
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options

Yay sleds
  • leanna1120
    leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

• leanna1120
    leanna1120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oops...meant to say that was hysterical!!! :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just say I'm going to CrossFit.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I say gym unless I'm talking to other crossfitters also. :)
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid it and just say: yea, i go to crossFit.
    I don't like to say gym, cause its so different, but when I say box nobodys understands me. :(:D
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My affiliate is CrossFit Country (www.crossfitcountry.com). It's 20,000 sq ft inside and 6000 sq ft outside. Not really a 'box' but we still call it that or 'gym' interchangeably.

Nothing like watching a lady work on her snatch while I jerk.

^^^ gotta love Oly terms. ^^^