Hashimoto

Options
Marla64
Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
Hey everybody--

I love the idea of the challenge-- give me a good reason to get on board with the paleo. I've been dipping my toe in the water, but with many kids in the house, there are still way too many temptations now and then to stumble.

I joined MFP in July of '08 with a goal of losing 50 pounds by my 45th birthday in June of '09. I came up 4 pounds shy, so summer of '09 I kicked it into full court press mode. Cut out sugar totally, and was living on rice cakes, fresh fruits/veggies, lean meats here and there and some natural peanut butter. I was going to get to goal, or die trying.

Living on 1200-1400 calories, training for a half marathon, my weight began to go up. I noticed a puffy belly and my weight was going up. I tried everything-- veggie juice fasts, diuretics, cutting more calories, exercising more-- started going to doctor after doctor, all of whom pat me on the head and sent me away. "You know, you're getting older. Gaining weight at your age is normal." All the while, the weight kept going up and up.

I considered that all bullpoop. I went armed with my food diaries and my exercise logs and finally found a doctor who took me seriously-- did more bloodwork to look for antibodies for the lovely thyroid disorder known as Hashimoto-- or Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis. My immune system has attacked and shut down my thyroid.

Could it have been from the "shock" to my system of being all but starved? I never ate back exercise calories-- I wanted this weight OFF. Doctors say no-- you can't give yourself Hashimotos-- but who knows? These are the same doctors that took nearly two years to get a clue and check for antibodies-- Either way-- I now have a thyroid that tells me to go to hell when I want it to burn some calories.

IN any event-- I've found that I can stop the weight gain with a gluten-free (or very close to it) lifestyle, and very low carb-- paleo is right up that alley.

This challenge will be very helpful--

Looking forward to accountability--
Marla

Replies

• ironladyjess
    Options
    Maria, welcome to the challenge! I'm glad to see I can reach out to people across the globe willing to give the 90 day challenge a try!

I've been on and off Paleo for a better part of a year, and had my most amazing results since I started really focusing on the foods I was eating and sticking pretty strict. 100% Paleo, 80% of the time philosophy. I cheat about once a week, and this challenge will really be the test.

Looking forward to the before and afters!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Thanks, Jess--

But it's Marla with a letter L-- not Maria with an I.

Common mistake-- ever since first day of Kindergarten-- ha.

I try to do more paleo than non, also-- some days are better than others.

Looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks for the welcome.
  • ironladyjess
    Options
    My mistake, Ls and I's start to look the same after a 60 hour work week lol. Won't make that mistake again!
  • Marla64
    Options
    My mistake, Ls and I's start to look the same after a 60 hour work week lol. Won't make that mistake again!

:laugh:

Not a problem-- just incumbent on me to point it out. Only time I was too intimidated to correct someone was freshman year in high school-- my English teacher scared the crap out of me. I let her call me Maria for nearly a week before I corrected her. Ha.
  • ironladyjess
    Options
    People always call me Jennifer, and from Jessica, that's a little different. My one boss kept calling me Jennifer even though I would constantly correct her lol. I know your pain.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Okay, so I've been thinking a lot--

I've decided I have to do my own modified paleo approach-- and personally, decided I can't wait until September 1st. My mindset when I set a date in the future is, "Let me eat all I won't be able to then, now!!" Not good. I started Friday.

I'm doing my modified paleo thang... for example, allowing organic ranch dressing for my salads. I'll crash and burn if I can't dress my salads-- also a smidge of dairy here and there is a possibility-- but I already limit that, so where possible and practical, I will endeavor to eliminate that.

I plan to continue to eliminate glutens, and for the duration of this challenge to eliminate all other grains, and will continue to count and limit carbs in general-- I have found with Hashimotos that I can't lose weight unless I'm in ketosis-- so, that is my goal.

Beyond that-- I shall endeavor as soon as financially possible, to buy a new pair of running shoes and get me *kitten* out there and start moving again.

I may not partake in the rest of the rules of the challenge-- but I'm with you in spirit.
  • ironladyjess
    Options
    Well you know, you can go on any Paleo Recipe website, and I'm sure they will have dressings. Also, there's coconut milk and almond milk that can be used in absence of dairy.

No excuse not to do the challenge. Other than it might be a little difficult at first, but that's why it's a challenge.
    I've made all sorts of things that are Paleo, from katsup (because I can't live without katsup), to BBQ Sauce and many others used to "dress" foods.

Don't be so easy to give up or "modify" it.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, with all due respect, I'm not looking for excuses. I'm finding a way that I can live with a paleo lifestyle and make it permanent and enjoyable. Yes, I could find a way to make my own dressings-- just not inclined to be that gung-ho creative. I have a bunch of mouths to feed, and am always budget crunched and time restrained. Preservative-free buttermilk ranch, especially in the minuscule amounts that I use, works fine for me-- my conscience is as clean as my eating-- ha.

I began my Paleoesque eating a week ago and have lost 4 pounds. I'm happy with it, and it's a way that I can eat without driving myself crazy.

If that eliminates me from the challenge, I can live with that.

Thanks for all your input.