Cheating or Chatting?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
There are several threads throughout the forums discussing male/female relationships and what constitutes crossing the line. I like this blog by Dr. Laura to help people know where to draw the line, and I'm curious what you all think:
Chatting or Cheating?
August 15, 2013 on 5:07 pm | In Infidelity, Marriage, Sex Email This Post Email This Post

In the day, it was very clear what constituted cheating. You had sex with somebody while you were married or engaged, and you also had to make great efforts to have an affair. But with all the new means by which people can connect today, cheating has become a whole new monster. There’s texting, Skyping and emailing. There are websites that cater to people who wish to fool around on their spouses. And along with these advances in technology, what counts as “cheating” seems to have become less cut and dry (i.e. it’s no longer just the physical act of having sex with someone else).

However, I can simplify things for you. Ready?

If you have to hide or sneak around to do what you’re doing, or you wouldn’t say or do it in front of your children or spouse, it’s cheating. Simple as that.

Here are some red flags that your friendly correspondence with someone of the opposite sex is really cheater chatter:

Deleting emails

If you’re deleting emails, then you’re assuming that your spouse would be upset if they were to read them. Therefore, you are covering something up. Ask yourself, “How would I feel if I knew my spouse was corresponding with an attractive secret someone in the way I am doing right now.”

Fulfilling a sexual fantasy

Affairs are often about playing out sexual fantasies. If you notice that your correspondence is feeding your fantasies, you’re doing something wrong.

Amount of time spent talking with him/her

It’s not just the content that can be considered cheating, it’s the amount of time spent sharing it. For example, if you are emailing a “friend” 15 plus times a day, I’m sorry, that’s an affair.

Rationalizing

“He’s/She’s just a friend” is something you don’t have to say to yourself when you’re involved in an innocent communication. Do you feel the need to justify it? Well, that’s because you know what you’re doing is wrong.

It’s meeting your personal needs

Your marriage is for meeting your personal needs, and that’s where they should be dealt with.

Talking about your marriage with him/her

Talking about your marriage with someone of the opposite sex is a breach of trust and disrespectful.

Your spouse doesn’t like it, or your good friend tells you it’s not right.

If your spouse has told you they don’t like it and they do it anyway, it’s an affair. It’s not right to be more concerned about connecting with this person than with your spouse’s feelings.

So again, if you wouldn’t say or do it in front of your spouse or kids, you’re cheating. And even if your spouse is being a pain in the butt, there are healthier ways to increase your self-esteem than breaching your vows.

You can get more detail on the points at this article: http://www.livescience.com/15015-flirting-cheating-red-flags.html

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If you have to hide or sneak around to do what you’re doing, or you wouldn’t say or do it in front of your children or spouse, it’s cheating. Simple as that.

So it's not cheating if you nail a hooker while video taping it as long as you're okay handing the tape to your spouse on your way out the door for another round?
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I've always more or less defended the point of view that cheating isn't just about the "physical act".

These I'm not sure about though:
    Talking about your marriage with him/her
    Talking about your marriage with someone of the opposite sex is a breach of trust and disrespectful.
    Poor women then. Having to talk about their marriage problems with other women is bound to increase your blood pressure.
    Your spouse doesn’t like it, or your good friend tells you it’s not right.
    If your spouse has told you they don’t like it and they do it anyway, it’s an affair. It’s not right to be more concerned about connecting with this person than with your spouse’s feelings.
    Or your spouse tend to go over the top and needs to chill out.
    Some people really are jealous and they should learn to trust you first (that said you shouldn't be feeding the mistrust either).
    And even if your spouse is being a pain in the butt, there are healthier ways to increase your self-esteem than breaching your vows.
    I think for me, being involved outside of the relationship (and I don't necessarily mean sexually, but just talking, meeting people, etc.) would be more an escape from a "tired" relationship rather than just for increasing my self-esteem.
    Actually it might revitalize me instead of drawing me outside.

Also most people want to know that they are still "attractive", especially when your life is unfulfilling (e.g. boring job, etc.). They will look for that "respect" and "admiration" elsewhere, especially if they don't get it withing the confines of the relationship.

The way I feel personally is that I will always need to "feed" mentally and emotionally on more than one person (of the opposite sex).
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I believe most people inherently know right from wrong when it comes to overstepping boundaries, and yes, cheating can be both physical and emotional. That doesn't mean that many of us still cannot have pure friendships with the opposite sex and I doubt we need 'rules' in order to know what is appropriate or not.

Janie, I'm saying this with all due respect, but you obviously have unresolved issues with this topic to keep rehashing it, and it might be time to discuss it with your bf or a therapist, or both. :flowerforyou: Otherwise, emotionally discussing this subject in Single Peeps may also be inappropriate if your spouse is unaware.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I absolutely buy the secrecy element of this blog post, but a lot of the rest seems rather absurd to me. I frequently email friends of the opposite gender multiple times in a day - we're having a conversation, or making plans, and that's a normal part of communication, not an 'affair'.

Erm... no. Talking about the intimate details of your personal life with another person, regardless of their gender, is a breach of trust and disrespectful. Talking about your marriage/relationship, in general - not specific details of your sex life! - with a friend (again regardless of gender) is not necessarily so. In fact, it can be a positive asset in a relationship. How many of us have, at one time or other, vented to a friend about something in a relationship, romantic or otherwise, that really bugs us, and been offered an alternative perspective that has made us look at that thing in a new light, with more positivity/tolerance/understanding? I'd be willing to bet virtually everyone here has done that at some time.

As for the 'personal needs' business...since when was it a bad thing to need to have a range of friends as well as an intimate partner? Friends are platonic by definition (unless we're going into 'friends with benefits' territory, which really ought to be called something else anyway, for accuracy's sake), so why on earth does it matter if they happen to be of the same gender as your romantic partner?

If your friends are not actually friends, but rather 'someone I'd quite like to have sex with', and you're in a relationship, then you have a problem - not an insuperable problem, but you will have to find a way of dealing with that, if you're to remain faithful to your spouse/partner. If, on the other hand, your friends are people (people, not 'men' or 'women') whose company you enjoy, and who enhance your pleasure in life, in a purely platonic way, as well as improving your (and in all likelihood, your partner's) social circle, then no problem exists, nor should anyone be made to feel that it does. Having a platonic friend, even a close one, is NOT the same as having an affair. An affair requires sexual content - physical or otherwise - or we'd be calling every bromance, or BFF relationship, adultery, by this Dr Laura's standards.

I, for one, really resent the implication that all male-female relationships are sexual, and therefore suspect, in nature. They aren't. You may as well say that every gay man or lesbian woman is sexually attracted to all members of their own gender. I'm assured by my many homosexual friends of both genders that they're not.

We all have factors, as discussed ad infintum on this board, that attract or put us off the individual members of the wider group to whom we are essentially attracted. My best friend/substitute brother is, objectively, gorgeous - a prize catch by many people's standards - tall, successful, good looking, charming and intelligent. I love him to bits, can, and often do, have two-hour conversations with him by phone or in person, frequently have 15+ email chains through the day, can wear any height heel I can walk in and still feel short by his side... and have absolutely no physical attraction to him at all*. In fact, the thought of there being anything 'more' between us is actually somewhat nauseating to me. He's too skinny for my taste, his politics and social background are very different from mine, he's neurotic about what he eats/borderline hypochondriac, uses alternative medicine widely, and his hair is too long, plus he has brown eyes, and I prefer light-eyed men! Yet, I love my friend. I love his hugs, the fact he knows more about my current medical status than my mother does and researches/checks to make sure I'm not doing things that would cut off my future options, the fact he sends brilliantly clever and very silly cards for my birthday, but is a total Scrooge about Christmas... I adore him, but I do not EVER want to sleep with him, and the feeling is demonstrably mutual - I lived with him for an entire summer between my Bachelors' and Masters' degrees, we were both single, and though we frequently shared a sofa/saw each other in a towel post-shower etc there was never even a frisson of awkwardness or 'awareness'. I'm not his 'type' any more than he's mine, but I make an excellent wingwoman on occasion, translator for the female-specific vagaries of the girls he does go for, and a really good FRIEND.

I don't see why this distinction seems to be so difficult for so many people to understand. I have several close friendships, some with males, some with females - none of these friendships are in any way a 'threat' to my, or their, romantic or sexual relationships. I'm sorry this is so long, but this something I feel passionate about. Apart from the 'icky' years of about 9-14, I have always had many male friends, and they have enriched my life immeasurably, in so many ways. I hope I have had the same effect on their lives. Someone saying or inferring that this is wrong makes me both very sad, and very angry, as well as, if I'm honest, inducing rather a lot of pity for those whose fear of someone overstepping is so great that they cut themselves off from the possibility of life-enhancing friendship with half the human race.

*ETA - all of this applies to my closest female friend, too (well, except the heels - she's 5'2"!). She's in a relationship...does doing these things mean she's having an 'affair' with me?!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

So it's not cheating if you nail a hooker while video taping it as long as you're okay handing the tape to your spouse on your way out the door for another round?

Plot twist: spouse is the hooker.

--P
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    I don't see why this distinction seems to be so difficult for so many people to understand. I have several close friendships, some with males, some with females - none of these friendships are in any way a 'threat' to my, or their, romantic or sexual relationships. I'm sorry this is so long, but this something I feel passionate about.
    It gets easier to understand after 5+ years of an average marriage.
    Not that these old friendships will ever be a threat at this stage, the new ones however will make the grass seem way greener out there...
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Plot twist: spouse is the hooker.

--P

Well, If she's charging you for the sex, then it isn't cheating to get it somewhere else for free. Or even for a better value on the money. That's just good economics.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    In short - I draw the line at having sex with my married/attached male friends! Everything else is arbitrary.

In long - what Castadiva said! :flowerforyou:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    It’s not just the content that can be considered cheating, it’s the amount of time spent sharing it. For example, if you are emailing a “friend” 15 plus times a day, I’m sorry, that’s an affair.

I agree.

I agree to a certain extent...I wouldn't mind if he mentioned little things like "we have a great marriage...she is so thoughtful of me..." Compliments. But a man or woman should not be telling their opposite sex friends about fights in the marriage, incompatibilities and the like.

This was my whole point in the other thread.

If I were to tell my husband, "you know, I'm uncomfortable when you hang out alone with _________" and he insists its fine and keeps on doing it without even considering my feelings on the matter. that is a blatant disregard of our marriage, the promise and commitment we made to one another. It's not abusive or controlling to make requests of your spouse like that - it's asking the other person to consider your feelings. If my husband can't even do that and make a compromise then that shows a lack of commitment to our marriage.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I have never maintained that men and women can't be platonic friends. I have several guy friends and have talked about them often in this forum. Some of them are (or used to be) in this forum.

I disagree that posting an article after reading about this topic in several different forums constitutes "keep rehashing it." Seems to me that the topic is quite relevant as other people keep bringing it up. Me having a different opinion does not equal needing counseling. In fact, my opinion is shared by the bulk of the people in my circle so I'm quite surprised to see it's in the minority here.That's the benefit of sharing opinions and being in a group where you can see how others think.

I also disagree that most people inherently know right from wrong when it comes to overstepping boundaries. I formed this opinion from reading the "Surviving an Affair" forum where story after story is told of people who fell into affairs they never intended to happen. They got sucked in emotionally because they didn't realize they were becoming too emotionally attached. Read for yourself: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=35&page=1

With regards to discussing marriage, the article she referenced goes into more detail. Asking a friend for advice or help to please a significant other is one thing. When it switches to complaining, talking disrespectfully about, or talking about intimate details that's another. My original "best guy friend"(before BB took over that role) asks me questions about his gf of (now) three years as she and I are very similar in personality and background. There are times I have to tell him stop being such a jerk. We maintain proper boundaries.There's never any of this "she doesn't understand me... I need comforting" stupidness.

Here's part of the article Dr. Laura referenced in the original blog post above:
    Hertlein believes that cyber cheating is especially appealing to women because they can get their emotional needs met behind a computer in the comfort of their home. However, many polls indicate that seemingly harmless online friendships often develop into intense emotional and physical affairs that can devastate marriages. Recent research has indicated that online cheating usually leads to physical encounters.

So, when does flirting cross that invincible line from innocent bantering to dangerous dialogue? After researching the topic and talking to a few family therapists, I pulled together the following 9 red flags.

1. When it's secretive.

If you are deleting your emails — either to her or from her — that's a red flag. Because by deleting them, you are guessing that your spouse would be upset if she read them, and that you are covering up something. Moreover, ask yourself this question: "How would I feel if I knew my wife (or husband) was corresponding to an attractive man in the way I talk to X?" If you feel an uncomfortable knot in your stomach upon answering that question, there you go.

2. If it has a sexual agenda.

This isn't always obvious, of course. But if you notice that your correspondence with this person feeds your sexual fantasies (because an affair is often about sexual fantasy), then you are probably in dangerous waters. If the communications consist of subtle sexual overtones, watch out. If it feels like foreplay in anyway, that’s not good.

3. If you're spending a considerable amount of time talking to him (her).

According to marriage therapist Allyson P., a person needs to consider not only the content of the messages sent back and forth but also the amount of them. For example, if you are emailing a "friend" 15 times a day, that's a tad extreme, even if the content is about SpongeBob Squarepants. A friend of mine confessed to me that she would spend two hours every night on Facebook chatting with an online buddy until she realized that was more time than she was spending with her husband.

4. If you are rationalizing.

"He is just a friend," is a statement that you don't say to yourself when you're involved in innocent communication. Do you feel the need to justify a very safe friendship? No. It's obvious to you and to your mate that the companionship is completely appropriate. However, you may very well be investing in an unsafe friendship if you are constantly wrestling with guilt or feel the need to rationalize.

5. If it's meeting your personal needs.

If you are getting your intimacy needs met in an online relationship or with a co-worker with whom you playfully banter, you might stop to ask yourself why. Be especially careful if you’re sharing intimate sentiments with that person that you don’t share with your husband, or if you feel like your online companion understands you in a way that your spouse doesn't. Be on guard if you are getting fed in any way by him or her that you don't at home.

Better to address the holes in your life and fill them in safe ways, even if you can’t within your marriage. Keep in mind, a good sex life isn’t just about chemistry.

6. If you talk about your marriage or your spouse.

It's disrespectful to share intimate details about your marriage or your spouse, and especially in a discourteous manner or with a flip attitude. Imagine that your wife was overhearing your entire conversation. Would you still say it?

7. If your spouse doesn't like it.

You have just won a red flag if a husband or wife has expressed disapproval of your communications with X, because it usually means that either the content of the correspondence or the amount of it is off balance—that the interaction isn't totally appropriate, or the time spent talking (online or offline) with the person is distracting from family life.

8. If your friend voices concern.

Pay attention if a good friend asks you why you are talking about this person so much, or if she says something like, "Wake up. You are married. He is married. You need to focus on what you have and stop obsessing about what you don't." Friends, sisters, and mothers can often identify the red flags before a person is willing to recognize them herself.

9. If your intentions are wrong.

Let's say your wife is constantly knocking you down, nagging at you, telling you to lose 20 pounds because she didn't intend to marry a beached whale. The natural, or at least easy, thing to do is to find an attractive woman who will feed your ego and tell you that you’re sexy, funny, smart, and so on. Some folks may unconsciously seek out an admirer to get their spouse to take notice of them. It can be effective! But it's also manipulative. There are healthier ways to increase your self-esteem and regain the power that you have lost in your own home.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm a single peep.

I tend to let the married and no single peeps worry about this ****.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I, for one, really resent the implication that all male-female relationships are sexual, and therefore suspect, in nature.

I, for one, really resent the fact that people go off on this topic without actually reading what I wrote. Instead, they fill in the blanks with stuff they think I wrote/feel/think.

Dr. Laura was specifically talking about how to tell when a platonic male/female relationship has taken a turn into cheater territory.
  • castadiva
    Options

This was my whole point in the other thread.

If I were to tell my husband, "you know, I'm uncomfortable when you hang out alone with _________" and he insists its fine and keeps on doing it without even considering my feelings on the matter. that is a blatant disregard of our marriage, the promise and commitment we made to one another. It's not abusive or controlling to make requests of your spouse like that - it's asking the other person to consider your feelings. If my husband can't even do that and make a compromise then that shows a lack of commitment to our marriage.

Well, it's certainly not the most considerate behaviour, and since you feel strongly about it, something you'd definitely want to work through to find a mutually-satisfactory solution, but it's not actually an 'affair' as the original post says it is, any more than continuing to do something else that your spouse doesn't like is. That's my problem with this blog post, really - it takes normal activity, that may or may not be a problem in an individual relationship and individual circumstances, and turns it into something hugely negative and deeply hurtful that, the vast majority of the time, it is not, or need not be.
  • castadiva
    Options
    I, for one, really resent the implication that all male-female relationships are sexual, and therefore suspect, in nature.

I, for one, really resent the fact that people go off on this topic without actually reading what I wrote. Instead, they fill in the blanks with stuff they think I wrote/feel/think.

Dr. Laura was specifically talking about how to tell when a platonic male/female relationship has taken a turn into cheater territory.

Janie, your OP, within the first few paragraphs, said this:
    Affairs are often about playing out sexual fantasies

It then went on to talk in very definite terms about how normal actions such as emailing a lot, talking to a friend about a relationship or doing something your spouse dislikes automatically constitute an 'affair'. It's not difficult to deduce that this writer - not you - believes that all male-female interaction is fraught with the potential and even likelihood of sexual incontinence and/or infidelity. It's an assumption that, in my experience, is incorrect, and even quite offensive, denying both my, and my friends', ability to control our own actions, as well as our ability to maintain relationships that are non-sexual.

I also found this paragraph in your later post interesting:
    I also disagree that most people inherently know right from wrong when it comes to overstepping boundaries. I formed this opinion from reading the "Surviving an Affair" forum where story after story is told of people who fell into affairs they never intended to happen. They got sucked in emotionally because they didn't realize they were becoming too emotionally attached.

You say that you have formed your opinion about people's ability to tell right from wrong from one side of the story - and a biased perspective, at that. It's inevitable that people writing in a forum entitled 'Surviving an Affair' are likely to espouse the idea that they or their spouse 'fell' uncontrollably into an affair - it's an absolutely standard, and probably necessary, self-delusion, and an understandable human instinct, to deny agency and responsibility in order to forgive or seek pardon ("I/they couldn't help it, so it's not really my/their fault and I/they am/are a good person who deserves forgiveness" or "His/Her 'friend' seduced him/her, and he/she couldn't resist - it's not his/her fault"). One could draw an easy parallel with many defense pleas in criminal court, where someone's past history is used to excuse present behaviour.

It's easy to understand why people in that mindset might think that they therefore need stricter, explicit 'rules' to prevent any reoccurrence in their own sphere, or the wider community, and that if they, or their loved one, were unable to control their actions, others must be similarly 'at risk'. Some undoubtedly are - certainly there are people who have real affairs, which are often heartbreaking and hugely destructive to all concerned, and some of these might benefit from such a rigid code - but I think you'll find, as you have here, that the majority of the adult world feels entirely able to self-police in this arena. We know where we draw lines, we trust ourselves and others to recognise them, and if they are breached, we understand that it is our responsibility to take whatever action is needed so that we can live with ourselves and our particular moral code, whatever that means to us individually and in the specific circumstance.

I always read what you post with interest, though I do not always agree. Particularly when you post source material, unless otherwise stated, my disagreement, or resentment in this case, is aimed at the author of the material and what they represent, not you personally.
  • castadiva
    Options
    I don't see why this distinction seems to be so difficult for so many people to understand. I have several close friendships, some with males, some with females - none of these friendships are in any way a 'threat' to my, or their, romantic or sexual relationships. I'm sorry this is so long, but this something I feel passionate about.
    It gets easier to understand after 5+ years of an average marriage.
    Not that these old friendships will ever be a threat at this stage, the new ones however will make the grass seem way greener out there...

If they're new friendships with people I have no sexual interest in, why would they? I take your point about 5+ years and average:wink: - that probably would make a new friendship with someone I found attractive more complicated/risky, though not unmanageable - but I simply don't desire most of the people I'm friends with - I can't see that changing!
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    I also disagree that most people inherently know right from wrong when it comes to overstepping boundaries. I formed this opinion from reading the "Surviving an Affair" forum where story after story is told of people who fell into affairs they never intended to happen. They got sucked in emotionally because they didn't realize they were becoming too emotionally attached.
    You say that you have formed your opinion about people's ability to tell right from wrong from one side of the story - and a biased perspective, at that. It's inevitable that people writing in a forum entitled 'Surviving an Affair' are likely to espouse the idea that they or their spouse 'fell' uncontrollably into an affair - it's an absolutely standard, and probably necessary, self-delusion, and an understandable human instinct, to deny agency and responsibility in order to forgive or seek pardon ("I/they couldn't help it, so it's not really my/their fault and I/they am/are a good person who deserves forgiveness" or "His/Her 'friend' seduced him/her, and he/she couldn't resist - it's not his/her fault").
    I don't know if I agree with this bit...
    Emotions are hard to control so I can see why people can become emotionally attached without a malign intention from the start - which is what I understand when we say people fell "uncontrollably" into the affair.

Especially if the partner/spouse was looking for comfort at a difficult time during their relationship/marriage. You can argue that it was predictable all you want, people will act on the basis that the male-female relationships aren't all "sexual" in nature as well.

But then this relationship could develop into something more sexual after a while (especially if our test subject is one of these people that is attracted in "brains" and not just physical features, then for them this is how things happen anyway - unless they are absolutely disgusted by the physical features of our bait).
    Then one day you wake up and realise that you have (non physically) cheated.
  • castadiva
    Options
    You say that you have formed your opinion about people's ability to tell right from wrong from one side of the story - and a biased perspective, at that. It's inevitable that people writing in a forum entitled 'Surviving an Affair' are likely to espouse the idea that they or their spouse 'fell' uncontrollably into an affair - it's an absolutely standard, and probably necessary, self-delusion, and an understandable human instinct, to deny agency and responsibility in order to forgive or seek pardon ("I/they couldn't help it, so it's not really my/their fault and I/they am/are a good person who deserves forgiveness" or "His/Her 'friend' seduced him/her, and he/she couldn't resist - it's not his/her fault").
    I don't know if I agree with this bit...
    Emotions are hard to control so I can see why people can become emotionally attached without a malign intention from the start - which is what I understand when we say people fell "uncontrollably" into the affair.

Especially if the partner/spouse was looking for comfort at a difficult time during their relationship/marriage. You can argue that it was predictable all you want, people will act on the basis that the male-female relationships aren't all "sexual" in nature as well.

But then this relationship could develop into something more sexual after a while (especially if our test subject is one of these people that is attracted in "brains" and not just physical features, then for them this is how things happen anyway - unless they are absolutely disgusted by the physical features of our bait).
    Then one day you wake up and realise that you have (non physically) cheated.

I see where you're coming from. I guess the distinction for me is that I don't see emotional closeness, or even finding someone other than one's partner attractive, as 'cheating', even if there is a sexual element to the emotion, provided that element is not acted upon in any way/shape/form (I would count explicit, outright sexually-orientated flirting that leads to mental arousal as very close to the line, but not necessarily over it, and the same leading to significant physical arousal as a definite issue). Is it 'cheating' to say "Bradley Cooper/Jessica Alba/insert-name-as-appropriate" is sexually attractive? Of course not. Is it 'cheating' to feel something for someone other than one's partner, whether that's affection or sexual attraction? I don't believe so, provided you don't act on that in a way that betrays your partner's presumed trust*, and I think most adults know what that entails.

While it's understandable that people might slip into feeling a certain way about another person, it is within their control, always (except in relatively-rare cases/types of mental illness) whether or not they act upon that in such a way that they betray, or damage, their own, or the other person's, relationship. Emotional attachment or sexual attraction is less than fully controllable, sure, but acting on it physically, or allowing it to progress to a problematic level is something an adult should be capable of controlling without needing to impose a blanket ban on close contact. One could use sexual assault, or the forced 'covering' of women in some societies as a parallel - just because one sees something one finds arousing does not mean one has the right to act on that arousal in a way that damages the other person, or denies their agency. You're an adult, in control of your own actions - walk away and deal with your arousal in an appropriate, non-damaging way, or find a way of dealing with the emotion that prompted that arousal in a way that does no damage.

Looking for comfort with someone one finds sexually attractive is certainly risky, and I would expect that most people in that situation know that they are treading a very fine line. I wonder, in that scenario, if people are looking for the excitement of treading very close to the 'forbidden' to spice up a life they may feel is dull or unfulfiling. Even so, everyone on this site goes about their day surrounded by things we find desirable but choose not to consume, because we value something else more highly. It seems odd to me that we expect (and exert!) self-control in so many arenas, including many as fundamental as sex, yet are willing to accept that a normal, non-pathologised adult is not in control of his/her sexual behaviour.

*To be clear, I'm not necessarily talking about physical sexual contact here - removing affection, physical or emotional, from the relationship with your partner can be damaging too, as can giving the impression of not caring about the relationship. I don't see affection or caring as a finite resource, though. Spending a few hours with a friend every now and then, sharing a joke, or endowing them with affection shouldn't make your partner feel denied, unless they are very insecure, or you are deliberately trying to make them feel so in order to manipulate the situation for your own ends.
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    I see where you're coming from. I guess the distinction for me is that I don't see emotional closeness, or even finding someone other than one's partner attractive, as 'cheating', even if there is a sexual element to the emotion, provided that element is not acted upon in any way/shape/form (I would count explicit, outright sexually-orientated flirting that leads to mental arousal as very close to the line, but not necessarily over it, and the same leading to significant physical arousal as a definite issue). Is it 'cheating' to say "Bradley Cooper/Jessica Alba/insert-name-as-appropriate" is sexually attractive? Of course not. Is it 'cheating' to feel something for someone other than one's partner, whether that's affection or sexual attraction? I don't believe so, provided you don't act on that in a way that betrays your partner's presumed trust*, and I think most adults know what that entails.
    It seems that the way you see things is in direct opposition with the postulate used as a basis for the article/quote then (contained in the first few lines), which would maybe explain why you see things as more clear cut:
    In the day, it was very clear what constituted cheating. You had sex with somebody while you were married or engaged, and you also had to make great efforts to have an affair. But with all the new means by which people can connect today, cheating has become a whole new monster. There’s texting, Skyping and emailing. There are websites that cater to people who wish to fool around on their spouses. And along with these advances in technology, what counts as “cheating” seems to have become less cut and dry (i.e. it’s no longer just the physical act of having sex with someone else).

However, a point which I have sort of made in my previous answer (and which I feel is important):

- There is a difference between "sexual attraction" and "physical attraction" - obvious.
    - For many people, being attracted to someone "mentally", "emotionally" is a prerequisite to "sexual attraction" (physical and non physical) and can arguably even overcome "physical NON-attraction" (I wouldn't use "repulsion") - so if you are not necessarily "sexually-physically" attracted to a person, I believe you can still become "sexually-emotionally" attracted to that person given sufficient time to know the emotional side of the person.
    - "sexual-emotional" attraction will take some time to form - so it will be difficult to see it coming clearly. Also as a general rule, relationships and bonds grow stronger with time (as you invest more and more in the person).

So, what I imply is that by not being "physically-sexually" attracted to someone initially, a person might feel protected.
    I would guess however that if one continues to see/talk to a person freely, then they probably enjoy the company of that person, conversations, emotional/intellectual side (to an extent at least).
    Why would they stop seeing each other then? Will it be clear initially that the pleasure you have in spending time with a person will transform into "sexual attraction" later? ("It's just a friend")
    So this seemingly innocent behaviour can lead to "emotional attraction", which can then lead to "sexual attraction".

And, let's be realistic, since it is very likely that a partner in a relationship cannot cover 100% of one's emotional needs, people WILL BE attracted to some of the "emotional aspects" of other people outside of their relationship, to fill a void that they cannot fill within the confines of their relationship.

The last point is:
    Once someone realises one day that they have developed a strong emotional connection with another person outside of their relationship and their relationship starts to fumble, it's often too late and this is at this point that you decide to leave or cheat.

Personally, though, I don't feel the solution is as suggested in the original post/article to imprison the person in the relationship with you (this is how some of the advice felt to me), because your partner is bound to feel frustrated and - more importantly - you can be almost 100% certain that some day your partner will be in a situation where they are out of your watch and they will be offered a choice that could compromise your relationship.
    This is when you want them to make the right choice not because of your control, but because of their own desire to be with you.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I disagree that posting an article after reading about this topic in several different forums constitutes "keep rehashing it." Seems to me that the topic is quite relevant as other people keep bringing it up. Me having a different opinion does not equal needing counseling. In fact, my opinion is shared by the bulk of the people in my circle so I'm quite surprised to see it's in the minority here.That's the benefit of sharing opinions and being in a group where you can see how others think.

I think we need to agree to disagree here. Clearly I do not think you need counseling because we have differing opinions, that is ridiculous. However, it is very obvious that this has been an issue for you in the past, so it remains on the forefront of your mind. I also think that reading every self-help therapy and cheating/divorce blog or article to the point of ad-nauseum is rehashing too. Or perhaps the topic has religious undertones, which is why your circle feel the same as you? I don't know and I'm trying to give you constructive feedback (because you claim to enjoy seeing how others think) pointing out what seems glaringly obvious from the outside looking in based on what YOU choose to write and post.

Oh and you know what's killing me? The very Christian-like (and uninformed) comment on your homepage... :wink:
  • castadiva
    Options
    This is when you want them to make the right choice not because of your control, but because of their own desire to be with you.

Boom! This exactly. Isn't is so much better if your spouse/partner is faithful not because he/she has no choice, but because he/she sees the options, and actively decides not to act on their attractions because he/she wants to be faithful to you? For brevity's sake, and because I'm about to log off at work, I'll just say that I see your points (and I'm not sure I'm in absolute opposition to the premise of the article as a whole, or that I necessarily see 'cheating' as completely cut-and-dried), but I do maintain that one can have all of those emotional experiences, and still choose not to act on them in a way that constitutes 'cheating'. As I've said before, I don't think the feelings themselves are an act of infidelity, and I do believe, from my own experience, that we are essentially in control of what we do with our feelings.

Have a good weekend, everyone!:flowerforyou: