General chat

Options
Sometimes when I'm just out and about and feeling good I will forget how I look. Then I will catch my refection and instantly want to go hide. Does anyone else get these moments? In my head I'm still 20 year old me. Then I get mad at myself for letting myself gain this much. Then I get mad at everyone else for not having telling me I was getting fat.
I remember getting photos back 14 years ago and it was the first time I thought " whoa I've gained weight!" which now is hilarious since I was probably around 140 in the photo! I don't understand why I didn't pull the breaks then and instead gained 40 more lbs(probably more since I didn't have a scale until a few years ago)
It drives me nuts.that I actively denied how I looked and felt or that my husband didn't have a little heart to heart or anyone really. Sigh.
Just needed to vent.

Replies

• spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I have this same problem! I just got back from vacation and when I look at pictures of myself, I'm like OMG that can't be me! But it is :(

The weird this is that even when I was in my 20's and not overweight at all, I thought I was. I swear in my head, I am always mentally about 15 lbs overweight. So when I was a perfectly acceptable size, I felt bigger than I was. And now that I'm about 35lbs over ideal, I feel smaller than I am. I hope when I get the weight off, I can readjust my mental picture so I can just enjoy being healthy.

Catching my reflection in glass doors and windows is the worst. I literally don't recognize myself and then when I realize it's me, I feel like I've been punched in my (rather substantial) gut. Hate.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    Also just for the record, when I say "perfectly acceptable size" I mean, to me. Like when I look at pictures of myself when I was 25, I don't look overweight, but at the time I felt like I was. I'm not saying there is an acceptable size that applies to all people or anything.
  • threatsofpizza
    Options
    Also just for the record, when I say "perfectly acceptable size" I mean, to me. Like when I look at pictures of myself when I was 25, I don't look overweight, but at the time I felt like I was. I'm not saying there is an acceptable size that applies to all people or anything.

I have photos of me from when I was 19-25 and looking at them now some of them I cannot believe that at the time I thought I was overweight because I'm actually closer to being underweight! I grew up with a mother who was obsessed with being thin(still is) and I never ever thought that I was thin, even now she greets me with "have you lost weight?"
    It's a weird cycle to try to break and one that I desperately need to so my own daughter doesn't end up the same.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    Oh dude, totally. I don't have kids yet and I really hope I can work out some of these issues I have before I do because I don't want to pass them on either. It makes me sad for myself that I wasn't happy with how I looked when I was younger. I guess I should work on that now. I mean I want to lose weight but I don't want to get there and still feel inadequate somehow.
  • ricefordinner
    Options
    Yea, I have that going on too. I spent most of my teens and early 20s overweight, and then in my mid 20s I lost about 30 pounds, and I've gained about half of it back and trying to lose it now. Back when I lost the weight, I had the opposite happen- I'd see pictures of myself and not recognize myself looking so thin. I carry most of my weight in my bootie and thighs, so when I lose weight I have pretty bony looking chest and shoulders. I'd also pick out clothes that were too big and I'd brace myself for small spaces like I wouldn't fit in, like on the bus, and it would be fine. I think by the time I got used to my new size, I started packing the pounds on again! Here we go again...

My mom has a really messed up relationship with food and it was not pretty to grow up with. She was pretty disordered as a teen and adult, although when she became a mother she pulled out of the restricting and binging cycles, she continued to be obsessed with food and had a constant running commentary about how fat she was, how many calories, I can't believe I ate that, blah blah blah. There was always some new diet and some new expectation for herself, and she STILL does it and she's in her 60s! It's like, let up and just do what you want at some point! It really messed me up to be around that and as a result I've had some of my own issues and so has my brother. But I've done a lot of my own internal work on it and that's been helpful, but it is ongoing work. I also work a lot with people with EDs and disordered eating and that's been a very wonderful way to work through things too, plus to help others because I really get it. Every once in a while, I'll catch myself in front of the mirror just ripping myself apart with all of the commentary I always heard from my mom. It's so disturbing how we just absorb that as kids. So I really respect what you're doing, threatsofpizza, and really working hard so your daughter has a good relationship with food.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way. I was skinny most of my life but thought I was "fat" (which, to me, meant 15-20lbs overweight); now that I'm actually fat I feel like I'm skinnier. It's like my brain just decided, "Okay, your mental image of yourself is going to include slight chub, but never more than slight chub, regardless of what your actual body is doing."
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I"m the same way! I caught a reflection on myself in a full length mirror at work a few weeks ago, and I looked like a different person. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I always thought I was overweight at 140-150. Looking back now, I looked pretty good compared to what I see now. Other people say I don't look "that big", so maybe I have one of those disorders that make me see myself bigger than what I am, lol.
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way. I was skinny most of my life but thought I was "fat" (which, to me, meant 15-20lbs overweight); now that I'm actually fat I feel like I'm skinnier. It's like my brain just decided, "Okay, your mental image of yourself is going to include slight chub, but never more than slight chub, regardless of what your actual body is doing."

This exactly. I have been 100 pounds lighter than I am now, but I still feel like I look OK (even though I'm legitimately obese now). I now want to smack the 50 lbs. thinner version of myself who still thought she was "fat" upside the head. Perspective! Also, now that I'm a little older, I think less of my self confidence is tied up with my weight, which is totally awesome.... But I still need to lose weight and get fit. Sigh.
  • threatsofpizza
    Options
    Today I restarted tap class. So I'm sitting here on a Saturday night listening to muscles I haven't used all summer yell at me. It's so fun though! Another woman in the class had her pedometer on and we clocked in just over 1k of tapping!
    There is a circus school in the same building as my dance class and I've been thinking about taking a class there, they also have a hula hooping class.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    Hula hooping would be fun. Haven't done it in ages though, but I bet it's good for toning up your waist!