I'm so glad I found you...

Options
chelekaz
chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
Ok, it might sound stupid but I could cry that I found this group. I left MFP for about 6 months because I was in so much daily pain and so fatigued that I just couldn't do anything.

I popped back on yesterday and today was did a search hoping to find someone going through what I do.

I'm 38, mother of 2 awesome boys ages 10 and 7. I work from home as an administrative assistant for an engineering firm (real 9 - 5 job just get to do it from home office instead of driving to work - lucky I know!).

I have Hashimoto's, Hypothyroidism, Connective Tissue Disorder - and RA / Lupus is possibility but just not showing up in the lab work yet but ANAs are very high. I also had surgery 2 years ago to repair my tib / fib which I broke and now have a rod and screws in my leg to keep it all in place.

It's so frustrating knowing that I was getting down to almost 200 and now am almost 300...

Any suggestions on exercises that work I am all for. I used to do Zumba 2x a week, gym 3x a week and I was doing Kettleworx. I am not afraid of hard work and dedication ... but when I am so fatigued I can barely get off the couch or in so much pain that I have to call for pain meds I wonder if I will ever be able to do this.

Replies

• MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. I am rather new to MFP. I have a lot of autoimmune illnesses. I have a neuromuscular disease called Myasthenia Gravis which causes muscle weakness and fatigue, I also have fibromyalgia, asthma, arthritis and chronic pain.

All of these create difficulties in my being able to get to and maintain a healthy weight. I am hoping to get to a healthy weight. I know that I will never be a thin person, but hope to get under 150.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh Chelekaz, I feel your pain. Two years ago I was working with a personal trainer 2x/wk, working out on my own 1-2x/wk, and taking tennis lessons. I was mildly obese but making great progress at gaining muscle and losing fat. Since then I have been diagnosed with several different arthritic conditions of the joints and spine, plus fibromyalgia. I had a "freak accident" which led to a shoulder repair and an upcoming knee surgery. For the past year my only exercise has been physical therapy 2-3x/week. I essentially gave up and gained almost 50 pounds over those past 2 years. In early July I discovered MFP and it has been very helpful. I have to be much more vigilant about calories when I was when I was exercising, but I have made some good progress. I'm going to send you a friend request. Good luck!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Me four... Count me in. I've had various varieties of "itis"es: rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, iritis, dermatitis, etc. My body has a thing for autoimmune diseases.

The osteo has eaten all the cartilage in my knees, which last year started needing Cortizone shots to kill the pain just so I could walk. It worked for awhile but then started wearing off too quickly. (only allowed to take them every few months)

A knee surgeon suggested I lose weight before getting replacements. But I was in a Catch 22: at 317 pounds I couldn't exercise to lose weight, and I couldn't lose weight to get where I could exercise. He steered me towards bariatric surgery.

The bariatric informational classes taught me a lot. The biggest thing was protein shakes. There are some good ones that taste like milk shakes. They pack a lot of protein into a manageable amount of calories. And protein helped satisfy my hunger and gave me energy and helped my stomach shrink (cuz it's liquid/not bulky).

I also started 2 multivitamins and 3 CitricalMax+D3 per day - those are the only additional vitamins. They help my body get the nutrition it needs (help avoid cravings). Then there's the fact that I'm a carb addict, so I cut back (not full Atkins, but do stay away from processed starches). The last thing was learning to drink 8 Cups of liquid a day - in my case mostly water. It helps fill me up, and it may be my imagination, but it also feels like it flushes the toxins.

I did have the surgery; but the point is I lost 40 pounds (repeat: 40 pounds!) BEFORE surgery using these techniques. I lost enough weight to start walking again.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Wow, okay I feel better.

I am SOOOOO not alone. It's awful to be sitting here and thinking or feeling that I am just lazy. I should just push through this.
  • DDSA52
    DDSA52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Been searching the groups trying to find one that's active and fits my needs. I am Dot. I'm 52 and weigh in at 2001 lbs. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2000. I was pretty sure I had it in my 30s. I was diagnosed with CFS in 1985. I was diagnosed with a Chronic Depression in 2000. I developed Diabetes in 2005. When my weight ballooned up to 275lbs.After my FMS diagnosis I gained up to 300+ lbs. Stopped weighing myself at 295lbs because I did not want to see 300 on the scales. In 2007 I had a stroke.... that led to my working on getting my weight down. I lost 50+lbs on my own, just walking and trying to eat healthy (which I wasn't). I was diagnosed with spinal arthritis last year. Started working on losing more weight in October 2012.... saw a dietitian for Diabetic counseling who set me straight regarding healthy eating. Thing is I felt she wanted me to eat too much, because it was more than I was use to eating. So, I joined a healthy eating group on Facebook for those with chronic health problems and fibromyalgia. From Oct. until June 2013 I lost 30lbs. In June someone in the group suggested MFP, I joined ASAP. At first I was under a different account. I lost 15 lbs there. I joined on this account a week ago, I think. I've lost 5 lbs.
    My biggest problem is figuring out what to do for exercise. I walk everyday, not far or long. I do help my 77 year old mother around her place, mainly with gardening and lawn mowing. After I am in pain and exhausted for hours to days. Would love more information about exercise you can do at home that won't add to the pain and fatigue. I live in a very small hamlet away from any gym, pool or support. I don't drive. I need people who understand the challenges that Chronic pain brings to losing weight. My only current support is a daughter and one friend.
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I am new here and just starting my road to drop a lot of weight - 3 years back it all started for me - I had a tree fall on me and break my back. I was just starting to be able to walk around again and then last year I broke my ankle in 3 places (had to have surgery with plates and screws - I now have to walk with a cane). So I had to start all over again. I went from being very - very active to wanting to sleep all the time so I wasn't in pain. If you are sleeping then your body doesn't hurt. Would love more information about exercise you can do at home that won't add to the pain and fatigue. I would like the help from people who understand the challenges that Chronic pain brings to losing weight. I have cut my carb intake and I am able to walk slowly for about 10 minutes (non-stop) before I have to sit down and rest. If I push myself harder I end up not being able to function for days. My poor husband has taken over the cooking and housework - it's just enough for me to go to work each day (I have an office job). I just want to get stronger and get active again. I get so down looking around and seeing all the things that I need to get done and can't do it. Also would like suggestions for meal prep for healthy foods with a short prep time - my husband doesn't cook so we end up eating a lot of pre-made foods, sandwiches, and pick-up/take out foods. I have trouble standing more then 5-10 minutes at a time in one place - the pain gets just terrible in my lower back and ankle. Any help or suggestions would truly be welcomed - thanks for listening!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You have been and still are going through a lot. First off please don't take it out on yourself that you are unable to do all the things that you see needs to be done . I have chronic pain in a nerve in my face and have for 5 years been unable to even sweep, fold a towel ..etc. I couldn't cook. I go to acupuncture.
    I couldn't walk either due to bursitis in my hip and my face. I can't take it getting cold.

You need to know that since I started here my mindset has changed, overtime and all the stories I read I became more and more motivated. I couldn't stand to make a meal . After a few weeks of seeing all the exercise they were doing I thought I know I sleep most of my day due to pain but I am going to take 5 minutes and walk slowly around my house. If I can put a couple of dishes away on my walk I will or place chicken in the oven I will. After 2 weeks I started getting more inspired and brought it up to 5 minutes around the house 3 times a day and did 1 thing in the house and it made me so proud. I did have to go through the pain though but was ok with it . I have been able thankfully to add lots of exercise now, do more housework and cook.

For you, I know it is much different. If you could take that 10 minute walk a day and do it in the morning then after resting do it in the evening you would have 20 minutes of exercise for the day .That would be awesome . As for meals . Talk it over and have something taken out you could pop in the oven and that hubby could finish with some veggies or salad once he returned home. Add easy to prepare fruit,yogurt and things for yourself for lunch and premade salads from the day before . I am sure many others are on here with way more experience than I have that will have ideas but these are just some . The only thing is never let yourself get discouraged because if you eat the right food and in moderation with some exercise you will see differences . Feel free to inbox me anytime .