numb hands/fingers

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm back on the bike after an injury last Oct/Nov, building back up to 80-100km a day. Finding that in small rides- under 25km- my fingers/hands tingle and become numb quite a bit. It could be because I've put on quite a bit of weight since the injury. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions as to how to prevent it?
Thanks,

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid bike with a flatbar...I usually get this on the left hand, but today I tried to put more weight on the right...and sure enought, my right hand started feeling tingly. I have adjusted my seat properly, and bought a shorter stem to get most of my weigh on the seat, and not on my wrists, but my wrists still feel weird.
    I bought a hybrid because I am just getting back into biking (it's been about a year now), and i thought the upright riding position would be better than a road bike, but I think I was mistaken. I think a road bike is probably more comfortable on any ride longer than 30 minutes.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey there, glad to hear you're back on the bike. I had been riding a hybrid for years .....I upgraded to a road bike with drop handlebars about 6 weeks ago. I immediately began having hand pain and wrist numbness, so bad that my rides were limited to 15". I took the bike back to my LBS and they adjusted the handlebars and grips. I also bought a new pair of gloves with much more padding, and became more aware of not resting all my weight on my hands, and holding myself more upright. The pain and numbness is gone, and I am riding for an hour 3-4 times per week. Good luck to you!
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a few things:
    1. Make sure bike fits properly. LBS can help with this.
    2. wear good pair of gloves. Available at LBS for about $20
    3. Adjust riding position, as you are riding, to relieve stress on lower arms and hands
    Glad you are able to ride again and hope these suggestions help.
  • ghost15026
    Options
    Improper pressure on your ulnar nerve. Multiple possibilities. A change in bike fit caused by a change in the rider and/or a change in the bike itself. I can almost guarantee you it's the weight change, though.

More weight is on your wrist/hand and compressing the nerve. Shift weight balance to your backside (more upright biking position). This will take some stress off your wrists/hands.

My best recommendation is put bullhorns on the bike and/or change out the handlebars (consult a bike shop). Change hand positions frequently. Preferably, set the sections higher so your weight shifts back. Regardless, as you approach pre-injury weight the pain will subside.

Other alternatives: Shorten your reach by using a shorter stem or possibly raising your handlebars. On the more drastic (and costly end) you can consider a recumbent bike. Recumbents take the stress off your upper body, including hands.

Gloves are for protection and grip but not so much for comfort. You may find that you want a set of light, fingerless gloves to give you grip on bullhorns or other areas of the handlebars. The tiny bit of padding will dampen vibration as a bonus (gel is mostly a gimmick, as it is on saddles).
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Usually happens because you are gripping the bar too tight
    try focus on keeping your elbows bent and relaxed, this will also help with any back or shoulder discomfort