Feeling like crud

Espressocycle
Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
Ugg, I rode a measly 8 miles on Saturday and I was sore and useless all day Sunday. I need to either build up my climbing or drive to somewhere flatter...

mm3mlRY.jpg

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    You know the correct response to that choice. Building up is the fun part!
  • Espressocycle
    I wouldn't go that far. BEING built up might be the fun part, but building up is pretty terrible. I wish I had a hill nearby to practice on, but my part of town is flat as a day-old glass of beer.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I wouldn't go that far. BEING built up might be the fun part, but building up is pretty terrible. I wish I had a hill nearby to practice on, but my part of town is flat as a day-old glass of beer.

Understand, but my point is that building up means a lot of riding, and that is the fun part! Not really a big fan of the song, but the title applies, "Hurts so Good". Hopefully road biking and trail running is keeping me in reasonable shape to mountain bike. If the trails dry up we'll find out soon.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    What type of gears do you have on your bike?

You can do some minor climbing training by getting into your biggest gears on flats and even gentle inclines. Be careful through utilizing this technique and make sure you pay attention to the knee strain so you don't hurt yourself. Your drivetrain will need to be in good shape the bear the extra strain as well.

The type of bike does make a big difference. I starting riding a "cruiser" style bike and hills were much tougher than when I went to a road bike.
  • Espressocycle
    What type of gears do you have on your bike?

You can do some minor climbing training by getting into your biggest gears on flats and even gentle inclines. Be careful through utilizing this technique and make sure you pay attention to the knee strain so you don't hurt yourself. Your drivetrain will need to be in good shape the bear the extra strain as well.

The type of bike does make a big difference. I starting riding a "cruiser" style bike and hills were much tougher than when I went to a road bike.

This is mountain biking - I have a 3x10 drivetrain, which is more gears than anyone needs, but really I just need to build up my endurance and it's easy to get impatient. I've been cycling for years around town, but on flat roads. Trying to get up extreme inclines on treacherous trails is a whole other kettle of fish. I know it will happen and I'm eager to get back out and keep building my endurance, but I really overdid it on Saturday.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    970390_10151457658901886_1050717395_n.png

Stick at it and the buzz is the accomplishments you thought were impossible
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Sounds like it's time to go with my favorite quote then, "Pain is just weakness leaving your body"

Rule #5 Man ;-)

BTW, in preparation for 10-Gap October (128 miles with 16,000ft of elev. gain); I rode the big ring home http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1624718
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Stick this on your handlebars and meditate upon it...

9699395_3913.jpg
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Stick this on your handlebars and meditate upon it...

9699395_3913.jpg

^^^this. And plenty of TI TS (time in the saddle).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I ride only on paved paths, but there are often inclines and slower riders to go around. I work out my legs once a week, and the strength has really helped me on hills and for that burst of speed to get a round a big group of senior citizens out bike riding. I think the leg press and squats help the most.
  • cccorlew
    cccorlew Posts: 10 Member
    That QR code is nice, but I prefer a simple HTFU embedded upon my jersey.
    When kids ask, I tell them it means "Hug The Friendly Unicorn" but we know better, right.

Anyway, to get stronger ride mode. That's about it.
  • Spinning bike. Turn up the resistance knobs and watch your knees. Or ride 1-2 gears lower and purposely watch your cadence drop/resistance spike. Same with the knees. Try it all in 20-30 second intervals, then switch back down. Try it standing, seated.

Lunges. Squats. More squats.

Recovery nutrition after 1 hour rides. Drink some 1% chocolate milk after each ride to get back 1/3 to 1/2 of those calories.

Have bike rack, will travel. The irony of driving an hour to ride a bike for a few hours. Bring yourself to the mountain since you know it won't come to you lol.

You'll be sore for a while. But one day you will eventually wake up the next day and feel fine. I was in the same boat years ago.

Keep riding!
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    I used to struggle on the hill climbs, but I have found that some fitness and a fair bit of strength training has made a huge difference.. traditionally I would choose to grind up hills and be wrecked by the top but now I can sit in the granny and drag myself up all sorts of hills, long and / or pinch climbs :smile:

The best part is that you will notice the change all of a sudden rather than gradually.. such a great feeling!!

Hope you manage to work through the tough part :smile: