How many carbs?

Options
emmerin78
emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
Greetings all!!

For those of you sleevers who have been at this awhile, how many carbs do you find yourself eating per day? I'm only a little over 2 weeks out from surgery, so I'm still not eating much of anything, but I want to try and prepare for when I'm back in the real "day to day" of preparing meals, etc.

Thanks!

Tara :)

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs, at least not yet. At three months out I have some carbs daily but I don't consciously follow them. What I do is exactly what the doctor said. 1) eat your protein first 2) if you have room have vegetables or fruit, THEN if you still have room (not likely at this stage) you can have some starches or other carb heavy food.

The other thing I am working on, but it is much harder for me since it is fixing my brain, is the doctors other command to me: "Stop Dieting! Get out of that mindset because dieting is a chore. Live. Eat and be conscious of what you eat, but do not turn it into calorie counting and make it unpleasant. That is when you fail."

Good luck with your journey!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

I agree with dward... you won't want them initially! I'm 5 months out and I monitor them, but not obsessively! I try to stay in the 50 range. Remember to subtract fiber from total carbs for your net carbs - that's all that matters!

Good luck! There are SO many great people on here who are just KILLING it with their sleeve! 100, 200 pounds lost! Lots of good info. You're in the right place! Best wishes!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My WLS program nut. told me you need to have 130 grams of carbs a day for healthy brain function. So, I usually have 130 and sometimes more. I know alot of programs only want people to have 50 or 75 and I mentioned this to my WLS nut at my 1 year post op and she was shocked that people were told that since it isn't healthy really.
    Good luck!
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I actually wasn't really thinking about it in terms of wanting to eat carbs, but more in the sense of the carbs that often accompany proteins when made in "everyday" food (like sauces, etc.). I've been hovering around the 40 to 50 mark thus far, but I will just concentrate on the protein intake and not worry so much about the carbs. I think, like you say, the fixation on carb count may be a relic from my dieting days, and I definitely need to shift my mindset :)

Thanks again, and congrats on all your amazing, healthy changes - you're all doing great!
  • k9qt
    k9qt Posts: 16
    Options
    Instead of looking at your carbs, look at your protein, fiber and sugar. If you keep your sugar low (under 25 preferable which is hard) fiber at least 15, and protein at least 60 I don't think the carbs will matter at all. Problem is that carbs come from so many things so having 50 grams of carbs instead of 160 is absolutely no good at all if all the carbs came from sugar. That helps me out, I found I could eat a lot of junk keeping my carbs at 160 but my sugars were through the roof. Now I still get at least 150 carbs a day but they are different carbs, my fiber and protein have gone up and my sugars are way down. I have had no problems losing and getting to goal weight that way. (along with many other things but as it pertains to carbs anyway) Hope that makes sense!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm four and a half months out and my goal is to stay at 1240 calories and 70-90 grams of protein. Today I had 90 grams of protein 90 carbs which included a whole tomato, two cups of cherries and two small homemade corn tortillas and the rest of my calories were from fat... I like getting a lot of fat in my diet.... I've done low-fat before and I felt horrible. I can cut carbs down to 20 net carbs per day and still function great, but I don't do well when I cut my fat.

You can't necessarily go by me though.. I eat more than most sleevers at this stage of the game.
  • Blackcloudkygirl
    Blackcloudkygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 weeks out and I try and make sure I get 70 -90 protein and under 35 carbs. My body works,better this way and lose more. If you concentrate on your protein, the carbs should fall into a reasonable place.

I have lost 56 since my surgery and 134 total since I began the vsg program. I started off at a really high weight of 438lbs, so I think my body handles things differently.

-Christy
  • theBabycakes
    theBabycakes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    These are the guidelines my nutritionist gave me. :)
    I am 3 months out.

Calories 800-1200

Fat. 25-33

Carbs. 80-100

Protein. 60-86

Water. 64-96oz
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY conservative MD. Had my surgery 5/28/13 and am expected to stay at 600 calories a day, with 90-100 grams of protein and less than 30 grams of carbs. Don't have much trouble with any of it, since I can only eat 1/4 c of food at one time. I started on the post-op diet (a little higher calorie/carb count) about 2 months before surgery and have lost 87 pounds total. Feel great!
  • HorizontallyImpaired
    Options
    My surgeon recommends 40g carbs or less a day.
    I focus on Protein 70-90 grams. I do not drink protein shakes and I have a water intake of 8-14 cups per day.
    I am usually around 1,000 calories and my fat is between 50-70g (a lot of cheese)
    I am 13 months post off and have lost a total of 160 pounds (lost 22 pounds prior to joining MFP)
  • tracer1223
    tracer1223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara - as you can see, there is a lot of variety in what sleevers are told to eat as far as carbs :-) I'm at 4 months post-op today and what has worked well for me is the following;

600-800 calories a day
    80-100 grams of protein
    40 grams of carb or less
    100 oz. of water

There are days when I go over 800 calories. That happens when I add in some good fats like nuts or avocadoes. When I go over 40-50 carbs per day my weight loss slows waaaaaay down. I'm 51 years old, 5'3" and started off at 218 lbs. I've lost 56 lbs. in exactly 4 months. I'm steadily losing 2 lbs. per week. Just wanted to give you a frame of reference on it.

Best of luck as you continue your journey!
  • ChrisTina_Fisher
    Options
    I wasn't really given any guidelines, except to keep my protein around 60 - 80 grams a day, sugar at 10 or less per food item, and fat at 10 or less per food item. I have found that there are foods below 10 grams of sugar that are high in carbs. I have always been sensitive to carbs, so I try to keep them at 60 or below. If I don't keep them low, I tend to gain weight. :-/