introducing myself

Options
sarahslayer
sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
Hello all

I just joined myfitnesspal yesterday. I had the VSG surgery about 3 years ago and very easily lost about 75 lbs which was my goal. For about a year or so it was incredibly easy to keep the weight off and my bad habits just vanished on their own. Gradually I have gotten back into bad habits, the worst of which is snacking in front of the tv after I put my kids to bed (including a beer). I find that although I still can't eat a large 'meal', I can snack on bad carbs continuously. I started to put on weight (about 7 or 8 lbs) and I did 'loseit'. At first the weight came off fast, then I stalled, got frustrated and now I'm a total of 15lbs from where I want to be and stay. I refuse to gain slowly and keep on gaining like what happened before I had the surgery so I am trying to nip this in the bud. I know I have to break habits, not just reduce calories but one day at a time.

I think that VSG is a wonderful surgery choice btw!!!

nice to meet you:)

Sarah

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Glad you found the group. I find MFP a valuable tool for tracking and support. I hope you too will find what you need to pull back on track here.

Welcome!
  • sarahslayer
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Rebecca_139
    Rebecca_139 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah - we are in the SAME BOAT! Currently trying to lose my regain. :( Let's do this thing!
  • sarahslayer
    Options
    Yes. Let's!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Carbs are so addictive! Can you go cold turkey?

My sister (who is not a surgical candidate) heard what I had to do to get sleeved (lost 40# pre-op) and followed the same pattern to get back on track. She's been really successful and happy with it.

To re-set:
    Switch to a liquid diet for a week. Especially protein shakes. Try to avoid fruit juice (high cal). Dairy, Soups (strained), Sugar-free (jello, popsicles, pudding and kefir) are all okay. Take vitamins. The key is enough protein and vitamins for nutrition and staying full on liquids. And waiting for the cravings to fade!

To maintain:
    DAILY:
    Under 1200 Calories
    6-8+ cups water
    Vitamins - 2ea Multivitamins (200%) & 3ea CitriCal maxi + D3
    95+ gm Protein
    Under 115 gm Carbs
    Over 5 gm fiber
    Under 5gm sugar
    40 gm fat (avoid transfats)
    WEEKLY:
    Vit B12
  • sarahslayer
    Options
    I started out very high protein, plus I added exercise, plus just that feeling of starting something fresh. So far so good although I know the first week is relatively easy, it's the 'long haul' that is hard.

That is a good idea though that I'm going to keep in mind if I start having a lot of carb cravings or difficulty following through.

Thanks!